Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dan selling DNFORUM? for 5k Plus???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By exagerating the Mod's value so much it resulted in great negativity in general and requests for the 3 Mods to start their own forum and indications of extensive migration to it from here.

If people are exagerrating the Mod's value, don't you think the members here are smart enough to see that? Each of us is fully capable of determining how valuable the moderators input has been to us individually. Some will value it very highly, others might not. There is no mind-control going on here. Suggestions of extensive migration away might be exagerrated too.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:confused: Stupid Newbie Question du Jour :rolleyes:

What is "DK" ??? Is that another forum?

BD :D

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also newbie, but think DK = DOmainKing - another member from another forum or sumfin.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed the DNForum community and would like to add two cents to this discussion. Right now DNForum without moderators is like a ship without a rudder. A large ship will coast in the right direction for a while due to momentum... but eventually there will be an obstacle to negotiate around. For Dnforum, being without a rudder can work for a little while, but sooner or later a destructive thread or person is likely to happen... which could cause deterioration. To avoid this and recover some value for DNForum...

1. Dan and prior mods should work something out (increasingly unlikely each passing hour and perhaps now too late)

2. Dan and buyer should call off deal and Dan should immediately seek new mods (I could go into detail about what that may involve but do not want to prejudice things here)

3. Dan and buyer do deal immediately and immediately start moderating and seek new mods.

Coasting without a rudder and complaining will not avoid icebergs.

Best wishes to all.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, unless the "former' mods end up buying the forum (which may seem unlikely now), I don't think that they'll come to an agreement. It seems that feelings were hurt, and there was a sense of betrayal.

My question: Were the two offers coincidental, or did the second offer spring up in response to the pending sale, muddying the waters so to speak?

If the difference was "only" $800, then some accomodation should have been possible, in consideration of the mods contributions vs. those of the "rumoured" buyer (who wasn't a mod after all .... ).

Hopefully, the storm will pass. I agree with you though about the need for mods. Who will step into the breach now, however, with all the history. Work should be rewarded one way or another .... :)

P

prasit

i always wondering why the date/time of this forum is a few hours ahead than EST time? where is the server located? UK?

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by prasit
i always wondering why the date/time of this forum is a few hours ahead than EST time? where is the server located? UK?

The server does now appear to be in the UK. Probably set to GMT.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brujah
I think it adds to any negative atmosphere that the "new owner" is hiding his identity so long for whatever reason.

I don't think any money has changed hands.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brujah
I think it adds to any negative atmosphere that the "new owner" is hiding his identity so long for whatever reason.

Unless I'm mistaken, the prevailing belief is the the "rumoured" new owner is (or was intended to be :confused: ) RealNames?!?!?!?

At least that's what's being inferred from RN's posts on the matter .... given the "inside" knowledge of the "new" owners intentions or motives ...

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Every one wanting to delete their accounts or leave because the forum might be sold is ridiculous. Imagine yourself in Danny's position at age 16.

Phew! Glad I got that outburst out... :D

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my two eggs worth:

I joined dnforum late, because I'm busy and I didn't hang around AN much, so I missed a lot of the scoop.

I joined the forum because I recognized and respect SafeSys and I'm sure that if Safe and the other Mods leave and form another group, I'll find that too... eventually. Then, there will be two places to go.

Sorry to see you Mods go... sniff. Thanks a lot for all the feed-back. See yas on the trail.

quack :sad:

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameBox
My question: Were the two offers coincidental, or did the second offer spring up in response to the pending sale, muddying the waters so to speak?

The two offers wern't coincidental. As you said it perfectly, the second offer sprang up in response to the pending sale, and by thinking abou tit and readinf from some of you I did make a few huge mistakes after that.

Originally posted by NameBox

If the difference was "only" $800, then some accomodation should have been possible, in consideration of the mods contributions vs. those of the "rumoured" buyer (who wasn't a mod after all .... ).

Hopefully, the storm will pass. I agree with you though about the need for mods. Who will step into the breach now, however, with all the history. Work should be rewarded one way or another .... :)

Namebox that's what I thought - but it seems that the mod trio, right then were excited to start thier own forum. I would have thought at least they should have talked to me first. In a couple days (hopefully by tomorrow) everything should be planned out for the future of dnforum, including mods, if the forum changes ownership, etc.

Apologize for everything, everythign should be up to speed very soon.

Thanks,
Dan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dan, if what I heard is correct, you are leaving out a whole lot of the story. I will use some numbers here as an illustration (not the exact figures, but pretty close). First you agreed to sell it to the mods for a certain price, lets call it 3K. Then you got the offer from another bidder and went back to the mods and asked for more. You then agreed on 4K. After talking to the new party, you reneged still again and asked for 5k. The mods reluctantly agreed only to have you come back and say you needed another $800. That is when they walked, fed up with the broken promises. So if this is true you were not just asking them for an extra $800 - you had actually gone up nearly 3K from the price you originally agreed to sell it to them.

Again I was not party to the negotiations, but I am told this is what happened. If you deny it I will take your word for it. I'm sure everyone would like to know the truth as to how many times you backed out of a deal before the mods finally gave up.

This would be a good time to be totally honest, so you can put this episode behind you and people will really understand why this all happened.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Of course I'll be honest - I have no reason not to be, for the most part you're right but not totally Duke. I explained it in another thread, well here it is:

The two mods showed interest in buying, I told them my asking price. They then offered another offer a good amount below my asking price. I brought it back up about 50% of the difference between my asking price and thier offer, and we were set on the price for then. Then a forum member offered quite a bit more. This was when I had to make some decisions. I thought, ask the two mods if they'd be willing to go a bit higher (my original asking price), which was totally my bad, before we got to talk again, they resigned. We were working against time zones, and work (of course assuming the mods had work, and my school/activities), so maybe partially they were impatient with me also, pm's going across about once a day back and forth.

It was in this post: http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=38587#post38587

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I read that post...and it was at odds with what I heard. You are indicating that you only mutually agreed on a price ONE time and that was before the new bidder showed up. After the new bidder showed up your account suddenly becomes very muddy. You say you asked the mods if they would go a bit higher but you don't say whether or not they agreed to meet the new higher price. I am told they did. And that you raised it still again after that agreement....and finally did it one more time, asking for an extra $800.

I'm not trying to be Perry Mason here...but it will be healthier if every one realizes why the mods were so perturbed they all walked.

I am not in any way against you as RealNames seems to think of anyone who questions what happened here. You've done a great job with the forum. If you made some mistakes in your first major round of negotiating...that's life. I've had far worse screw-ups, believe me. I would just like the air totally cleared and this issue put to rest so that everyone can get back to talking about the domain business.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Of course I'll be honest - I have no reason not to be, for the most part you're right but not totally Duke. I explained it in another thread, well here it is:

The two mods showed interest in buying, I told them my asking price. They then offered another offer a good amount below my asking price. I brought it back up about 50% of the difference between my asking price and thier offer, and we were set on the price for then. Then a forum member offered quite a bit more. This was when I had to make some decisions. I thought, ask the two mods if they'd be willing to go a bit higher (my original asking price), which was totally my bad, before we got to talk again, they resigned. We were working against time zones, and work (of course assuming the mods had work, and my school/activities), so maybe partially they were impatient with me also, pm's going across about once a day back and forth.

It was in this post: http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=38587#post38587
nuff said I believe

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Duke,

The bigger offer I recieved was after me and snoopy agreed on a price. We agreed on a price, then the big offer came in, and that's when I PM'ed snoopy and asked if he was willing to go higher so I would "feel better" about the whole sale. Before that we were just haggling. From my original price, he reduces it to almost half, I brang it up a bit more). I only offered to raise the price once, and which I didn't get a reply after (and they resigned) after the new member made me the offer. I thought I had it said clearly in that earlier post. You can e-mail snoopy about this matter to confirm it.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Also,

I think the mods left in part because they already had partial plans on startign thier own site, and possiby because they knew about what happened the last time I was about to sell the forum. And of course in part of my request to go higher after we did haggling (all haggling was before anyone made any other offers).

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators