Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Do you own garbage or Premium Domains?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

teamwork

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
funny service. I got 1 certification of 20+ submittions
As others maybe, I disagree but who cares. But at least I have the right to say my opinion and give negative feedback since I don't find this service quite reliable.

One small advice, don't give away your garbage domains, just because they are not judged premium by this service
More work needs to be done , in my opinion, on the metrics you apply when you move from .com domains to other TLDs.

the criteria as others said are not bad , but might not be the only ones.
Nice try though and it might be improved by automation as someone said and also by considering more parameters .

regards

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have a hard time with this- i know people like to "hear" their domain is premium- but your talking about other people on the web, opening up sites, and saying they have been anointed to be the ones to say what is and isn't a premium name. i actually HATE the phrase premium domain.
there is NO SUCH manner in which any person can decide what name should be $300.00 and what should be $300,000.00.
single word .coms- it is only because of habit that everyone craves these names- fact is, many successful sites are not even single word .coms.
i can bet, had youtube.com submitted that domain the day they bought it, it would have NOT have been certified premium. nor would have wikipedia, cafepress, flickr or ebay.
a premium site is one where someone bought a name, any name, that they believed in, and had a vision- and they brought that vision to life. they MADE their name something that is always at the tip of the public's tongue.
you make the name, the name doesn't make you- and we are a web society of telling people what domain will rock their world, then they pay 3 million dollars, and no one could care less.

don't sell domains- sell CONCEPTS-

i had submitted several of my domains to premium domains, and also had paid for appraisals, and used the free services- to get an idea of who says what. and they are all over the board. so no, i am sorry- i can't believe that one site can say in good faith, they they have the ability, or the right, to say what is premium or not.
this is not meant to offend you in any way- this is for all sites that do this stuff. its insane.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Teamwork,

Except to pest a little regarding the valuation of some TLD you estimate poor, you do not provide me a lot info here to respond you and/or see what can be improved.

We may speak hours about extensions, but as everyone my time is limited.
I already spoken at DNForum about the difference value between each TLD and the impact in the valuation of english domain names. Find and read the post.

For CcTLDs have in mind the following:

If you put an english domain name with a country TLD where the english language is not the official language then as you may understand the value of your domain should be low, except for maybe some highly popular terms.
Why? Becausue it will not interest the potential buyers, the country residents.

Think the inverse and tell me who in USA should be interested to spend thousands dollars to buy RetraiteComplementaire.us ???

One day some domainers will need to start to be simply logical.

Wake up, Papa Noël does not exist, it's not only register new names based in names that have been certified as premium or that have been sold for big buck and scotch it the china TLD to have a high valued domain!
This is what we are seeing everydays and lately with dot mobi...

Excuse me if you feel I am a bit rude. I do not know the domains you submitted yourself, you do not have to take these comments against you.
You simply give me there a chance here to outline this point.

teamwork

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cybertonic, don't get me wrong.

I just express my opinion. I tried the service, I didn't like it (I mean I disagree) and that's all.

Taking into account your title , garbage or premium, I can say that things are not so simple. You made a definition of premium domains and you stick to that. it's ok. As I can see there are many that didn't agree with the definition.

And of course I wasn't expecting papa Noel or anybody else to say to me about some names, if they are premium or not etc. Even if we had all our domains premium, there is always a need someday to find a buyer. Otherwise, you just have something called Premium domain. So what?

As for TLDs, you say in the definition
"For the .COM TLD (other TLDs, ccTLDs and gTLDs etc. have higher requirements):

* Full word(s) sequence must be referenced > 150,000 times in Yahoo.
* Full word(s) sequence must be searched > 500 times monthly in Overture. "

just describe ,if it applies of course, what metrics you are using for .net, .org, maybe .de, .co.uk etc
What are the numbers in there and what are are the barriers from garbage to premium (if any).

Are you using each countries overture (if existed) or what? You see my point?
If it's only for .com and US market, it's much more clear by what you say.
If for every TLD you are using US overture and for .fr names you require 10 times more US overture (not 500 searches as .com, but 5000 searches) you understand that you have screw the results. And what is the right limits for not .coms? 5 times more, 10 times more? And is the multiplier the same for .de or .co.uk and for .it and .net? Based on what assumptions? And if you are using specific countries overture, then the limit should be the same as of .com. Why should you changed that? And so on....
And why should you require higher numbers if other TLDs? Think about this a little. So I basically disagree on this definition part.

In terms of all the other TLDs I believe it needs much more work, because things are more complex anyway. That's what I tried to say in my first post. It's not only a matter of an english word or not.

And of course I don't feel bad because some domains didn't make it to be premium. Don't forget... I got 1. That's something. And this one was the latest I bought some days ago. So at least I am learning. At first I was buying garbage, now I am starting buying also premiums. This is progress for me.

kindest regards

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm suspicious about this service because of security reasons.

1. Why are you asking people's names?

2. What will you do with the email database?

3. Are you hoping that people will enter the same email address on your website that they have used to register the names?

4. Are you going to sell the email and name database to some companies? Do you think there are advertising companies that pay for an active database of email and name combinations?

5. If I get a scam email one day that mentiones my name as subject and if I open it how will I know it wasn't you who sold that information to scammers?

6. How can people be sure you are not sending a keylogger to their email address? You are not a company. If you send everybody a keylogger today and then disappear tomorrrow everybody will be screwed won't they?

I think it can be dangerous if somebody knows your real name and email address. If your name is James Brown and you receive a letter from service@ebay.com with all the graphics ebay logo's etc that says "Mr. James Brown ... please update your account information ...etc" I think there is a chance you might fall into this.

You might think they can't send an email from service@ebay.com. You are wrong. They can make it look like to come from any email adress. Here is a program scammers are using:

http://www.freewarebox.com/free_2032_fake-email-mailer-download.html

Smillarly you might receive letters from accounts@paypal.com or update@amazon.com with your real name on title.

You might think how can they know I have accounts there. They don't need to know. It is all about statistics. If they have 10.000 name, surname, email address combinations and if %3 fall into the scam, they have scammed 300 people.

I think a hacked ebay account sells for good money these days not to mention they might access your CC info on ebay, amazon or paypal.

If anybody asks unneccessarily for any personal information the first think you should consider is scam.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Erdinc,

1. To can send you the certification result we need an email address.
Until now it's logical, exact? Now it's certainly more pleasant we respond you by "Hello George..." then "Hi folks".
Any service that need to communicate by email generally ask a name and an email, it's a minimum.

2. Nothing except resend you a new mail if the status of your domain name changed. For example because the Premium Domain definition has been updated.

3. No. By the way, it's rare that people use the same email to communicate they use to register.

4. No, we never sold or share any email address collected through our services.

5. Imagine your own the domain name: mydomain.com
You can always put as email address premiumdomain@mydomain.com when submitting your names for certification.
This way if one day you receive an email at this email address then it's legitimate to think it comes from us.

6. I do not know what is a keylogger. Let me a minute to search...
Ok. We do not send any attachement when we respond, so I find difficult we may send you any keylogger.

If for any reason you do not feel comfortable receiving an email to get the response of your certification then wait January. I think at this date the certification will be done in realtime, so without the need to receive anything by email.

Slipxaway

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a domain listed as premium through this service. TrickDaddy.us .. probably because the term has an OVT of almost 300,000. I don't think anyone would be willing to pay a premium price for it though, but if I'm wrong, someone please PM me with an offer :)

I think it's a cool free service, but most of us agree that appraisals and valuations are usually worthless, because it depends on the market and the end user as to how much it's worth. You can't really go by a simple OVT score.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you accepting .mobi?

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Teamwork,

As we discussed, I post here the url where everyone can read the TLD impact in the valuation of english domain names:

DomainExtensions.com/

Hello ColdGin,

Yes we review any extension.
We already certified several dot mobi these last weeks.

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This service is really no different than any other appraisal service, free or paid...a name is simply worth what someone will pay for it, so nobody can actually say what name is premium or not, it is all based on opinion.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed with Jazzpetals, this being said i have numerous domains approx 500 and the only 3 that were 'certified as Premium' were absolute rubbish! No traffic just based purely on keywords i think, doesn't even take into account traffic, page rank etc. One of mine is in the top domains section on sedo, yet not certified on this site. I would not go by any appraisials/suggestions from this site.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello JazzPetals and AggieUK,

First we do not appraise domains, you will never see us giving a domain price estimate.

Second as you probably know if you carefully read this thread we are talking here about DOMAINS and not SITES valuation.

So the fact your site may have some PR, some link back, ... generate money or no. All this does not count when we valuate the domain.
You simply need to imagine the domain has never been registered or never used.

This is why sometimes you may find strange we certify some domains you have with no traffic while we may ignore others having a high traffic or generating a significant revenue.

I am agree that I can like this domain while you can like this other one, ... Each one have his own opinion.

Now there is a common opinion, they are some domains that are statistically of higher interest for more people.

As a basic sample, most people think Pamela Anderson is a very nice woman, but some may prefer Sandra Bullock, while others Angelina Jolie, ... But they still agree Pamela Andreson is a nice woman.

The same happen with domains, they are some metrics that outline the quality and possible interest.

Now I admit the quality of our valuation may and still need to be improved.
And I hope it will be the case within the following months.
And people like you that have some experience are most than welcome to contribute through positive feedback and not simply saying domains cannot be valuated or appraised. Because this is not exact.

Thanks again to have shared your thoughts, it's allways appreciated.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today I submitted 14 domains that I thought were keyword rich and 5 were deemed as "premium". Of the five premiums, 1 was a .com, 3 were .us's and 1 was a .ph. A little surprising, but it says that extensions other than .com are given a fair look.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you pay for them to tell you if your domains are premium?

What happen if they tell you you have premium domain?

Details please.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you pay for them to tell you if your domains are premium?

What happen if they tell you you have premium domain?

Details please.

No Rick you don't pay they simply tell you whether it is premium or not according to their valuation model and if it is premium I believe it is added to their database of premium names and you may add it to the "for sale" portion of their site.

In reality and correct me if I am wrong cybertronic, it is simply a good way to generate traffic and leads for lack of a better term. The "garbage or premium" is just a hook.

It is definitely a great idea as we all know that the appraisal threads at all the forums are always busy. People are getting scammed by domain appraisal companies all the time so what could be better than free?

The only reason I even visited their website is due to a listing at W H T where the seller posted "Premium" domains for sale. When I looked at the names they were total crap. When another member asked how the heck he figured his names were premium he responded with a link to cybertronics website.
So his marketing is working!

Gl Cybertronics. Nice idea and well implemented. Now have someone redo the english on the site. If you need help PM me and I will do it for you.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello Togoodhlth,

Probably +90% of acquired traffic is NOT free, in fact it comes through ad campaigns, this means paid traffic.

The idea is maximize the premium domains listed for sale at PremiumDomains.com
We offer free premium domain certification as a courtesy.
And trust me, each certification costs time and money.

So we do not only pay for traffic, but also to certify.
I share with you that it's not an idea you can lead without solid investments: in money, time, hassles.

Now I hope all these investments will not be done for the glory.

Because english is not our primary language then it is always posible to find some errors, typos or sentence not well expressed. Several people helped us to correct text, and if you see something bad you are welcome to PM me.

Thanks again for your feedback.

maui

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a couple of crap names from when i first started:
sexmobilecontent.com
sportsmobilecontent.com
celebritymobilecontent.com
prepaidvideoringtone.com

learned my lesson though...

Dr.Ead

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i submitted some of the domains i own. hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators