Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Exclusive Membership: Your Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Upvote 0

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One more idea, not specifically about Exclusive but inspired by the new forums: it would be great if there were some kind of hack to allow members to hide forums on an individual basis. In other words, if there are 12 forums I never, ever read, it would be nice to be able to make them "disappear" from my forum front page view...

PCplay

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 207
Windows 95 was billed as the top OS. Were you pissed off when they came out with Windows 98?

Even upgrading Windows is/was cheaper than this membership is.

You can't always fall back on a blanket statement like that when you know things will have to change to get better.

A wrong change could easily destroy something. Seems like people are simply trying to prevent the destruction of DNF.

Has anyone seen the advertising prices and the amount of advertisements? I think the income off of DNF is quite large.

Could you guys who keep talking about all the expenses of DNF please elaborate on this? I dont see how your making $5,000 or so on advertisements a month doesn't cover the cost of things.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PCplay
... I dont see how your making $5,000 or so on advertisements a month doesn't cover the cost of things.
I can almost assure you off-hand that it does NOT; but then that is not the question.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL Nexus! What if Club Drop said:

"You can have unlimited drops and access for 30 days, at no charge, just to find out whether we are the drop club you want to be invloved in"?

Would that be as good as the paragraphs you posted above?

I agree that a comprehensive TOS would be helpful. Would you be willling to spend the time and help compile it?

Just a question!
WebCat

ps- I sure wish the Porsche store had 30 day test drives!

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebCat
I agree that a comprehensive TOS would be helpful. Would you be willling to spend the time and help compile it?
Unfortunately, no. I'm sorry to say I've unsubscribed to this thread too.

~ Nexus

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All I can say is watch and learn. If anything, you will get a lesson in how to build "worth" into a online business. Only this business is symbotic. Both owner and customer will get something from it if they play their cards right.

izopodian philsophy: If you aspire to become something better, don't be satisfied with the status quo. For if you become "used" to the way things are you will stay "right" where you are.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob

Why is ti stupid? It helps reward the active people on the forum. They can use their DNF to help offset upgrade costs if they choose to do so.

-Bob

Or encourages useless and mindless postings just to up the post count.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All things aside ... a big money grab .. many will sign up ... just not to be left out.

... again.. why is WHT free .. and this board isn't? Mods .. this is your cue to plug the company line ...

Shaun

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains
So if you bought a gold membership at the gym for $500, which gives you access to all the equipment 7 days a week, and then a few months down the road they decide to offer a Platinum membership for $1000 which offers access to the gym, plus a free personal trainer, and free workout tapes tailored to your workout, you would complain? Even though nothing was taken away from you?

Okay, but let's now way that the personal trainer and and tapes are moved to an "exclusive" room away from the gym you paid for, along with part of the equipment and tape players you thought you were going to get to use.

How is this different from Creating an exclusive doman trademark discussion separate from the older Legal Issued forum? Or the "I will pay this ? for a domain" separating it from "Domains Wanted", Or "Daily Drop Lists" being separated from the expiring domains discussion. Or for that matter separating domain appraisals into Professional and Peer appraisals. Professional appraisals are a scam. There is little data to use for accurate appraisals and no authority to certify an appraiser. Real estate and cars can be appraised using real, pletiful, and accurate sales data comparisions. This doesn't exist in the domain world (yet). Being a professional domain appraiser just means you've been paid to give it. It doesn't mean it's any better or more accurate than a peer appraisal. It just means you got a PDF document with an opinion and paid for it.

Yes, creating another level when it subdivides and pulls traffic from current topics DOES degrade the current levels.

I'm creating a new domain forum called superexclusivedonttellanyoneyouramemberdomainforum.com and allowing a very exclusive single two-lifetime membership $1 million. If you die and are revived by doctors you will be a membership for your second life as well. It will include 10,000 free years of domain renewals (consective), and a 10 year waitlist registration on aol.com. After I sell one membership, I'll create a higher level for cats that is a 9-lifetime membership. A third membership level will also be created, but it's so exclusive that if we told you the price we'd have to kill you. This forum will be so exclusive that we'll send you a new PC with free version of Linux to run in the privacy of your own bathroom. No internet connection needed.
...oops, got carried away...Hey! where'd the smileys icons go? are they reserved for exclusive forums now? :)

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
There were sooooooo many people who doubted GregR that the paid membership structure would never work. Priceless...

Some of us took the chance that the live domain auctions would bring us the value paid in savings from other alternatives like ebay. Didn't happen.

Some of us thought the ebay style auctions would do the same... Hasn't happened yet. I'd rather see what's already been started get promoted to work before going on to new ideas. Weren't we promised that the new ownership would heavily promote the forums to other venues to bring buyers? Traffic seems to have gone the other way.

Many only bought for the discounted snaps. For this the cost of membership quickly justifies the membership cost. The only added item of real value may be the drops caught by dnforum. Although many of us have caught drops and have sold them on the domains for sale forum. We now have to pay for a membership for the priveledge to make a bid on a caught domain? There are plenty of drop catch services that offer this without a membership fee just for the privelege of biddiing.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, a Gold Mastercard was something special only offered to those with the highest credit rating, then the Platinum card came out, then platinim-plus, titanium, and diamond cards. Now a gold card is almost the bottom rung on the ladder just above a debit card. Creating higher levels does degrade the perceived value of the lower levels.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname

Actually this was what was promised, by Gregr in an announcement on 2/12/2003:-
- Get 5 free guest passes for 2 weeks of Gold membership each.

Did anyone ever actually get this???

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adopt,

Yep. You just have to send requests to admins.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many of us came to this forum as any other forum to be "included" in the discussion of a common interest. Exclusive, by definition means that people are excluded. Exactly what a "forum" is not intended to be. A club or fraternity can be exclusive, not a forum or bulletin board by (old style) definition.

I think if there is an exclusive forum, the Platinum and lower should be renamed the "Inclusive Forums". I welcome everyone to stay and hang out with us inclusive domain talkers.

If a sub group of domain stars and groupies wants to be that exclusive, why not hide the whole section including titles and fees from everyone and make it by invitation only.

Some suggested alternative names to "exclusive" since some have already expressed dislike for the name.

Domain Fraternity
Domain Country Club
DNPenthouse
DNCult
DomainElite
DomainRoyalty
DNConfidential
Top Secret Forums
High Falutin' Forums
DNAristocrats
DNsnobs
The Swank Membership
Posh Forums
Upper Crusters

:) Ya gotta laugh!

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adopt and everyone,

Yea I know; it sucks, but despite how much I disagree with the decision I can understand Adam. The price he paid for this forum was astounding.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by .
Adopt and everyone,

Yea I know; it sucks, but despite how much I disagree with the decision I can understand Adam. The price he paid for this forum was astounding.

...lots ...I'm surprised ...

Shaun

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to stir shit...

Am I turning into a standard sychophant -- perhaps?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains

I did get one I requested for another member and I know others did.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains

Yes, in fact, (.) lotsofissues got it twice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom