Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Flowers.mobi sold for 200k

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many had similar thoughts when Business.com was sold for the first time to Mark Ostrofsky for $150K in 1997 .....In recent years, .mobi is not the first one:
These kind of things do happen and people who can afford do make such investments, whether they all turn out to be like Business.com is another matter.........for .mobi/.eu, its yet to be seen.
Things were different back then. Looking back at the new extensions that have been introduced over the last few years we have a better idea of what may work and what sucks.
Did .biz take over .com ? No way. In fact it's never been truly accepted. It's hard for a new TLD to gain acceptance and respect.
As for TLDs like .coop .museum .aero... no comments.
.COM is to stay the king for a long time. This is not to say other TLDs are worth nothing but I would expect pricing to be in line with TLD standing. I find it hard to say it's been the case here.
.mobi = hype
And that's putting it nicely.

Regards
Steve
I have to say they did a pretty good job of hyping the ext.
Good luck to the owners anyway.

Domain Summit 2024

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
exactly too many people here are just reaching and trying to justify in their minds why they were so smart not to buy the hype and register any .mobis

it will just go on and on, well only phone related will work... well some products might make sense... well navigational info may make sense... well news and scores i guess... well entertainment might, but .. but .. but

What if... the cellphone industry does not stay exactly as it is? What if... they actually start making phones geared to work with the web? What if... the near future of cellphones will have a larger screen capable of watching movies, tv and browse the web with ease?

With all the recent changes in what cellphones are made to do, why, on earth, would it not make sense that the next step would be mini handheld computers with all types of communication available? Phone, walkie talkie, tv, video, cameras, movies, music, web. It is clear they are not done with this technology.

Some people will use their phones to kill time in waiting lines, doctor offices, trains and subways, power outages, between meetings etc. If you think about it, this is a very good idea.

Did you ever remember something that you had to do (pay a bill maybe) or buy (gifts for a party maybe).. but you couldn't take care of it because you were at work or in the car in traffic? You add it to your to-do list now.. but with the prospect of whats comming with .mobi.. you could take care of it right there in the car and be done with it. Just one tiny example. Think bigger and you will begin to see what we (who bought .mobi) see.

Remeber all the flack we took when we bought .com names? "You are crazy to waste money on that internet stuff. Its a fad and it will never take off". That's what I was told. Lots of negativity then.

If you dont want a .mobi.. don't get one. The rest of us will get a few or more and see what happens.

Mejcdj

yesbrilliant

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
One thing worth mentioning is WHO will be the people using the Internet in years from now.

We, for sure, but we'll still prefer to use our desktops to access the Internet the same way our parents preferred typewritting machines over computers.

However, most of the mobile/cellphone Internet users will be the today's kids/teenagers and we all know their strong attractiveness by those devices. Their behavior, different from ours like ours is different from our parents, will no doubt affect the way the Internet works today.

Additionally, high caliber players like Microsoft, Google, Ericsson... don't enter any game to loose money. In the .mobi arena they are there as well, and, more, they are Together.

My vision is that .mobi will work even though I just got a couple .mobi domains in my specific area to be safe. A small investment that would not hurt me if not successful. However, I think it will be.

Just my oppinion.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats Rick!!

You have finally shown everyone "buy only .com" has forever changed.

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm What a waiste of an extension .mobi you simply need one line of code that identifies cellphone user and redirect them to the part of the site dedicated to those users.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously you know more than Erikkson, Microsoft, Sony, etc etc
Congrats
Predator
nb: is it safe to say you didn't reg any :wacko:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you
still
dont
get
it
do
u
guys.

these
companies
have
power..
its
not
that
we
need
.mobi
its
just
that
they
can
market
anything
they
like.

the end. like it or not.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
formatted for mobiles :)

nice....

:)

GoPC.mobi

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overheard on a sunny beach:

Billy: Bob, I registered all these mobey domains and spent thousands doing it. I hope I didn't make a big mistake.

Bob: Yea, me too. Sure wish we could sell some of these for big bucks like the .com guys do.

Billy: That sure would be nice. I hope it wasn't a waste of money to register all of these. I know the registrars sure did make a lot of money from us. I had to take a fifth mortgage on my house to register a couple hundred of them.

Bob: Hey, I got an idea!

Billy: What?

Bob: Let's throw a big party for all the .com guys. You know how they like to party!

Billy: I like to party too but how is that going to help us sell all these worthless mobey domains?

Bob: We'll let the .com guys auction off some of their names and we'll auction our mobeys too!

Billy: I still don't get it. Nobody is gonna bid on these mobeys.

Bob: Well, you buy my mobeys and I'll buy yours and then everybody including the .com guys will want to buy these mobeys. Nobody will have to ever know we're not really selling them and all the other mobeys we got, everybody will want to buy them too!

Billy: Brilliant, Bob; just plain brilliant! We can even advertise our mobey 'sales' in the paper and the whole world will want to buy our mobeys! Let's gitter dun!

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Billy: Brilliant, Bob; just plain brilliant! We can even advertise our mobey 'sales' in the paper and the whole world will want to buy our mobeys! Let's gitter dun!
The only problem with your theory is that, as far as I'm aware, Rick doesn't own any other .mobi domains, so what's his motive to drive the price up? In fact, given his considerable investment in .com, it would make more sense to drive .mobi down and .com up, dontcha think? :)

Even if it drives .mobi prices up, what's the downside? You don't like .mobi anyway, so what do you care? (Just for the record, I don't like it either).

Like him or not, Rick is doing more that anyone else (with the possible exception of Ron Jackson) to take our industry into the public eye, which can only benefit us domain owners in the long run. It never ceases to amaze me that people will detract from others just for the sake of it.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm What a waiste of an extension .mobi you simply need one line of code that identifies cellphone user and redirect them to the part of the site dedicated to those users.

What is the line of code to identify a cell phone user? TIA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
even if there is a commission being paid i doubt it goes directly to Rick, more likely to the organising body of the TRAFFIC conferences...to assist in making the next one even better than this one...

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

its not just about a .com site being able to be viewed on a cellphone. a .mobi doesnt have to be the mobile equivalent of the exact same name in .com. for example, you could go to ringtones.com on your cellphone and it could have code in their to automatically show you a mobile version and you could also go to ringtones.mobi which would be a whole different company's site with different ringtones thats optimized for cellphones. both ways are good in my opinion and i think mobi is a good idea.

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Exactly!!
I have an IQ lower than my Dog's....HELP me understand this ....
I can access my own site (a dot com) on my cell phone (3g) ......and i need a .mobi for...?

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
......and i need a .mobi for...?
Like its been said a number of times before, .mobi is not necessarily for "you" to access "your" site....its for all those masses whose brains would be grilled time and time again that when they are on their mobiles, "its the .mobi stupid". If such active and sustained marketing does not happen, .mobi would likely turn out to be one of the biggest let downs in the domain industry. So, technical feasibility is not the issue here, "its the perception stupid"; just like in today's world for PC-based websites "its the .com stupid".

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its amazing so many of these people call themselves 'speculators' while only looking at one side of the arguement..

Well guess what, we dont NEED aol either but some people cant use the internet without that interface.. we dont NEED the windows operating system either... lets just teach everyone how to use linux real quick!

again, It really isnt what you WANT to happen or what would be nice or what makes SENSE..

its the old saying "if you cant beat em join em"
go ahead and call up microsoft, google, ericson, etc and tell them HEY STOP.. we dont need mobi!

tell them that ALL WE HAVE TO DO is tell people to make their websites cellphone compliant.. im sure these companies will be happy to market this solution for free, instead of coming up with somthing that will line their pockets with cash, that we dont necessarily need...like companies have been doing for years, so tell me.. WHATS NEW?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed.
How many you sitting on?
In the ned, how many words did you get & how many numbers? If you don't mind me asking. Cheers, Pred :ranger:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
enough to be laughed at.. at least 300 words.. and some NNN.mobis + NNNN.mobi's (start typing patterns of NNNN in the whois and see for yourself hehe.. ex 4445, 4446, 6667,6668....2324, 2526,2728,2829,etc etc etc)

however i dont expect to get rich, or even to make money..

I took a chance based on the sponsors involved.. it cannot be ignored that this is a MEGA-sponsored tld.. i know some people are tired of hearing this, but when has a TLD been sponsored by even ONE company as powerful as microsoft or google?

the simple fact that it is being pushed by these 10+ companies makes me think, how could i lose with good keywords?

honestly, im not a fan of .biz or .us but it cannot be ignored that if you have good keywords you will get your regfee back.. surely not as glamorous as "getting rich", but beats losing your ass.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The 300 words & nnn's could just make you rich!
Not sure about the nnnn, but even then, i believe you will always get regfee back min, so can't see you losing.
I have about 50-60 words i think.
When's the next traffic auction? Might be worth entering some early doors?
Pred :bolt:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom