Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Flowers.mobi sold for 200k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick was the buyer of flowers.mobi, however, he was bidding *against* the owners of flowers.com. The other .mobis sold to other players.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buyer was Rick Schwartz... Only the most prominent, most successful and most revered, learned and feared of all Domaineers for I don't know how many years now.

I could count about 10 individuals or groups with better and larger portolios, I think even Adam DCG has better portfolio now. This Schwartzes "idolization" reminds me of one actor which made few movies in 80's and than nothing. But he is still famous after 20 years of doing nothing and still beeing invited to VIP parties...but only because he was on the last party too.

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless this industry is regulated (like real estate), we will never truly know what a domain is truly worth.

Well, we can always check ppc revenues and traffic stats. Can we not?

This I see over and over and over. Some names, like flowers.com and .mobi and many others, are valued for the keyword, the value is in the name, not the ppc earnings or traffic. Someone who owns a flower shop can't get a better name than flowers.com, no matter what the ppc is. Most of the more valuable names are not even parked. So this is not always a good way to base how much you are willing to pay for a name.

If you want to pay by ppc earnings and traffic, you will probably be looking at search terms, phrases or some of the less exact keywords. There is no way an owner of a name like flowers.com/.mobi is going to waste their time sending you traffic stats or proof of PPC earnings.. they are going to be too busy considering the $xxx,xxx offers they are getting. The value of the name is clear.

I think dnjournal.com has the most accurate archive of sold names, but they are certainly not the only names sold. I sold one last year for $4k and the buyer asked me to keep it confidential. Who knows how many other transactions like that take place on a daily basis? I dont know if we will ever have anything to go on besides supply and demand, what's hot and what's not, who has the money and who needs it etc. There are just too many variables to consider. There never seems to be a consistent pattern. Lets face it, some of the names we have seen on sedo and dnjournal etc. that sold in the tens of thousands.. they leave you scratching your head and saying.. 'HUH?' Could be, tho, that those names have incredible traffic from marketing and publication. Who knows but the buyer and the seller?

Just my 2¢ :-D

Mejcdj

I could count about 10 individuals or groups with better and larger portolios, I think even Adam DCG has better portfolio now. This Schwartzes "idolization" reminds me of one actor which made few movies in 80's and than nothing. But he is still famous after 20 years of doing nothing and still beeing invited to VIP parties...but only because he was on the last party too.

Rick was the one who got it all rolling for domainers. He is also the one who produces the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conventions (which are attended by invitation only). He is not a has-been.. he is an icon for what we are involved in right here.

I remember a few years back, I emailed dnj after they did a story on him. I asked if he would take an email from me so that I could pick his brain for info and advise. He emailed me the very next day. He is extremely interested in keeping the domain market hot and he does a lot in the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conventions to promote networking with different companies.
http://www.targetedtraffic.com/index.html

I can't say anything about his portfolio or the 10 people you know, but I can say that Rick deserves, and should receive, more respect for the things he has done to get this market moving and keep it moving

Mejcdj

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick was the one who got it all rolling for domainers. He is also the one who produces the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conventions (which are attended by invitation only). He is not a has-been.. he is an icon for what we are involved in right here. I asked if he would take an email from me so that I could pick his brain for info and advise. He is extremely interested in keeping the domain market hot and he does a lot in the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conventions to promote networking with different companies. Rick deserves, and should receive, more respect for the things he has done to get this market moving and keep it moving

Hallelujah

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rick was the one who got it all rolling for domainers. He is also the one who produces the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conventions (which are attended by invitation only). He is not a has-been.. he is an icon for what we are involved in right here.

I remember a few years back, I emailed dnj after they did a story on him. I asked if he would take an email from me so that I could pick his brain for info and advise. He emailed me the very next day. He is extremely interested in keeping the domain market hot and he does a lot in the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conventions to promote networking with different companies.
http://www.targetedtraffic.com/index.html

I can't say anything about his portfolio or the 10 people you know, but I can say that Rick deserves, and should receive, more respect for the things he has done to get this market moving and keep it moving

Mejcdj
Well said...I have never met, seen or communicated with Rick Schwartz but from what I've read and heard, he's definitely a pioneer in the domain industry....liked by all, probably not, but a towering figure in the domain world, definitely. From where I stand, respecting seniors in the field even if they've not been active is a time honored tradition...and in this case, he's still at the very forefront of the domain game....conceiving, planning and successfully executing the very first domain conference series....actively buying and selling high profile domains, forging new alliances with main street businesses and opening new doors for all domainers....those who have done this kind of work in other fields have been bestowed with Lifetime Achievement Awards and Emeritus status....But, then again there are always some of those who are exemplified by noobs barely couple of years into the field with really nothing to show (e.g. a "reg fee" type domain for their homepage) but a tendency to glee by peeing on the man in the moon and imagining as if its a golden shower...!! :brick:

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
..But, then again there are always some of those who are exemplified by noobs barely couple of years into the field with really nothing to show (e.g. a "reg fee" type domain for their homepage) but a tendency to glee by peeing on the man in the moon and imagining as if its a golden shower...!! :brick:

OMGROFL!!!!:pound:

Mejcdj

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This Flowers sale makes me wonder how much Diamonds .mobi is worth. It also makes me wonder how the clever dude registered Diamonds .mobi on October 16th.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They're gonna know that it's true

There were so many people who have walked this earth
Thinkin that they know the truth
So they often crititize the way I believe
And they say "Tell me, tell me where is your proof?"
I tell them Schwartz was wounded for my transgressions
He was bruised for my iniquities

He walked upon the water, oh yes He did
And this same Schwartz calmed the raging sea
He healed a man that was lame one day, oh yes He did
And from sinking sand He lifted me
But He was wounded for my transgressions
And He was buised for my iniquites

Schwartz, He was sent from the Father
Schwartz, the great Messiah
Schwartz, He's bread for the hungry
Schwartz, and He's water for the thristy
Schwartz, oh, just like He said

Ever knee shall bow, every tongue confess
That Schwartz is Lord, that Schwartz is Lord

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

There were so many people who have walked this earth
Thinkin that they know the truth
So they often crititize the way I believe
And they say "Tell me, tell me where is your proof?"
I tell them Schwartz was wounded for my transgressions
He was bruised for my iniquities

He walked upon the water, oh yes He did
And this same Schwartz calmed the raging sea
He healed a man that was lame one day, oh yes He did
And from sinking sand He lifted me
But He was wounded for my transgressions
And He was buised for my iniquites

Schwartz, He was sent from the Father
Schwartz, the great Messiah
Schwartz, He's bread for the hungry
Schwartz, and He's water for the thristy
Schwartz, oh, just like He said

Ever knee shall bow, every tongue confess
That Schwartz is Lord, that Schwartz is Lord

WOW.. what did he ever do to you? It almost seems like its personal... ?
You don't have to like him. That is your right, of course. But expect to get some negative feedback when you are talking the way you are about a man so many of us respect and appreciate. How you take that feedback.. well that will tell us what kind of person you are. You did open this can of worms, remember?

Mejcdj

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when you are talking the way you are about a man so many of us respect and appreciate.

You do not only "respect" him. You do WORSHIP him. I am not making fun of Schwartz, he probably will not read this. I am (obviously) making fun of His worshippers. There is Buddha for buddhists, Maocetong for maoists and Schwartz for (some) domainers - I think we could call them "schwartzists".

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You do not only "respect" him. You do WORSHIP him. I am not making fun of Schwartz, he probably will not read this. I am (obviously) making fun of His worshippers. There is Buddha for buddhists, Maocetong for maoists and Schwartz for (some) domainers - I think we could call them "schwartzists".

I'm sorry, have we met? Seems like you would have to really know a person to state what you posted.

I am not sure what the hang-up is with you and Rick... but its really getting a little funny. I have not 'worshiped' a man since Elvis.. and Rick's a good guy, but he is no Elvis.

Maybe you should take a pill and relax. Watch some Oprah.

Mejcdj

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I prefer Jay Leno, he has (unlike some) sense of humor.

Well lol.. is there anyone left to bash?
Good to know that at least Leno has you on his side. All is not lost lol

Mejcdj

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow Creature....Diamonds.mobi was registered on October 16th!!!!
I remember seeing early on that Diamond.mobi was a premium name

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt Rick is really paying 200k for a .mobi and if he is, he truly has more money than sense. My guess is that there's a lot more to this deal than meets the eye, like a 99% or 100% discount when it comes to sending the cash.

Probably set up by the people behind .mobi to create a buzz around premium names and drive up the prices. Sell one for free and cash in on the rest.

- Rob

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt Rick is really paying 200k for a .mobi ........
Well, there're folks who don't have just "doubts" about evolution but are convinced that its all a bunch of bologny....so everone has a right to not just have their doubts but also stick to them no matter what. On the other hand, given the eye witness accounts that there were "several" parties very actively bidding on these (.mobi) names, especially for flowers.mobi & fun.mobi, with the owner of flowers.com also bidding for the former.....one is also equally sane to conclude that all these "conspiracy" theories are just that and that may be......may be...... there's something unique and promising about .mobi.......afterall.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt Rick is really paying 200k for a .mobi and if he is, he truly has more money than sense. My guess is that there's a lot more to this deal than meets the eye, like a 99% or 100% discount when it comes to sending the cash.

Probably set up by the people behind .mobi to create a buzz around premium names and drive up the prices. Sell one for free and cash in on the rest.

- Rob

Totally agree with Rob. As i mentioned right away in the post there is something "unusual" in these mobi sales. I also noticed that mobi reserved most of the generic names and they are not available to the public. With .TV at least people could pay a premium price to buy the name. I don't get it, maybe somebody will explain it to me: we are working here on reselling the names. I do understand that one word generic .com domains worth 50-100k and more, but these prices reflect the shortage of these domain names. Dot .com is a king, many names developed, it is very old etc. many resons why .com so popular and costly.
So, am ready to pay xxx and xxxx for good BlaBlaBla.com names, becauase I can't afford to buy generic one word names. I simply
don't understand how people paying high $$$ for .mobi names in a month after landrush? If they are holding all good domain names than I don't want to invest any money in that extension. Just think about it - we are not going to see on the forum generic one word dictionary .mobi names for sale!

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys are exhausting yourselves. For all the intelligence and savvy on this board, so many of you expend disproportionate time trying to prove the demise of mobi. Don't get me wrong, everyone has their unique opinion and I appreciate a diversity of views. I sometimes wonder if people just enjoy playing devil's advocate for fun or achieve some release through perpetual arguing. Seems the naysayers and conspiracy believers would have something more constructive to do with their time.

Rick bought flowers.mobi. It was a special situation not particularly characteristic of mobi's direction. The extension has some special appeal. It may fly, may not. No one knows for sure. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom