Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Great Mercedes Domain Name

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by airnike764
Thanks but I know for a fact there are no TM issues here

Then you need to fire whichever legal advisor told you such nonsense and hire someone who knows what they are talking about.

Clear TM violation, appraisal = $0, or -$100,000 if you get brought up on cybersquating charges.

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
by the way
testMercedes.com is available
anyone who reg it send me some dn$
usedMercedes.org
usedMercedes.biz are free also

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MERCEDESmodel.com
MERCEDESmodels.com
are free..
if someone trhinks they are good and reg them send me some dn$ to change the icon..=)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by airnike764
Its not going to be a TM issue because If i develop it, it will be a Mercedes Enthusiast site where there are many of

In my opinion, just because YOU want to develop it into an "enthusiast" site does NOT necessarily make it a non-TM issue!
Good Luck.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>no one can own exclusive use of a public usage name

But that won't stop them trying.

Yahoo, Absolut, the list is long.

Just be sure to use it in a non-infringing way, and FIGHT THEM if they try to take it from you.

Aperio.org

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe trademark is a very real issue to consider.
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-1554.html

If you read that case (it's really rather interesting) you will see there are several important considerations here. Take for example this one snippet that is included in part of the decision making process:

by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to your web site or other on-line location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant’s mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of your web site or location or of a product or service on your web site or location."

(a) That the domain name registered by the Respondent is identical or confusingly similar to the trademark to which the Complainant has rights;

(b) That the Respondent has no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and

(c) That the Respondent’s domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.
I would think there is cause for some concern here. I doubt anyone is going to want to pay premium dollar for a domain in which they intend to make no money. Therefore, I would value the domain at pretty much around cost of registration.

Just my two cents.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how did you come across and why did you pull up a thread that's over 2 years old?

Aperio.org

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hahaha... actually it had come up in a search i had done (incidentally, not related to mercedes in any way shape or form). When I was reading it, it didn't really dawn on me to look at the date.... but in any event, it never hurts to share some information regarding trademark issues and considerations when registering domain names.

That's pretty funny though. I need to get more sleep at night.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Aperio.org said:
Hahaha... actually it had come up in a search i had done (incidentally, not related to mercedes in any way shape or form). When I was reading it, it didn't really dawn on me to look at the date.... but in any event, it never hurts to share some information regarding trademark issues and considerations when registering domain names.

That's pretty funny though. I need to get more sleep at night.

no doubt, good info none the less!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators