Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

h.com 2 letter IDN! xn--h-rmb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's been mentioned before. I am not asking for an appraisal, your comments, or your opinions...there are other forums for that. A domain name is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't feel that this domain name is worthless..what makes this worthless and 25¢.com worth something? I get a kick out of these people that put everyone else down for their domain names or IDNs when they own domain names of the like. I have seen alot of "mixed script" IDNs make money and I personally like them.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You may personally like them but that doesn't excuse you from giving full disclosure about the nature of the name and the uncertainty that surrounds these mixed character domains. You have ostensibly failed in doing that on ebay !

http://cgi.ebay.com/oh-com-Two-2-le...878677982QQcategoryZ11153QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is tending to profiteering Justin, this name is worthless, in fact I dare say it negates the high profile sales of valid idn names, it serves as an argument of anglocentric domainers to claim IDN's are rubbish.
The consequence :
http://www.dnforum.com/f118/selling-29-lll-com-eyz-com-many-more-thread-137722.html?highlight=idn

These are real LLL.coms, no BULL, no IDN

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People that bid on domain names on ebay can differentiate between IDNs and DNs. Please don't make me out to be the bad guy here. I have made great sales and have a great reputation in the DN community. I liked this domain name, that is why I reg'd it. On ebay, the fact that it is an IDN is right in the title and the punycode is also mentioned in the title. I'm not trying to scam anyone, I sell domain names, that is what I do..I sell 6-700 domain names a year, it's not that big of a deal. And this is a an actual IDN, as oppose to a fake IDN? It is registered just as any other IDN is registered.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the letter that looks like "H" in Russian really makes the sound of the letter "N" in English. The closest equivalent to the sound of an "H" is the letter that looks like an "X". BUT, the sound is very hard -- more like a "KH" than "H".

ERGO, who is to say that someone with a English name that doesn't translate well into Russian wants to market using his initials? Would he register the equivalent IDN to OX.COM? Or would he prefer a domain with the Cyrrillic "O" and the Latin "H", since no suitable Cyrillic replacement can be found?

Sure this is far fetched -- but about equally as possible that someone would buy this domain in hopes that the company that currently owns oh.com (whose customers are probably not worth phishing at all) eventually sells to someone whose customers ARE phish-worthy. Most likely the buyer will buy the domain for its novelty. Maybe to use as an email address. That's all these English look-a-like IDNs are good for nowadays.

Bottom line, is there are a lot of CRAPPY domains being sold on this board. When I see one, I just keep looking. I don't start a stink about how these domains are worthless and shouldn't be sold here. While IDNS may be used for phishing, plain boring old disposable domains work just as well. Why would someone go through the effort of using an IDN and risking their victim not having the IDN plugin installed?

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What I mean with "a valid IDN" should be perfectly clear to you, IDN's are not a gimmick to produce/invent fancy names, it's a technology to open up the web for the international community. The right of existence of IDN comes from the technological possibility to write any language in the intented format.

People are nót aware of IDN's, the general dn-community is just waking up as we speak and I guarantee you that the average surfer doesn't now the term IDN. I have sales go bad because people didn't read the IDN-notices, the IDN info links and the puny-code next to the unicode, they just got exited when they saw a single character domain, they bid and they won.
Your sale at ebay merely stated the acronym IDN but that will not suffice if people are completely unaware of this technology.

Full disclosure about IDN's, period :
If the client is already familiar with IDN and your name holds value, then you are in business and if the person is unaware of IDN's, then you have served us all by informing someone about IDN's.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post and I have taken that into consideration. I have pulled my auction from ebay since I noticed what you were talking about. People that are not familiar with IDNs may not know what they are buying. Thanks again for the post!

STILL ACCEPTING OFFERS!

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
diverge said:
FWIW, the letter that looks like "H" in Russian really makes the sound of the letter "N" in English. The closest equivalent to the sound of an "H" is the letter that looks like an "X". BUT, the sound is very hard -- more like a "KH" than "H".

ERGO, who is to say that someone with a English name that doesn't translate well into Russian wants to market using his initials? Would he register the equivalent IDN to OX.COM? Or would he prefer a domain with the Cyrrillic "O" and the Latin "H", since no suitable Cyrillic replacement can be found?

Sure this is far fetched -- but about equally as possible that someone would buy this domain in hopes that the company that currently owns oh.com (whose customers are probably not worth phishing at all) eventually sells to someone whose customers ARE phish-worthy. Most likely the buyer will buy the domain for its novelty. Maybe to use as an email address. That's all these English look-a-like IDNs are good for nowadays.

Bottom line, is there are a lot of CRAPPY domains being sold on this board. When I see one, I just keep looking. I don't start a stink about how these domains are worthless and shouldn't be sold here. While IDNS may be used for phishing, plain boring old disposable domains work just as well. Why would someone go through the effort of using an IDN and risking their victim not having the IDN plugin installed?

The whole point of idn's is typing based on translation instead of transliteration, no pinyin but chinese simplified, the thing you describe is :
a) redundant since the actual cyrillic characters can be entered
b) useless since the spoken word (and intuitively the written word) will be in 1 language

p.s. english names are written in latin characters

I don't start a stink about how these domains are worthless and shouldn't be sold here.

In the general case you're right if there was special section to discuss the translations or maybe idn's in general.
These arbitrary mixed names have been the prime reason that idn's are not accepted, it would be foolish to just ignore it.

This is the wrong place for "starting a stink" as you so retorically put it but that doesn't make it less necessary to do so.

idn discussion section - definitely
idn translation section ?

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks again for the posts guys..$200 offer received..time begins now.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godfrey90sf said:
Thanks for your post and I have taken that into consideration. I have pulled my auction from ebay since I noticed what you were talking about. People that are not familiar with IDNs may not know what they are buying. Thanks again for the post!

STILL ACCEPTING OFFERS!

Your welcome, I presume people here are aware of IDN's so, game on..

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, hopefully they are Bramiozo. I am also selling these, please PM if interested:

$250 each, willing to consider offers and packages. Japanese IDNs.

鳥インフルエンザ.net
xn--ecki6b6goeybd0812t.net
"Bird Flu"
鳥インフルエンザ (n) avian influenza; ED

親密.com
xn--vctv18h.com
"Intimacy"
親密 (adj-na,n) intimacy; friendship; (P); EP

ノンフィクション.com
xn--dckyay3g9a1h9cf.com
"Nonfiction"
ノンフィクション (n) nonfiction; (P); EP

提供.com
xn--vsq850c.com
"Offer"
提供 (n,vs) offer; tender

サラリー.com
xn--vcktfd6e.com
"Salary"
サラリー (n) salary

振替.com
xn--2vuu8f.com
"Money Transfer"
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,410,000 for 振替.
振替 (n) transfer (money)

債権者.com
xn--x0q733dxop.com
"Creditor"
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,130,000 for 債権者
債権者 (n) creditor

点検.com
xn--f4v75n.com
"Checking Account"
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,760,000 for 点検
点検 (n,vs) checking

翻訳しなさい.com
xn--n8j7af0fw374cq2m.com
"please Translate this" or "to translate"
Results 1 - 10 of about 101,000 for 翻訳しなさい
翻訳しなさい (n,vs) translation; de-encryption; deciphering; (P);

IDNs are interesting to people because most people can say, for sure, that they will never own oh.com, this is a nice alternative, or any IDN for that matter is a good alternative to the actual thing.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the posts. still accepting offers on all IDNs

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godfrey90sf said:
I think that it is ludacris to limit what type of domain names can be sold in the IDN forum. There are thousands of domain name combinations that can be formed using the IDN method, to limit this to one type of domain name is absurd.

Well ICANN are stipulating that mixed scripts cannot now be registered, so it is not that rediculous. It may well be, that they delete them with the owners being compensated. Their idea of compensation is a new registration of your choice!

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And it wouldn't be unprecedented either ...

VeriSign (known then as NSI Registry) with ICANN's blessing canceled several hundred domains years ago that contained leading and/or trailing hyphens...

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-235315.html

I remember this whole incident well, since it was all the talk on the Domain Policy List back then.

IDNs are, to some extent, still considered experimental so it's no stretch to think that such a mass deletion could occur ... deletion would likely result in many affected registrants getting some compensation ... alternatively, those type of IDNs could simply be relegated to a never, never land - that is to say browsers, resolvers, etc could simply ignore such domains, which in effect would make them unusable and worthless.

Ron

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is my opinion for what it is worth that these domains are not only worthless, but the selling of them here is damaging not only to the adoption of IDN Domains in general, but also to this forum. I think it would be appropriate to put a blanket ban on anything which would no longer meet the registration requirements of ICANN. I frankly think it is weak kneed of ICANN not to have banned these domains completely and forced their deletion already. This could easily be justified no the grounds that they have been registered in BAD FAITH.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godfrey90sf said:
I don't understand why you guys would post negative comments. When you post something for sale you have a reasonable expectation that people won't be ignorant and immature. I think that is the major problem with the domain name business today, it is overrun with immature brats that put down any domain name that they don't own.

These are not negative comments, just the plain facts. This domain has no practical use, it should be sold as a novelty domain and listed clearly that way. It also stands a good chance of deletion for reasons given so anyone that pays over reg fee stands to lose the balance. Every auction for this type of mixed script IDN has fielded the same type comments, you are not being singled out. The forum members commenting are not sideline commenters, but experienced IDNers, some in the IDN market for 5 years or more and very much up on the state of the industy.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that this entire thing is being blown up into something that it shouldn't. This is one IDN out of several that I am selling. I have now received multiple offers for the domain name and I am confident that I will sell and obviously the potential buyers understand what type of domain name that this is. I knew that this was not like other IDNs when I registered it. I have SEVERAL other Japanese IDNs that I feel are good and I would like to point out that I do not make it a habit to register mixed script domain names, this is actually my first one. I don't want to start any more arguments or have people arguing in here. Like I said, I have received an offer for this domain name...if it sells, then it sells, if not, so be it.

I would like to point your attention to the other IDNs that I am selling. I think there are some good ones in there, such as birdflu.net (japanese) and so on. Please let me know if interested in any of the other IDNs that I am selling. Thank you.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Justin, i would advise you to open a new thread and put up your new names there.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot Simon, I believe that would be a good idea as well. I would also like to say that I hope that no one has any bad feelings towards anyone for the things that have been said in everyone's post. It's understanable that tempers seem to flare when someone has a different opinion about domains. Let's all hug and make up shall we? ;)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
godfrey90sf said:
Thanks alot Simon, I believe that would be a good idea as well. I would also like to say that I hope that no one has any bad feelings towards anyone for the things that have been said in everyone's post. It's understanable that tempers seem to flare when someone has a different opinion about domains. Let's all hug and make up shall we? ;)

Well, personally I retract nothing. I am afraid some of your offerings form a general pattern for me and mark you out as someone I would rather not do business with. If you cannot see how damaging this is for your own reputation then there is probably little that the rest of us can do to help you, but I do feel the wider community has a duty to protect the interests of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom