Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

developed AIMSource.com - Steady Growing Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

impulse

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not believe they said that, and even if they did, I am sure their legal department would think differently.

- Eric
http://www.bored.com

JohnGBUK

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I fail to see the connection with AOL in respect of this domain and it's use. Can someone put me in the picture here?

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AIM is Aol Instant Messenger which is the focus of the site.

impulse

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
AOL has a trademark on the phrase "AIM" and can enforce that trademark however they see fit. They have already shut down AIMster. It is not very likely they would go after a site like aimsource, but there is always a slight chance.

I run a large company, so I have too much too lose in doing battle with AOL, but if I was just a small home business with a few websites I would not worry about it.

- Eric
http://www.bored.com

phrone said:
Yes it is, but AIM and AOL are two different things..

AIM is just one of the features that AOL offers, the only decent one actually.

impulse

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
phrone said:
So I take it your offer is 100% gone?

Buy AIMSource for $650.00

Hopefully you didnt ruin this thread by scaring people about TM issues where there are none.

Yes, my offer is no longer valid. But, the site does seem like a good deal for somebody else who would not be as concerned with the legal problems. I run a big company and can't afford the risk, even if it is very slight. I did not ruin this thread though. The DNForum admin put it in a category for sales with trademark issues, so that is what started it.

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
impulse said:
AOL has a trademark on the phrase "AIM" and can enforce that trademark however they see fit. They have already shut down AIMster. It is not very likely they would go after a site like aimsource, but there is always a slight chance.

I believe that this is completely incorrect. AIMster had nothing to do with AIM messaging. AIMster was trying to do the same thing as Napster did, and they met similar fate. The owner of the company is local to where I live. The "AIM" was because his daughter was named Aimee, and she was prominantly exploited on the site with her pictures everywhere. AOL may have joined in on the legal problems that led to its demise, but it was the music industry that were leading the charge.

As far as risk goes, you need to do the checking with your own legal sources. But, I think you can look at the history. There are a TON of sites with "AIM" in their name that are AIM community sites. I don't know of any of them that have been attacked by AOL. AOL is in hot competition for share with Microsoft and Yahoo, so it would be silly for them to target and attack the community to which they are trying to grow. I see very little risk with this. Further, how much is at risk... for $650 you could just shut it down if they really attacked you.

To the contrary, Ebay has gone after ANY site with "ebay" in the url. It would be suicide to try and run a site with such a url.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree...very very low risk as long as you aren't distributing anything harmful to AIM they will most likely leave you alone.

phrone

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mccollin said:
I believe that this is completely incorrect. AIMster had nothing to do with AIM messaging. AIMster was trying to do the same thing as Napster did, and they met similar fate. The owner of the company is local to where I live. The "AIM" was because his daughter was named Aimee, and she was prominantly exploited on the site with her pictures everywhere. AOL may have joined in on the legal problems that led to its demise, but it was the music industry that were leading the charge.

As far as risk goes, you need to do the checking with your own legal sources. But, I think you can look at the history. There are a TON of sites with "AIM" in their name that are AIM community sites. I don't know of any of them that have been attacked by AOL. AOL is in hot competition for share with Microsoft and Yahoo, so it would be silly for them to target and attack the community to which they are trying to grow. I see very little risk with this. Further, how much is at risk... for $650 you could just shut it down if they really attacked you.

To the contrary, Ebay has gone after ANY site with "ebay" in the url. It would be suicide to try and run a site with such a url.

Thanks for that mccollin! Thats what I wanted to say, but didn't know how. Also thanks to labrocca for helping out :)

Hopefully someone realizer theres no threat to buying this site, as it pretty much helps out AIM!

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By the way, the site is down at present with this:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the The Domain Name Forum database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's not your site that's down. Your link in your signature produces that message. The url in your signature link is an invalid dnforum url.

Alexander

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A little update:

Threads: 1,789
Members: 588

impulse

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What will happen with the existing forum moderators? Will they stay? If I bought it, how much work do you estimate I would have to do per week to run it?

- Eric
Bored.com

I will pay $600 for aimsource.com. I would want to use escrow.com for the closing, but I will pay the escrow.com fees.

- Eric

Alexander

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All PMs answered. AIMSource.com has been SOLD!

Thanks Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom