Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

is .net not popular or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any way to dig up the growth rate per year of all 3?
Sorry Seraphim, I don't have access to that. Did read on recent blog that fresh reg's are slowing down.

.BIZ recently passed 2 million reg's, and is now at 2,030,058

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
good to know a major part of domainers dont like .net.
Lowers prices and gives others an opportunity to buy good ones cheap.
I believe in .net and its growth has been steady. When you can buy a good one worder for a fraction of what the .com costs, they are a good investment. Ofcourse crap one worders wont sell as much, but good ones are appreciating. As a domain investor, I believe they are good to keep.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.net - puh-lease

i can barely stomach .org

In fact. .info is better than .net

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as typein potential goes .org is far ahead of .net, which is to a large degree the result of all the media coverage and tv commercials which show .org websites. Com and Org dominate the media vs net and other extensions you rarely if ever see on tv or in the media.

I believe the public thinks about typing-in .org 2nd next to .com overall, sometimes almost as much as com depending on the categories, such as health for example (and others).

Last edited:

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As far as typein potential goes .org is far ahead of .net, which is to a large degree the result of all the media coverage and tv commercials which show .org websites. Com and Org dominate the media vs net and other extensions you rarely if ever see on tv or in the media.
.com on TV certainly. Rarely do I see .org on TV though I do see it in print. Not sure in you're in the USA trader, but in North Carolina there are considerable # of .TV on TV, and I often come across local business using .biz and .us web addresses (on vehicles, in print, online advertising Yahoo and Google).

gorilla_bob

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I keep on going back and forth on .net's myself. I do feel .net has a future as more and more people go online and .com domains become too hard to get.

For me it's all about the branding. .COM, then .NET, and I tend to stay away from .ORG ... because i feel it has very limited use.

You ask Joe Plumber and he'll know exactly what the 3 major extensions are .COM, .NET, and .ORG.

You ask any Joe 5th grader what a .INFO is and he'll tell you it's a proxy site. :p

So it's all about the general non-domainer community and their sentiments on what the extensions relate to. I've been in technology for most my life and never considered .NET to be about "networks"... I always considered it to be short for "Internet". :)

Am I alone?

- Bob

SpartaN

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol

Joe the Plumber instantly recognises that Info means information. Com, Net, Org, while all famous extensions dont give people any clues.
In my experience, Info is perfect for developing informational sites.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
About 2 years ago Rick S wrote that .net owners are giving away money via traffic to .com owners of the same name
This is probably true for high traffic names
For others it doesn't really matter e.g. if you get 95 hits a day and lose 5 to dot com
Then recently someone offered 100s of LLL.net for sale on this forum
Add in a post or two from people claiming they had never seen a succesful .net and bingo!!

.net price drop
Good!!
I own interest . net and intend to develop it quickly so I have a biased opinion
And .net are cheaper to register than org or com at Fab

gorilla_bob

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol

Joe the Plumber instantly recognises that Info means information. Com, Net, Org, while all famous extensions dont give people any clues.
In my experience, Info is perfect for developing informational sites.

I have to disagree with you on .info... yes when someone here's the '.info' in a url, it would come to mind to them that it is an 'informative' site. The thing is though, you ask a Joe user if he's ever heard of .info before and more times not he will say he's never heard of it.... chances are they never heard of .info just like they never heard of .mobi.

As well, for more internet savy users, because .info domains are so cheap, they are widely used by proxy sites, spammers, or parked pages on the internet. For the most part, developed .info sites fall into the above 3 categories. So it does give .info a bad name when the developed sites fall under the above categories. Since people thinking they will get more "information" ... really don't and their user experience is tarnished. People know that when they REALLY want information about a subject, they go to wikipedia....not to a .info. :p

I'd rather have a .net any day over a .info and will be happy to trade my .info for an equivalent .net anyday. Any takers?

- Bob

Last edited:

Domainster

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe three letter .Net's still get the 2nd highest average prices. I think it's still the best choice after .Com for most profit based businesses seeking international exposure. I respect .Org, but it makes me think of orgasm.

I Agree.

FYI:
I sold 3 .Net's this year
1)$18,000
2) $8,200
3) $1,050

Also note:
1) OVERSEE - one of the biggest and deepest domain centric companies uses .NET in it's primary Web address...... Oversee.NET !!!
2) Some particulary smart and successful domain pro's have been buying a significant quantity of .NETs over the past few years (ie: Frank Shcilling, Kevin Ham/Vaxis, Amar K./ThoughtConvergence, Dan Warner/Fabulous....among others)

3) Above all else ....remember we're on the InterNET and Not the InterCOM !

.NET outpaces .ORG sales prices and overall totals in the secondary market by a wide margin.

Viva .NET !!!

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I definitely put .net above .org The main reason for this is because I see .net as internet.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As well, for more internet savy users, because .info domains are so cheap, they are widely used by proxy sites, spammers, or parked pages on the internet.
This is the opposite of my experience. The overwhelming majority of scams and email spam originate in .com, not .info. As far as parked pages, you may have a significant number of .info being parked ... yet these are a mere fraction of the number of .com's which are parked/PPC pages.

Total registrations in .com are over 78 million, and a huge number of these are poor quality domains that are being used for the illicit purposes you listed.

ARMG

Undeveloped.com - Domain name marketplace
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You simply can't state if the .net is in general better than .org or .info. For every keyword another extension works better.

For informative website the .info most of the time the extension really works out good for example; Drugs.info.

Although a lot of people would prefer the .org I always see more potential in the .net and .info. The .org extension simply only works out good for organizations. I can't think up any reason why end users would buy a good keyword .org instead of the .net or .info.

phoenix88

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about the idea that when you try to promote a .net domain you are actually diverting traffic to the .com . Ive read articles and ebooks on that.

I remember back when the internet boom happend when websited were promoted on TV it was always .com and .org . So that's what stuck for me.Then later on when surfing the internet I came across a .net site, I remember thinking.. another one, huh. So my point is I think my generation got alot of advertising exposure to .com and .org's .

You simply can't state if the .net is in general better than .org or .info.
Agreed.. and ultimately its about the purpose of the site.
I am more likely to buy from a .net site then a .org

It'll be interesting to see where things turn in the next 5 years.

Last edited:

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
Fanfiction.NET
ZShare.NET
Does that answers the question :)
Of course its nothing against the great .com but it should be better than .org for commercial sites

Domainster

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.net end user examples?

Oversee.Net -- one of the biggest, broadest and deepest domain centric companies (owns DomainSponsor, Moniker and SnapNames) .......as I mentioned above.

PokerStars.Net - widely advertised as well as endorsed by World Series of Poker players on TV.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Bravo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Idea.net, MegaShare.net....A lot of samples of live websites....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom