Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Flowers.mobi sold for 200k

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As all of you know, I hated .mobi domains. Then I listened to the TRAFFIC auctions, then I registered three 3-letter .mobis (which was smart in hindsight, since they sold out 2 days later).

Do I expect .mobi to be huge? Not really, I still see the same problems with the extension I did when I hated it, but after viewing the auction results it makes sense to make a small investment into the extension and hopefully it will pay off down the road.

I Fought .Mobi and .Mobi Won
(sing to the tune of "I Fought the Law" by the Clash)

Like your new sig GT!!

:wave:

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I found a nice whale of a mobi still available after staying ashore for so long and may post it in appraisals soon. Not as big a whale as musicvideos, but how many are? :greensmile: Ironically, it goes really well with flowers, if the ship takes off of course. After all, small investment...changing world...Thar she blows... :fish2:

Sonny

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I found a nice whale of a mobi still available after staying ashore for so long and may post it in appraisals soon. Not as big a whale as musicvideos, but how many are? :greensmile: Ironically, it goes really well with flowers, and may even be better than the .com and most of its landlocked siblings and cousins are for the desktop, if the ship takes off of course. After all, small investment...changing world...Thar she blows... :fish2:

Someone please wake me up when Rick Schwartz offers anyone on this board a single dollar for a .mobi. I wonder why he hasn't been lighting up everyone's mailboxes with offers? I am trying to figure out what makes MusicVideos.mobi such a hot name as well. I bet it sells, but it will be to another domainer who is caught up in the .mobi craze.

I definitely agree that lots of money will change hands with these names, so I'm sure that those who are sharp will end up with lots of cash. Should be fun to watch.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Someone please wake me up when Rick Schwartz offers anyone on this board a single dollar for a .mobi. I wonder why he hasn't been lighting up everyone's mailboxes with offers?
May be because Rick Schwartz knows what he's doing....given where he stands making a calculated investment of $200K on a prime keyword like Flowers made good business sense to him, whereas spending even few bucks on any of the vast majority of the (.mobi) domains that one sees floating around on the forums would be utter waste for him.....and anyone else who has even an ounce of domain sense.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone please wake me up when Rick Schwartz offers anyone on this board a single dollar for a .mobi. I wonder why he hasn't been lighting up everyone's mailboxes with offers? I am trying to figure out what makes MusicVideos.mobi such a hot name as well. I bet it sells, but it will be to another domainer who is caught up in the .mobi craze.

I definitely agree that lots of money will change hands with these names, so I'm sure that those who are sharp will end up with lots of cash. Should be fun to watch.
There's no real downside for Rick to buy into .mobi - it's a calculated diversification of his portfolio - like putting 1% of your share portfolio in penny stocks. And don't forget there were three other players bidding in the six-figure range for that name, including the owners of flowers.com.

Sonny

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There's no real downside for Rick to buy into .mobi - it's a calculated diversification of his portfolio - like putting 1% of your share portfolio in penny stocks. And don't forget there were three other players bidding in the six-figure range for that name, including the owners of flowers.com.

The name of the game is to make money and I agree with what Rick is doing. It just seems the bandwagon jumpers are running wild and registering names that wouldn't even work in dotcom.

I guess you gotta love it.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
finally
buy only .com
is
DEAD
Of the 41 domains in the DNJournal top sales list this week, 32 were .com, 3 were .co.uk, 2 were .net, 2 were .org and 1 .info and 1 .mobi

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
guys, I see the impact of flowers.mobi sale already. Can't you see it? Take a look at the threads for domains for sale. There are many useless mobies and owners want xxxx-xx,xxx for them. I still didn't see any good mobi domain name for sale I was surprised to see Motel.mobi was sold for only $2.8k at Pool. On the other hand why should i be surprised, this is probably the real price for a premium .mobi domain at this point.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's hard enough to order flowers on a 32" screen online. Half the time I give up and call in my order. I can't see many flower orders coming in via a cellphone. Am I missing something? Did Rick just get sucked up into the hype?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
heh... while .mobi could fail, i cant believe how many times people continue to reference current technology as a reason for its failure... sheeesh, speculation maybe?

where is your imagination.. has taking chances gone out the window these days?

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's hard enough to order flowers on a 32" screen online. Half the time I give up and call in my order. I can't see many flower orders coming in via a cellphone. Am I missing something? Did Rick just get sucked up into the hype?

here's what i see...

visit flowers.mobi on your cell, enter the zipcode where the flowers will be delivered, .. a list of flower shops appear with basic info and phone numbers, click on a phone number and guess what - - you get connected directly to that shop via your phone. brilliant!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's hard enough to order flowers on a 32" screen online. Half the time I give up and call in my order. I can't see many flower orders coming in via a cellphone. Am I missing something?

No offence, but I'm guessing you're over 40 or 50.

Have you seen today's younger generation? They can listen to music on their ipod while having a text message conversation on their cellphone and playing a video game on their xbox.

Ordering flowers on a cellphone, they can do that in their sleep...

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hate using my cellphone for all that, I don't even text message anyone. I found the whole thing too cumbersome and not fun at all. However, I have room for imagination and I think some cool things can be done with .mobi. We'll see I guess..

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Does your .mobi domain address something one might reasonably and usefully do on a mobile?

2. Is the site designed for easy navigation and minimal 'fumbling' on a small keyboard?

Both answers = yes = you have a chance.

As some other poster mentioned, filling out loan applications is a dead duck. Ordering flowers -- possibly, if it's easy. Gambling -- sure. Adult -- sure etc.

The TLD will be what the developers and marketers make it. All IMHO.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's what i see...

visit flowers.mobi on your cell, enter the zipcode where the flowers will be delivered, .. a list of flower shops appear with basic info and phone numbers, click on a phone number and guess what - - you get connected directly to that shop via your phone. brilliant!

You'd have to sign up a ton of flower shops and collect on all those potential sales from all those flower shops.

I can see it now. Hello, this is Rick from Flowers.mobi... click

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
re:
Have you seen today's younger generation? They can listen to music on their ipod while having a text message conversation on their cellphone and playing a video game on their xbox.

have you seen them ordering flowers?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No offence, but I'm guessing you're over 40 or 50.

They don't order many flowers either. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators