Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How hard is it for a web site to make $500 a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My 2 bits with an example of one of my websites.

$500 a month is not a lot of money to make via adsense but its not bad as well.

I will give an example:

I was doing keyword research last yr(I think June 2009) and thought it would be good to develop a site on resume's and liked the domain resumeformat,org for which I paid $400.

then I put 200 articles worth $500

then bit of seo, links from here and there. noting serious.

then it started ranking for keyword resume format in 2months.

After 3 months I was making $10 a day, i.e $300

I added bit more content ($100 content, $50 for links)

After 4 months it started making $18 i.e $540

After that I really did not care about that website as I was concentrating on others.

Once in a month ( I put part of my earnings back to the site).

Total investment :

domain $400

content $800

seo $200

Total investment : $1400

makes: $600+ monthly, only through adsense and have been consistent for last 6months.

Time I spend on it 2hr a month.

I got couple of offers for 24 months revenue, i.e $15,000

Is it bad? I do not know any business which gives this kind of money.

Hope this helped you.

Please forgive me if this is a bit of an odd question.

Do you consider $500 a month to be a lot of money for a web site to make?

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dedicated indeed.

jruez

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Audi, Great post and great site.

You stated:

Where do you get your articles? Did someone write them specifically for you or are there places to by the exact articles you needed?

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Audi, Great post and great site.

Where do you get your articles? Did someone write them specifically for you or are there places to by the exact articles you needed?

maybe try this: link

led-zepplin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excuse me, I'm new to this forum. I just created a website and I want to know how can I earn money with it :?:?

thanks for your help :)

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excuse me, I'm new to this forum. I just created a website and I want to know how can I earn money with it :?:?

thanks for your help :)
Go to the beginners section, and ask there.

led-zepplin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also could you reply me and then ask me to go on the beginners section..it seems more civilized
Ok I'll put on the section for beginners,and sorry for the inconvenience :)

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
also could you reply me and then ask me to go on the beginners section..it seems more civilized
Ok I'll put on the section for beginners,and sorry for the inconvenience :)

How to make a profital web-site is a long and detailed topic, and it is off-topic. I'm trying to help not hurt.

newviewit

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From my experience you will not make this money starting out.

Some things you will have to know:

-market research and analysis (keywords, competition, industry, etc)
-Internet profit models for different industries and how to tie it all together. This is so subtle and difficult to get right and takes lots of experience and a/b testing to optimize results.
-how to write sales copy and what products/services to promote. What are the profit goals of each page. You could just slap on Adsense but for bigger money branch out into other Affiliates.
-how to print money using Adwords. Once you find a niche that costs $xxx/month to get $xxxx/month profit you are golden (very tricky and costly mistakes... not for everyone)

Don't need to know website design or programming but it's helpfu.

Frakbar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of a content site of mine that makes anywhere between $2k and $5k a month....depending on the time of year. CoffeeDetective.com. Took me about a year to get to $500 a month. Been up for over 4 years now. Now I only have to put in about an hour a week...and the traffic and income keep growing. Lots of work at the front end...but well worth it.

Nick

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of a content site of mine that makes anywhere between $2k and $5k a month....depending on the time of year. CoffeeDetective.com. Took me about a year to get to $500 a month. Been up for over 4 years now. Now I only have to put in about an hour a week...and the traffic and income keep growing. Lots of work at the front end...but well worth it.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Nice site.. Is that your affiliate and adsense combined income or just adsense?

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well first you need a game plan , then find a niche domain you can market. then find the product to offer. and start marketing in you own city and make sales. i made xxx,xxx last year with a spanish domain , i found a niche and put some radio ads and boom the sales kept coming in. I quit my job and know i just got one of the largest hispanic magazine in kansas city. now i can market and advertise for free. Now i just market in the hispanic market period. you can do it but it takes hard work and consistent advertising and it will pan out trust me. if you need any help shoot me a email and see how i can help you with advice.

Last edited:

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the example. Much appreciated.

My 2 bits with an example of one of my websites.

$500 a month is not a lot of money to make via adsense but its not bad as well.

I will give an example:

I was doing keyword research last yr(I think June 2009) and thought it would be good to develop a site on resume's and liked the domain resumeformat,org for which I paid $400.

then bit of seo, links from here and there. noting serious.

then it started ranking for keyword resume format in 2months.

After 3 months I was making $10 a day, i.e $300

I added bit more content ($100 content, $50 for links)

After 4 months it started making $18 i.e $540

After that I really did not care about that website as I was concentrating on others.

Once in a month ( I put part of my earnings back to the site).

Total investment :

domain $400

content $800

seo $200

Total investment : $1400

makes: $600+ monthly, only through adsense and have been consistent for last 6months.

Time I spend on it 2hr a month.

I got couple of offers for 24 months revenue, i.e $15,000

Is it bad? I do not know any business which gives this kind of money.

Hope this helped you.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Nick

Amazing and encouraging. Does your traffic take a hit when Google changes up their algorithm?

nam6641

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would break it down and then begin to set goals.

$500/month = about $17/day

Now, for $17/day you have to get 14 email submits (through an affiliate company), or 10-50 adsense clicks (depending on niche and cost per click you receive), or 1 high end amazon.com product (think high end stereo systems), or 1 hosting commission every 5 days (usually pay $100 per sale), etc....

So it is relative, do you want to take something easy like email submits but you need to get a quantity of them so you need to drive high volume traffic, or do you want to get 1 high end commission sale per day, in which case you don't need volume of traffic as much as you need highly targeted traffic.

After you determine your method of revenue then build a site that will cater to your target demographic (if you are promoting high end electronics then your site should cater to the 23-45 year old male).

Then determine your traffic method. If you want organic search engine traffic make sure you aren't competing in a highly competitive niche. Then do proper onsite and offsite SEO.
If you are going to get traffic through youtube videos or article marketing then you may not be as concerned about backlink building.
And then each day spend time driving traffic through whatever method you chose. Over time you will build up a lot of solid promotion and you can work less time on the site but still make good money.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is Wordpress a good platform for such a site?

nam6641

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wordpress is great for such a site. Make sure you use the XML Sitemap Builder plugin and the All In One SEO plugin. These both help tremendously with your SERPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom