Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How does the registrar get beaten by someone else to the drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are several things in this business which drives me nuts and seem to have no logical explanation. This is one of them.

For example, GoDaddy/WildWest being beaten to what should be an easy to snag drop by another drop catcher, such as yesterday by the Enom drop catcher service. This has also happened to me a few other times too.

It was a low value odd domain (with I an sure had no traffic or links) but one I wanted real bad due to its niche which I assumed would likely have no competition. Since it was already reg'd at GoDaddy I figured why use another drop catcher since I already had an open domain backordering credit?

Anyone know how in the world Enom or whoever could do a better job than the place where they are reg'd at such as GD/WW. After all, doesn't the actual registrar already know the exact millisecond it is dropping better than anyone else?

accent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not think Godaddy names drop at all before they pass the backorders - and pass through the Tdnam auction / firesale course.

Sounds to me like GD messed up, or somehow your backorder was not in the system.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After all, doesn't the actual registrar already know the exact millisecond it is dropping better than anyone else?
Nah. The dropping names are released by the registry, not the sponsoring registrar. It doesn't matter where it's registered, once it drops all registrars have equal chances to grab it.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They did not mess up as I received a series of emails saying it was dropping soon and they were trying hard to get it.

to sdsinc: Thanks but this still puzzles me as I thought the registrars were routinely keeping a lot of their drops for themselves so how are they doing it so easily if they do not know the drop time themselves and not involved in the process?

I do not think Godaddy names drop at all before they pass the backorders - and pass through the Tdnam auction / firesale course.

Sounds to me like GD messed up, or somehow your backorder was not in the system.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to sdsinc: Thanks but this still puzzles me as I thought the registrars were routinely keeping a lot of their drops for themselves so how are they doing it so easily if they do not know the drop time themselves and not involved in the process?
There is a difference between an expired name and a drop. Many registrars keep the expired names to sell them and renew them.
But when a name drops (is deleted from the registry) all registrars can attempt to grab it. When a name actually drops the creation date in whois will be reset. The expired names that you find at tdnam for example keep their vintage.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between an expired name and a drop. Many registrars keep the expired names to sell them and renew them.
But when a name drops (is deleted from the registry) all registrars can attempt to grab it. When a name actually drops the creation date in whois will be reset. The expired names that you find at tdnam for example keep their vintage.

Still confused on how GD/WW does not get them as the name at issue (and several others too in the past) I had placed the domian backorders long before they dropped so the question is why did they not get it after expiration and before it was allowed to drop?

They sent me a barrage of emails before the drop and on the day of the drop re trying to capture it so it was no error. I just don't understand why they would let it drop when they have an open order? Other members had this happen too.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This has happened to myself NUMEROUS times as well. I used to apply to all the catchers including GD (even though it was a GD domain) and 9 times out of 10 GD would NOT get the domain. Then I tried only applying at GD and still they did not get it. I thought that GD maybe does a deal with NameJet or Snapnames if others have applied for the domain ??

DG

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As SDSinc says, when it comes to Godaddy, the back order has to be on before godaddy effectively releases it to the registRY.

Once godaddy release it to the registry they are not at all competitive against pool, snapnames and namejet, even if the domain was _previously_ registered with them.

Having said that, I believe they do sometimes slip up on names which are backordered while they still have full control.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They did not mess up as I received a series of emails saying it was dropping soon and they were trying hard to get it.

That's called PR and BS. "Working hard to get it" means "we have it in an automated system like everyone else's".:smilewinkgrin::lol:

Of course, it sounds better than that, but they're most likely NOT "working hard".

airwave

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last year I was using GoDaddy to catch some backorders and things got really screwed up. I was given this information as GoDaddys "Official" process of backorders:
(As of 5/30/07 this was their policy, thread @ NP - LINK)
Event Timeline

1. Domain Name Expires

During the next 70 days, the customer may renew or redeem the domain name.

1.1 Day 0 – 9 Billing Grace Period

Billing emails sent to registrant
Name Servers remain as they are

1.2 Day 10-24 TDNAM Auction

Billing attempted
Domain is Re-directed (parked)
Domain is entered into TDNAM for a 14 day auction

1.3 Day 25 – 40 End of Auction

Auction ends domain is removed from TDNAM.

1.3.1 If someone bids on the domain name*

They are notified they won the auction and submit payment
The bidder then waits for the Mock Redemption period before they take ownership of the name

1.4 Day 41 - 70 Redemption/ Mock Redemption

1.4.1 If a Backorder Exists, AND someone bids on the domain name, the bidder wins the domain name and the domain enters Mock Redemption. AND there are no bids for the domain name, the domain enters Mock Redemption.

1.4.2 If a Backorder Customer Calls in, If no other bid exists, we will remove the backordered domain from TDNAM, TDNAM Escalation Required

1.4.3 If NO Backorder Exists, AND someone won a bid on the domain name, the domain enters Mock Redemption

1.4.4 If NO Backorder and no Bidder, The domain enters redemption with the registry, If there are two bidders and the first bidder does not pay for the domain name within 8 days, the domain is offered to the second bidder.
:?::?::?::?::?:​

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If eNom got the domain, and it was registered threw Godaddy, this tells me that the domain expired, went threw TDNAM.com with no bids, then went threw the normal drop process, went Pending Delete for 6 days, then dropped. eNom grabbed it so fast, because they have tons of registrars just like Snapnames.com does. Out of the Pending Deletes it is a great bet eNom/NameJet or SnapNames.com will catch a PD domain.

H2FC

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way I've always understood it to be as far as ICANN is concerned....

A dropped domain is one that was registered and tasted for a few days and then dropped. Anybody can re-register these names....first come...first served.

A pending delete domain is one that is scheduled for deletion for lack of the registration fee payment.

A pending delete domain registration fee can be paid by the registrar themselves and the domain can be kept in their account. They have this option. If they choose this option the registrar will become the new owner if the name is not renewed by the current owner within a certain period of time.

If the registrar does become the new owner they can either sale it to the highest bid or add it to their treasure trove and keep it for themselves. I believe they have this option also.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators