Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

h.com 2 letter IDN! xn--h-rmb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NostraDomainus said:
It's great to see such passion behind IDNs, but like everything, there is a proper time and place for which to positively express it.

The time and place for comments when a domain is clearly a potential liability is HERE and NOW. Then the buyer can make up their own mind! And seller can decide to pull the auction. This does nothing but help protect everyone here at DNF in the "uncharted waters" of mixed scripts and international languages.

You can see from other threads that there are challenges in languages here to overcome. Even disagreements on meaning of words among native speakers. For the moment, open comments might best protect a sellers reputation (from unknowingly selling a bad IDN), or a buyer from losing substantial $$ because no one was allowed to comment and he wasn't allowed to be given the facts. I hope that DNF will address this issue based on what has already transpired. If anyone was truly out of line the mods can strike the comments. The intent here is NOT malicious, but trying to help buyers and sellers.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domagon said:
Requiring posters to include the associated language tag in their IDN sales listing would greatly help organize things.

Ron

This is a sensible suggestion, but in practice not workable. The problem is that half the domain registered probably have incorrect language tags, and the tag doesn't show up on the the whois. This is one big mess that eventually needs sorting out. I think a good percentage of Domainsite IDNs domains are tagged Afrikaans.

NostraDomainus said:
I don't make the rules - DNF does - adequate or not - and 'Won't Do' for who?

Those who pay to be members for a forum based on it's rules do not need others arguing their outside 'morals' in order to 'justify' breaking said rules.

If you don't like the rules, talk to management, or go elsewhere, like anything else in life - but don't shoot the messenger - these rules were here before I came here.

Any authoritative source of information would only do better to start their own site instead of breaking the rules of another site to try and make gains.

Re: Structure - I am sure DCG and DNF are doing their best to address the concerns you and others have, but I dare say neither told you to break the rules in the meantime at the expense of other members. If it's a matter of structure, that's to discuss with DNF, not at the expense of a members thread.

It's great to see such passion behind IDNs, but like everything, there is a proper time and place for which to positively express it.

Carpe Peaciem!

The whole point of having the rules is to maintain order and professionalism. They are there to protect the reputations of the Forum and those that it serves. If the rules blatantly fail to perform this function and instead assist with execution of malpractice, then they clearly they have no value. I am not here to create anarchy, but I will not bow down to code that has no relevance to the business that I am conducting. If ultimately that means that I go back into self inforced exile, then so be it!

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Standardisation is required and indeed wanted by the core of idn-investors, if there's one thing we need it's a clearity, I believe Rubber Duck has started an initiative :) .

There's enough motivation to make any kind of restructuring work, as long as it's useful, maybe a special sticky can be opened to discuss this ?

kenne

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How this thread never goes away!

IDN is the wild west of DNForum, with particular potential for chaos and abuse.

I'm happy with anything related being sold here, but I appreciate the outspoken people who spread information and help build a fair informed market.

It's not wrong to point out, that so far at least, mixed script domain(of a particular kind) is good for nothing except fishing attacks.
And some standardization of claims, translations etc. will be helpful.

So thanks everyone.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, you're right..it never does go away..to heck with closing it...60+ replies and almost 700 views...let's just make it a sticky! ;)

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
This is a sensible suggestion, but in practice not workable. The problem is that half the domain registered probably have incorrect language tags, and the tag doesn't show up on the the whois. This is one big mess that eventually needs sorting out. I think a good percentage of Domainsite IDNs domains are tagged Afrikaans.

Good point ... ok, then someone should develop a program that automatically check the language, script, and related aspects, such as mixed script, etc of IDNs...

I'll bet that's what MSIE 7 already does; if any beta testers here, let us know if I'm right? ... I say that because MSIE already does a very good job guessing the character encoding / language for pages missing a content-type header.

So perhaps, people listing IDNs here should at least be strongly encouraged to indicate the language tag they feel is most appropriate for the domain they're listing ...

Surely folks here know what they're selling and thus should be able to indicate the language (or at least the script, though not as ideal) for the IDNs they list here.

Ron

Varlin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some guy sold cc.com on ebay, where one of the c's is international and the other is NORMAL.

The seller disclosed the IDN nature, and the buyer paid more than USD 3K for it. Does that transaction make the seller a scammer and the buyer an idiot?

I don't think so, as the information about the mixed code was provided and accepted by the buyer.

Does that make the buyer a potential phisher automatically? Who can exactly tell the buyer's intentions and thoughts? If the domain is worthless why someone paid USD 3K for it? Is it worthless for him or for the seller?

Guys, you have to rethink your censorship. I might want to register !@#$%^&卡通.com and that does not necessarily makes me a fraudster. What if I want to host a private website that I prefer no one to visit?

Since the very beginning, this thread became a personal attack to Godfrey, and I speculate that some people are just depressed or angry just because he makes money by finding the right buyer for every domain one after another. If you don't like mixed IDN's don't buy them, but satanizing and creating a collective fight over what was originally meant as a simple IDN sale shows an immaturity and aggressiveness beyond my understanding.

PS: And yes, I am calling it NORMAL and that does not mean that I hate or degrade other languages. Since a vast majority of posters use an english, spanish, french dutch or similar keywords, those are normal, while kanji and cyrillic characters are not. For a definition of NORMAL go to the dictionary or a book on statistics.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Varlin said:
If you don't like mixed IDN's don't buy them, but satanizing and creating a collective fight over what was originally meant as a simple IDN sale shows an immaturity and aggressiveness beyond my understanding.

ICANN has already effectively banned them as you cannot register any new ones. You try to use them for Phishing and they will get deleted under WIPO. If you don't they will eventually get deleted anyway. In my opinion ICANN have been weak kneed over this as they should already have been deleted. I make executive decisions, they do things by committee but they will eventually come to the same conclusion.

Selling them is in my opinion fraud, as any knowledgable person must realise that they are worthless!

Rubber Duck

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:noidea:
Varlin said:
PS: And yes, I am calling it NORMAL and that does not mean that I hate or degrade other languages. Since a vast majority of posters use an english, spanish, french dutch or similar keywords, those are normal, while kanji and cyrillic characters are not. For a definition of NORMAL go to the dictionary or a book on statistics.

Most of the world does not write in English. Get used to it. Check out the STATISTICS yourself. There are more CHINESE speakers than English Speakers. Please don't offend the majority with your ignorant rudeness! Your Latin letters are no more NORMAL than Chinese Characters, or any other writing system!

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think maybe it's time to get this thread closed. It's getting a little out of hand.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Varlin said:
.Since the very beginning, this thread became a personal attack to Godfrey

No one is making a personal attack on Godfrey. Simply pointing out the facts and providing valuable information and education to forum members. After reviewing the facts, Godfrey did the right thing and pulled auction as described. This IDN has been proven to be pretty much worthless. This type IDN should not be allowed to be sold. And if they are permitted to be sold, they should have the following disclaimer to protect buyer:

-Mixed script domain, no longer allowed by registrar.
-Possiblity that this IDN may be cancelled and not allowed to be used.
-Purchaser understands this is a novelty domain, no practical IDN purposes.

All information is out on the table for buyers to know.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
ICANN has already effectively banned them as you cannot register any new ones.

Rubber Duck
Please show this proof

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Please show this proof

All the information relating to registrations of mixed scripts is at ICANN.org.

Varlin said:

With an International outlook like that, it won't so much be "God Bless America"
as "God Help them"! Mind you it is wholly understandable as for places like India, many refer to CIA statistics, which are utter travesty of the truth! I suspect they are largely based on what Churchill told Roosevelt at Yalta, when Britain effectively handed over the World Governance to the US.

Rubber Duck

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rubber Duck said:
All the information relating to registrations of mixed scripts is at ICANN.org.
It seems that they're mainly worried about cryllic/ascii word combos...

not necessarily if you have a word with japanese and korean in it.... if someone actually wanted to reg one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom