Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How hard is it for a web site to make $500 a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, It takes work, snowmobilers.com is a bit different than ordercomputer.com. Snowmobilers.com is a niche that was never here before us, sure, there are 100s of snowmobiling forums but nothing like us. I make a small initial investment (in terms of domain name investing) and I continuously put money back into it when I make money. We have over 1,000 members in 4 months, give it 4 years and it should be 10,000+

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
Well, It takes work, snowmobilers.com is a bit different than ordercomputer.com. Snowmobilers.com is a niche that was never here before us, sure, there are 100s of snowmobiling forums but nothing like us. I make a small initial investment (in terms of domain name investing) and I continuously put money back into it when I make money. We have over 1,000 members in 4 months, give it 4 years and it should be 10,000+

Thats a pretty well done niche and site. Congratz. Membership sites database is a good thing but the important aspect is how to make then stay. I am also looking for my first 10K benchmark for my site. Currently around 7K users after around 10 month. Always continuously update your site features and the members tend to stay and grow more.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

in simple words, what exactly have you done to hit that roi?

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great Post. A lot of usefull stuff here....pay attention!!!! ;)

testbot

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good content, good SEO and some time and it's easy. We've had .info domains that made upper $xxxx in three months (event) and have had monthly adsense revenue of over $500 for a couple years.

Just start with the intent of building the best site you can and they will come. Of course, topics and keywords need to be popular and you may have to work at it for a few years.

I have a rule of thumb with adsense - 1000 impressions = $1. This may seem like a low figure and can easily be doubled for sites less than 1000 pageviews a day or tenfold for niche keywords.

The thing is that the huge keywords have smaller ppc. I have found that once you start getting 100,000 daily pageviews your basically looking at $100 a day on average.

Do the calculations. You want to earn $500. That's about $17. a day or 17,000 impressions daily. Now the question is, how many impression do you get per visitor. To simplify the math let's say an average visitor gets 4.25 impressions. You then need 4000 daily visitors or 120,000 monthly. If you could get 1% of the traffic from a keyword searched 12,000,000 times a month then your in business.

Work hard to develop and promote those domains and in five years you can quit your job and do it full time. Hint - build sites that don't have to be updated on a daily or weekly basis such as math/science, history, geography, biography. Example: I'm now working on a site for guys of any age to meet a girl for a long lasting relationship. This will change with time but basically can remain for relevant for decades.

how do you get 1000 impressions = $1? I would love that.

Here's last Monday on one of my sites. We get really low CPC if we don't use in-house ads. It works like this... if AdSense offers X amount then deliver AdSense else deliver In-House.

IN HOUSE ADS USED TO DRIVE UP AdSense CPC% (Revenue is Null because they're our ads)
Impressions: 9,296
Revenue: $4.67

ADSENSE ADS
AdSense Impressions: 6,765
AdSense Revenue: $3.70

COMBINED
Total Impressions: 16,061
Total Revenue: $8.37 (really 3.70 since inhouse is our ads)

stock_post

JewelryRelated.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a different experience.

Hired one for a job for $xxx

I liked the work and paid him 2* $xxx

First thing you shoud understand is English is not the primary language there and lot of them who are considered Excellent programmers/Designers are not good with English.

If you don't have time to work with them, it is good you hire some one locally who is better at English.
I know a lot of peope who take work and sub-contract back to India.

One of my friend who is an Excellent Oracle DBA could not get a job for few months.
He used to get a lot of phone calls and any one that spoke to him on the phone backed out.

He got selected in the very first face to face interview he got.

He is the Lead DBA working for the same company for more than 10 years, his Engish is sitll bad.

They know that they can depend on him for the work and they don't care for his Engish skills.
Unix Severs and Oracle Database are fine with this Engish.

Was not planning to complain about this but siince you raised the issue I can say is I had these experiences with the past 5 believed to be Indian programmers I hired via the forums or Scriptlance:

1. WordPress Programmer at this forum. Hired to do 2 WP Blogs. First one he did well and fairly good speed but with a 2nd one I hired him to do a little later I made the mistake of prepaying as he requested but after 4 mos of time it was obvious he was not delivering the job with slow or no communications. Then my emails bounced and he disappeared from the forum and kept my money which was lost. That was over one year ago with no trace of him or my money.

2. Content writing. Poor job, mosty due to not being familiar with the US based subjects and poor English skills. Later had to rewrite a lot of it myself. Paid anyay.

3. Content writing, a different writer. Fair job, mosty due to not being familiar with the US based subjects and only fair English skills. Later had to rewrite some of it myself. Paid anyway.

4. HTML/Script programming, did overall job OK, but not according to my actual specifications and never followed directions as far as important functionality goes. Paid anyway.

5. HTML/Script programming, after a long delay still has not started the job, apparently because they do not fully understand the job even though my job description was concise and in good detail. They always want to chat about the job even though there is really little to chat about since the job description is detailed and good. Anyway, talking is an issue due to the 12 hr time difference and their office open day hrs there but nights here. Not paid yet, job still open.

Last edited:

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
See now I just added a few new features to our site, probably cost me about $200 but I added a user signature feature and google location maps so that all of our members all appear on a large map. Pretty neat and my members love it! It will take awhile to integrate but its worth it:

http://www.snowmobilers.com/search_gmap.php

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i met a plus size adult model that i spoke to last year who said her blog was making about $500/month in adsense. i didnt think she was even getting enough traffic to make that but hey maybe because its the adult niche and she has fans or whatever. so now you know what it takes to have a website earn $500/month, :)

Arizal

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adult and dating is always different. those niches have incredible good CTR and conversion rates. I managed for some 6 month a big PPC campaign on AdWords for a dating site, that was soooo much fun and I just loved the conversion rate figures! :))

beyond.domaining

www.BeyondDomaining.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Most has already been said. Couple additional thoughts:

1) If you want to be doing $500+ per site, you're going to spend a lot of time with it now and in the future, so make sure you're genuinely interested in the subject matter.

2) Certain categories monetize literally 100 times better than other categories. You want a high ROI on your time and money invested so focus on highly monetizable categories.

3) Once you settle on a category that you are genuinely interested in and that is highly monetizable, then you have a good foundation to build something great off of.

Cheers,
Scott

Soofi

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Most has already been said. Couple additional thoughts:

1) If you want to be doing $500+ per site, you're going to spend a lot of time with it now and in the future, so make sure you're genuinely interested in the subject matter.

2) Certain categories monetize literally 100 times better than other categories. You want a high ROI on your time and money invested so focus on highly monetizable categories.

3) Once you settle on a category that you are genuinely interested in and that is highly monetizable, then you have a good foundation to build something great off of.

Cheers,
Scott

good points Scott..

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its been my experience that developing a profitable website will require time and money. I don't think most people on this forum have anything that produces $500 a month in revenue. I have put a lot of time into Snowmobilers.com and I'm doing around $2,500 a month right now in under 4 months. By simply buying a domain name and parking it, its not going to produce $50 a month on most occasions, you'll need to put a lot of time and money into making the site successful, but normally it pays off in the long run.

Justin , I've looked at your website and want to give you advice

If you do not want your adsense account to banned , immediately remove that popup window with adsense banner and msg

" Please take a moment to visit our site sponsors. Sponsors help keep the site free and pay for our contests! "

You are violating their policies

Encouraging Clicks
Publishers may not ask others to click their ads or use deceptive implementation methods to obtain clicks. This includes, but is not limited to, offering compensation to users for viewing ads or performing searches, promising to raise money for third parties for such behavior or placing images next to individual ads.

Ad Placement
Publishers are encouraged to experiment with a variety of placements and ad formats. However, AdSense code may not be placed in inappropriate places such as pop-ups, emails or software. Publishers must also adhere to the policies for each product used.

https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=48182

MikeAuricchio

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I make a small initial investment (in terms of domain name investing) and I continuously put money back into it when I make money. We have over 1,000 members in 4 months, give it 4 years and it should be 10,000+

So true...

Small initial investment (with a strategy for market share expansion and multiple sources of revenue) + REINVESTING = Long Term Growth

My two cents is do not limit yourself. I highlighted the importance of having multiple sources of revenue, google AdSense is not the only way to make money on a website =)

ptaylor

DNF Newbie
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say it depends upon what you are doing. I have websites where I make $500 per lead. $500 in adsense is difficult.

Soofi

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what would be other source of revenue other then adsense?

So true...

Small initial investment (with a strategy for market share expansion and multiple sources of revenue) + REINVESTING = Long Term Growth

My two cents is do not limit yourself. I highlighted the importance of having multiple sources of revenue, google AdSense is not the only way to make money on a website =)

djriel

Build Cool Things
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No they won't ...

Built it and you then need to drive traffic to it

They don't just come.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^^ Not sure what he is into, but web hosting does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom