Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Canadian presence for .ca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was curious and looked into who owned xxx.ca...to my surprise both admin and technical are listed as US addresses. Does this make sense and if so how was that possible?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They might have a Canadian operation of some sort but have chosen not to list it.

Or it could be they bought it, and have no right to be sitting on it.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would be possible for example if they owned a Canadian trademark.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You probably won't know unless you banged pots with CIRA. Since you can simply lie about prescene when reg'ing a .ca, there isn't alot of incentive to be honest, if you have a chance to get a premium name.

Chances are they have some tie to the regulations, but alot of people do not, when CIRA comes calling, if, they come calling.

Jay

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting to know. I mean I'd prefer it if .ca was open to everyone at this point anyway. But, if you're going to have rules, you might as well try to stick to them (I would think so anyway).

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The official categories that you need to belong to in order to register a .CA

Corporation or Registered Charity (Canada or Canadian province or territory)
Canadian citizen
Permanent Resident of Canada
Government or government entity in Canada
Canadian Educational Institution
Canadian Unincorporated Association
Canadian Hospital
Partnership Registered in Canada
Trade-mark registered in Canada (by a non-Canadian owner)
Canadian Trade Union
Canadian Political Party
Canadian Library, Archive or Museum
Trust established in Canada
Aboriginal Peoples (individuals or groups) indigenous to Canada
Indian Band recognized by the Indian Act of Canada
Legal Representative of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
Official mark registered in Canada
Her Majesty the Queen

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's pretty broad list of things you can sign up under.

At this point I don't know why CIRA isn't just going to let anyone register them. They are probably concerned with protecting the integrity of the .ca identity. However, to date, the .ca suffix is not picking up like alot of the others have.

This may be why.

Jay

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well they can open it up after I finish buying up more LLL.ca's.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do we have an active count on the remaining LLL.ca's left?

Jay

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think pretty much anyone can own a .ca. While looking up certain names in the past, I have seen registrants from Mexico to France. If you're not afraid to tell a lie than you can own a .ca.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think pretty much anyone can own a .ca. While looking up certain names in the past, I have seen registrants from Mexico to France. If you're not afraid to tell a lie than you can own a .ca.

That's true, but there is nothing stopping the person finding the non-requirement meeting domain details and reporting it to CIRA. I would imagine most high value .ca's are done on the up and up, for who would want to pay decent money only to lose the domain later?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do we have an active count on the remaining LLL.ca's left?

Jay

There are many left but the dictionary lll's are all gone, as are nearly all the lll's with good acronym meanings... by me. :eek:k:

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

True... I've seen a number of premium names owned by people outside Canada.

But people do lose their names though - zzz .ca recently dropped, and if you search for it on google, you'll come accross a guy's blog who complains about having lost it last year for registering it with fake info.

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would imagine most high value .ca's are done on the up and up, for who would want to pay decent money only to lose the domain later?

I agree. I'm sure the xxx.ca owner has done his homework to protect his a$$. But who knows. Maybe he could have some relationship to the Queen. Who's gonna prove him wrong??? :)

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But people do lose their names though - zzz .ca recently dropped, and if you search for it on google, you'll come accross a guy's blog who complains about having lost it last year for registering it with fake info.

If I am not mistaken, the zzz.ca domain name was registered to canoe.ca. I sent an email to billing AT canoe.ca about the name when I noticed it was inactive. But if the article from your search on Google is true, this would be the idiot that set a fake email to that. For unknown reasons.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm sure the xxx.ca owner has done his homework to protect his a$$. But who knows. Maybe he could have some relationship to the Queen. Who's gonna prove him wrong??? :)

You're right, you never know. All it would take is for someone to contact CIRA, and who knows, we might be in for an interesting auction in a couple months...

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen it before, more so recently than anytime.

If they dont meet the requirements they are just playing a risky game that's all.
Must suck to own a premium name that can be taken away from you at any moment.
Must suck more to have bought the name for $xxx+ and have the same happen.

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I really think that CIRA needs to step up to the plate to live by their guidelines. What is the point of a company if you can't even follow your own rules? I'm sure a few (maybe 10% or less) of the domains registered outside of Canada do have some sort of "Canadian presence" but the majority do not.

The rule should be simple. If your "Administrative Contact" is not Canadian, you cannot register a domain. I'm sure people will still find a way around this but it would help a lot!

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree 100%. It would make things easier for everyone. Afterall, why have these rules if you don't follow them? And in all honesty, who is related to the Queen and is a domainer? I'd really like to know! lol

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree 100%. It would make things easier for everyone. Afterall, why have these rules if you don't follow them? And in all honesty, who is related to the Queen and is a domainer? I'd really like to know! lol

LOL no kidding!

But as a side note - if someone was to check on all the premium .ca's registered for potentially false/non-residence meeting registration information - it could make for some very interesting Wednesdays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators