Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

h.com 2 letter IDN! xn--h-rmb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefabfive

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These type of IDNs (mixed script) are usually only good for one thing - phishing. They have no practical purpose as they will have zero traffic. IMO we should discourage the sale of these type of domains from this forum (as was done on another forum) as they give the wrong impression of the IDN world to the public.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that it is ludacris to limit what type of domain names can be sold in the IDN forum. There are thousands of domain name combinations that can be formed using the IDN method, to limit this to one type of domain name is absurd.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These domains have no value and should be banned from here.

Your marketing it as a "popular American expression oh!" says a lot.

They are not IDNs, but phishing domains.

kenne

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If it's valid in cyrillic, ie if the cyrillc has "h" same as latin "h", it should be good.

Otherwise, I agree with fab that it has no value.

The problem with banning it from IDN board is that it will instead be advertised in nonIDN boards, which would be even worse.

I appreciate that godfrey is posting it here and being very upfront about what this IDN is. However much it's sold for, it's a good read for newbie IDNers...

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you guys would post negative comments. When you post something for sale you have a reasonable expectation that people won't be ignorant and immature. I think that is the major problem with the domain name business today, it is overrun with immature brats that put down any domain name that they don't own. I also want to thank you guys for the posts and drawing more attention to this IDN. The character is cyrillic and I wouldn't have posted the domain name if I thought that it wouldn't sell. Please leave the negative comments to yourself. Thanks.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Cyrillic alphabet has been adapted to write over 50 different languages, mainly in Russia, Central Asia and Eastern Europe. In many cases additional letters are used, some of which are adaptations of standard Cyrillic letters, while others are taken from the Greek or Latin alphabets.

Hey "Named", I notice that most of your posts are negative towards other people..this is an IDN actually, but thanks for the comment. Please refer to the punycode.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"In many cases additional letters are used, some of which are adaptations of standard Cyrillic letters, while others are taken from the Greek or Latin alphabets."

Except in those cases, the letters are encoded in Unicode in the Extended Cyrillic range, and in no case is the LATIN SMALL LETTER H used.

Yes, this is an IDN in the technical sense, but it is not an IDN in the sense that it is an International Domain Name.

What it is is an immature phishing type of mixed script domain, that has been giving legitimate International domains a bad rep, as we all know from the news. Partly because of this, language groups that really need non-latin domains have been given the short end of the stick, because the actions of a few phishers coming from the Latin-1 regions mostly that have made news. This has already led to unnecessary restrictions on their use in major browsers and has delayed implementation.

Don't try to cover up the issue by posting things about the history of Cyrillic. That has no relevance to the discussion.

It isn't for no reason major registrars today prohibit mixed script domains.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The "o" is cyrillic, the "h" is latin, the same letter "h" which is located on your keyboard.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Godfrey, my keyboard has Cyrillic on it, and the Cyrillic о it is not the same key as the Latin h.

Anyways, you are marketing this as "Popular American expression!
"o" is cyrillic and "h" is normal character.".

First of all, I take offense at you saying that Cyrillic is somehow 'not normal' while your 'h' is the 'normal character'.

Second, if used as a 'popular American expression Oh!', then it becomes clear that this is a phishing domain meant to be seen as the legitimate all-ascii oh.com to the unsuspecting user. Since that is the intent, creating and selling these sorts of domains is an attempt to defraud the user.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, no not at all. I do take your point of "american expression" and I have modified my post to reflect it. I have/had no intentions on defrauding anyone, hence the punycode.

kenne

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's quite clear by now that this domain has NO natural traffic and is likely to cause
confusion among any user trying to type it in. I'll let godfery sell this domain in peace.

Someday, I may look in my mail box and see a phishing email featuring "oh.com"
and I'll then know where this came from :)

thefabfive

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look godfrey, there is no value in domains like this. I could register a domain that looks exactly the same using a Greek 'o' or a Hebrew 's'. These domains have been used for scams on Ebay in the past. I understand that is probably not your intention, but that is the reality.

You could sell the Russian domain 'он' made of purely Cyrillic letters and that would be fine, but mixed cyrillic and latin negates any value of the domain except for phishing purposes.

Correction - the Russian 'o' and Greek 'o' are both cyrillic and are therefore the same character. Also, mixed script hebrew IDNs are not allowed.

Mr. Pim

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What the **** is up with all the negative comments? This isn't a public appraisal.
Please keep it professional and if you are not interested simply don't place a bid.

just my 2 cents

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not want to comment directly on the domain, but it will be good to create a section for "Mixed Script Sale", so people selling mixed script can post on it.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The part that confuses me is that people are mentioning how these are used for phishing scams. If someone were to send an email with this domain name in it saying "log into your oh.com account" and then featured a link to it you would click on the link and it would then direct you to the punycode. Much like if you the scammer didn't own this domain name and you received the same email with the same link, once clicked, you would be directed to a site other than oh.com..so how is this used for phishing when the browser is going to translate the domain into punycode?

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pim(P) said:
What the **** is up with all the negative comments? This isn't a public appraisal. Please keep it professional and if you are not interested simply don't place a bid. just my 2 cents

These comments are important! If no-one says anything, sellers may unknowingly "sell" and buyers unknowingly "buy" worthless IDN domains. IDNing is gaining speed quickly with the upcoming public release of IE7. There are millions of foreign language websites that will adopt IDN urls as well probably keeping their current ascii.

IDN veterans have suggested that it be "open comments" on IDN sales in order to educate all and help self-police this industry. As you can see, this seller has good intentions, but others have pointed out the "challenges" with mixed script IDNs. This debate over to comment or not to comment has been held before, and most were in agreement that an open opinion policy will best serve buyers and sellers. I hope this forum adopts this policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators