Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Cuba, What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"It was quite surprising last year for Cuba to allow international calls and access from cell phones. But the plans and phones are so pricey I am not sure how many bought into this."

I was surprised, on my most recent trip to Cuba, just how many Cubans are using cell phones, there were lots.
Thanks again, regarding the US problem with Com Net etc website development, and the Cuban Restrictions, however, this only strengthens the idea for some Ca websites using their Canadian registrar. So, again Canadians could easily, start their Cuba travel sites and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I,m considering my next trip to Cuba, and looking at Nov 09 or Jan 2010. These dates usually offer, the best deals on all inclusive travel to the Varadero. I like 2 weeks because with all the food and drinks included, it takes that long to acclimatize. I have not set any preference, as to which month I pick, since the last minute vacations have proven to be well worth it, over booking in advance. The only thing a tourist needs to book is his vacation time.
If anyone would like to connect with me in Cuba and/or either of these months are intriguing, let me know which, I,d be happy to personally share some of the tips and a few drinks under the Cubana sky.
If you have been thinking about going to Cuba, now is the time to consider this option.
Let me know :)

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost in january? all inclusive for 2 weeks....?

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost in january? all inclusive for 2 weeks....?
All-inclusive in the Varadero for a 4 star, probably 1400 to 1600 from Calgary, but Toronto is quite a bit less like 1000 to 1200 for 2 weeks, this is guessing that last minute deals will continue as they have in the past :)
I like January, in part because, the weather is usually more predictable, and nice and warm. Its a wonderful time to be in Cuba, away from Canada,s winter and snow. Makes a fellow forget about the cold and breaks up the months, until spring gets closer. The excitement and fun, I get in my veins, is like antifreeze, I can,t feel the cold for weeks back in Canada, but when the chill hits, it hits hard. lol

When I read something like this:

http://www.royalhideawayensenachos.ca/PDFs/TheProvinceArticle.pdf

It makes me want to get there muy rapido.

I have not been to Santa Clara, but plan on it one day.

"To get a feel of the real Cuba, however, sign up for the many excursions. The
most popular is the tour of nearby historic Santa Clara."

I would say, "To get a feel of the real Cuba, however, have dinner with a Cuban family in their house, and really break out of the tourist stuff, by hanging out with the locals in the little towns". but thats me :)
Love this stuff...

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey... LOVE the conversation.

I have 2500 Cuba domains and have developed a couple dozen.

If anyone is selling Cuba domains, let me know.

I am buying Cuba domain names.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well check, allinclusivevaradero.com and for laughs hold your mouse over the site at www-cuba.com.
This Nov 2010 will be a great vacation just outside of Havana, Playa del estates area. This is one of the popular beaches where the local cubans go. There is a free shuttle bus from the Hotel, Tropicoco a couple times a day, into Havana. The discos are so fun, and there are a number close by, cerveza costs a $1, Cubans are awesome! Its a real party time...

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think you mean Playas del Este... beaches of the east.

Nice area. Gee, I wonder who has the .com ;-)

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I liked this review from Tripadvisor, enough to post it here:
For those who take the time to read it, notice the part about Cuban men find all women beautiful, " maybe I am more Cuban then I thought" :)

Beautiful: Marea del Portillo has me hooked”
Club Amigo Farallon del Caribe - Marea del Portillo

JennyC-Muskoka 1 contribution
Huntsville
May 22, 2010 | Trip type: Solo travel
7people found this review helpful
Club Amigo Marea del Portillo, in the Granma region of Cuba, has tenderly hooked my heart. I ended up there by fluke, not knowing that others from my home community of Muskoka had already discovered this small gem and had been visiting annually for several years. I certainly understand why people return again and again, as I have begun doing.

The affordability of this modest Sunwing-operated resort was the initial attraction for me, as I’m sure it is for many budget-conscious travelers. Before going to Club Amigo Marea del Portillo (MdP) for the first time in 2009, I’d never been to Cuba, or to an all-inclusive resort, and I was a bit apprehensive. But, the price was right and the reviews I read reassured me that this was a safe place and not a big party zone – I didn’t want to spend my vacation dodging drunks. I wanted to indulge in a variety of outdoor activities, and to soak up some saltwater and sun. MdP fulfilled my requirements and exceeded my expectations. I am most decidedly hooked.

Last year (2009), I visited in April with one amiga, then in October with four, for only a week each time. I’ve just returned from my third visit, this time on my own for two glorious weeks, April 22-May 6, but it was not enough. I am in no danger of tiring of this laid-back resort and the surrounding community. I’m already planning my next two-week cultural immersion and, this time, I want to take a posse of pals and show them why this humble little place is so special to me.

I think it’s sometimes easier to show people than to tell them why a place is special but I’ll try to explain. Perhaps I should start with the negatives, as in what MdP is NOT. It’s not a party-down dude, drink ‘til you drop kind of resort but, if you want, you can do that. It’s not a place for pull-out-all-the-stops pampering but you can get your nails done and have a nice, relaxing massage. It’s not perfect but, to me, it’s perfectly wonderful.

Why is it so wonderful? Let’s start with the setting. The scenic beauty of the area is second to none. The historic and majestic Sierra Maestra mountains tower above the eastern lip of the horseshoe bay, stalling the sun’s rise. One of my favorite morning activities was to stroll the few meters from my cabana to the beach – out the back door, essentially – and to float in the gently undulating ocean as I watched the sun come up. The beach in front of the hotel complex is well tended, cleaned each and every morning, and monitored most of the day by a core of fit-looking lifeguards. The bay itself is generally quite safe for swimming and the shoreline is interesting to hike along and explore.

More adventurous pursuits than hiking are also possible, such as kayaking in the mangrove at the far end of the bay. Elier, my favorite sail master (he and several others provide very fun rides on the resort’s catamarans), said I should look for manatees, or sea cows, grazing in the mangrove...maybe I’ll see one on my next visit. I would highly recommend going out on a catamaran on a windy day, if you want a rippin’ ride and don’t mind getting splashed. When it’s not so windy, you can have still have a nice time sailing, or you may want to take a kayak out and tour about.

I should also mention there are numerous other activities available, from horseback riding to poolside bingo, should you choose to participate. And, every evening, there’s an enjoyable variety show, featuring a cadre of engaging entertainers and skilled local dancers and singers, such as Robertico, a perennial crowd pleaser. Entertainment manager Ricardo Buzzy consistently puts together a well-rounded professional show, although that can be a challenge due to equipment limitations. Most nights, the resort’s top-notch house band, Integracion Sonora, delights music aficionados and encourages dancing. (For a sample of their performances, a Google search of the band’s name, or that of their phenomenal lead guitarist, Gerardo Caldosa, will lead you to some YouTube clips.)

Everything I’ve written so far, however, is really just about the physical reasons why this resort a winner in my books. All those reasons would not be enough to hook my heart. The vital ingredient that makes Marea del Portillo a truly exceptional place, in my opinion, is the people. The resort staff works extremely hard to make sure all guests are well served and happy. If you address a complaint to Elena de Moya, Sunwing’s on-site representative, she will do what she can to rectify the perceived problem and will follow up with the complainant later.

Last fall, for instance, the buffet was suffering – many people say “don’t go to Cuba for the food,” which is unfair but, truly, the food quality was slipping badly at that time. Numerous people voiced concern to Elena and, in short order, there was noticeable improvement. This year, I’m pleased to report, the food was the best ever in my trio of visits. There was something for every palate, plenty of options at each meal, and visible attention paid to presentation. And, I want to point out, it’s not easy to meet North American culinary expectations in an isolated, impoverished rural region where food is not always readily accessible. Compared to what is available for the people living in the area, we tourists are fed like kings.

Regarding the food, my only suggestion to the resort management would be that more traditional Cuban food be offered on a daily basis, such as dishes made with goat meat. That’s what the locals eat, so why can’t it be a staple on the buffet? There is no shortage of goats!

Getting to know the local people has been the most rewarding and important part of my whole Marea del Portillo experience; they have touched my soul. The resort team is reliably helpful and friendly but, beyond the resort’s fenceless boundaries, the people are typically the same – warm, welcoming and wonderful. Even though you are an alien on their home turf, they make you feel comfortable and accepted with a simple smile and nod or by offering you some fresh fruit or a beverage. If you make an effort to have a conversation and take the time to get acquainted, you will likely see sincere curiosity sparkling in your new friend’s eyes.

Social interactions of all types sparkle in Cuba and, certainly, there’s no lack of flirtatious behavior. However, in my experience, Cuban men are rarely pushy or overbearing. They are generally much more respectful than many North American men. You will know you’re being admired but you don’t need to worry about being harmed, unless you’re allergic to the flower someone hands you as you walk by. For me, that’s just added entertainment.

One evening in October, when my friend Maykel (one of the entertainers) was gregariously flirting with a circle of amigas clustered around a pod of pushed-together tables by the pool, he commented, “Cuban men think all women are beautiful.” Of course, we all smiled, which I assumed was the goal. Now, after my third visit, I see more truth in the line than I originally did. During my recent, longer sojourn, I was able to wade more deeply into the culture and do more people watching. I observed that women of all ages, sizes and nationalities are warmly greeted and flirted with in a polite, sweet style that inspires smiles. It’s harmless fun. It’s good for the ego.

When one is gently encouraged to feel beautiful, it’s easy to comply. It’s easy to smile. That’s not the primary reason I will keep returning to this warm land, and to the special place known as Club Amigo Marea del Portillo, but it’s a nice perk. The resort staff encourages guests to view it as their “second home,” and most returnees seem to do just that – women, men and children. I feel very much at home there, completely relaxed and happy, and it’s obvious that many other individuals and families feel the same; the return rate is phenomenal. Some Canadians I met have been going there for decades, often several times a year.

When I’m there, I can’t stop smiling. When I’m there, I feel beautiful. I think you will too. When you go, say hello to everyone for me – including the goats!

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well anyone want a quick vacation,
I plan on going soon, below are some prices for Sept 26 Sun

Hotel Tropicoco

Area: Santa Maria del Mar Playa del Este, Cuba
Located 30 minutes east of Havana’s historical centre, this resort offers a wide range of services in a genuine Caribbean atmosphere and is ideal for those wanting to enjoy the beach (The girls from Havana come to this beach) and be close to the excitement of Havana.
Property Amenities:• 188 room(s)• 1 building(s)• Shop(s)($)•Medical Services($)•Beauty Salon($)•Spa($)•Internet Cafe($)•Jacuzzi• 3 restaurants(s)• 4 bar(s) ... View more info
Save upto 5% on this package
Alternate departure dates

Package includes Flight + Hotel + Transfers Save up to $27 on this vacation!
Room
Meal plan: All Inclusive
Supplier: Sunwing Vacations
Airline: Sunwing Airlines - Champagne Flights
8 Days Leaves Calgary Sun. Sep 26 $545 + taxes $221 ( we get less days here in cowtown)
14 days Leaves Toronto Sun Sept 26 $575 + taxes $220 ( Toronto does better with more days)

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would love to go especially since I own SantaMariaDelMar.com and PlayasDelEste.com :)

However, a small minority of old Cuban exiles give money to US politicians to restrict my freedom to travel hence the 48 year old failed "Plan A" Embargo.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can easily get to Toronto and out.
Anyways, Rob here is a piece I wrote on Havana, Cuba.

Viva Havana Good-bye Canada

Go to Casa de la Musica, visit the El Aljibe, and go to the Los Nardos, but live!
Change has not been hurried, on this island of contradictions, nor should you. Cubans may say this is a bad thing, but us, the tourist, we embrace it, and enfold our arms around it, like a forgotten love.
Warm to our hearts, our eyes taking pictures, like washed out photos, in the dimly lit streets of Habana and O'Reilly, shaking our reality, is this 2010 or the 1950,s.
Catching my breath, I pinch myself, is this surreal or what! Elegant decay surrounds me, with the state of repairs, limited to funds from UNESCO or scarce government sources. Despite this, there is happiness and revelry in this place.
Eat in a quaint cafe, with the blue sky your ceiling and the puff of cigar smoke, clouding your vision, filling your sense of smell with a magnifiant nostalgia of yesteryear. Local statues watch on, as the poem of Hemmingway,s scribes through the minds eye,'For whom the bell tolls'.
Aside from the awe-inspiring street musicians and awesome architecture, the hustle of the jinatero/as is a huge part of the passion on this Tropical island.
Take the local transit and go the roof tops at night, for an intoxicating sight of life in Havana. Though little, the locals lot, with a smile, you will be offered, all they hold, their casa, food, and heart. Succumb, to the Cuba libres and Cuban Ron. Don,t let culture be a barrier, dance with anyone and everyone’s partner, take turns, let the sweat mingle on your salsa hips, the cigar smoke form dancers in the air, and taste the spilled mijito,s splashed on your moist skin, its Havana, your experience! Cuba has a spirit, thats once embraced, leaves no room for other lovers. It possesses you, so revel in it and diarise it for posterity. The next day you can go off to the beach. As expected, it tends to be more of the same, drinking, swimming, and sunbathing, under the relentless rays of the Cuban sun.
Its overwhelming, though your head may pound, raise your glass to the treasure found, so salute the writers before you, we are finally one, held prisoner for the moment! Viva Cuba.

Tedge Sept 2010

Feel Free to put it in your Havanajournal, its only been published here :)

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Tedge, can you PM me those links with prices out of Toronto ?

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have replied investor. Sure would be a memorial trip with a few extra buds from the domain world. I can,t think of a better place to go to thrill and chill then Havana Cuba. If any of you guys or gals are broken hearted and single, this is a wonderful temporary escape. People have found some serious healing of their battered emotions after a trip there. lol

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well its off to Cuba, just outside of Havana, going to be a sweet time!
Got a great deal for $575 all inclusive, straight flight, anyone need info let me know, I,ll take some pics :)

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow very useful information.. Thanks.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lets met in Havana, next week :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a felony for US citizens ? :)

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They practice don't ask, don't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators