Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

It's renewal time, What are you doing with your .Mobi's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But in order for something to increase in value there must be demand, you could have all the .mobi in the world but if no one wants them then your out of luck.
Domainer's brains are whacked.

in order for something to increase in value there must be demand

Too many are equating value to demand by domainers.

Domainers DO NOT dictate global consumerism. And will not. If someone inquires about a name and that holder prices it so crazy high, the buyer goes elsewhere.

How about equating demand to usage?

Who wants to buy the domain ceuq dot com?

No one.

Look at that domain. It has a q in it. Why on earth would anyone buy that or use it.

2008 had 489,000+ users.

Already in 2009, 365,000+.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Domainers DO NOT dictate global consumerism. And will not. If someone inquires about a name and that holder prices it so crazy high, the buyer goes elsewhere.

No one.

Look at that domain. It has a q in it. Why on earth would anyone buy that or use it.

2008 had 489,000+ users.

nobody is talking about global consumerism.. thats an entirely different conversation. this is a domaining forum..

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
value has always been equated with demand

demand for any product either helps to sustain the price and productivity of an item/service or increase it.

lack of demand for a product/service will cause the price to drop and reduced productivity of that item/service.

it's a basic business principle.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
value has always been equated with demand

demand for any product either helps to sustain the price and productivity of an item/service or increase it.

lack of demand for a product/service will cause the price to drop and reduced productivity of that item/service.

it's a basic business principle.
How huge was the demand for Candy com?

We know this just sold.

We don't know the details.

Was the demand HUGE to the end user?

Doubtful.

Must have been enormous among domainers, eh?

I have a suspicion Rick and his marketing efforts first started out with an awareness campaign to the end user creating interest first.

I know what the basic principles of business are. I really do.

But we are discussing domain extensions here. Were we not?

And we were discussing how domainers percieve the value (worth) of an extension based on personal preferences, likes and dislikes. All of the AFOREMENTIONED has NOTHING to do with a value (worth) to the consumer.

If a domainer does not like an extension, that means nothing. If suddenly that extension is being used by the end user, then suddenly the DEMAND AMONG DOMAINERS is created. Domainers respond to the usage, not the usage responds to domainers.

So yes, MJ, it has EVERYTHING to do with consumerism. As one thread on here points out - because there is a URL shortener in use called bit . ly suddenly there is a demand BY DOMAINERS for .LY and SHORT EXTENSIONS.

That demand created by domainers does not equate to usage. Therefore, outside of domaindom, there is very little value and demand among consumers for the next bit ly.

Now, if someone wants to build a site using this then that may increase the demand.

Honestly, I find it hard to equate value to demand, demand to value in domaining based on personal likes and dislikes among domainers.

That is why 50-60k+ domains drop every day and another equal amount is regged every day.

NO shortage of the supply, limited demand, little value.

Duesenburg - Huge value, Limited supply but also limited market.

Yes, some domains will fall in this category.

BUT, 95% - 99% will not.

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

No one.

2008 had 489,000+ users.

I was not referring to domainers, rather end users. End users aren't even aware of the extension. I go to the AT&T store and start talking about .mobi and the guy looks at me as if I have three heads :?: Those are the types of people that should be aware of the extension, cell phone carriers and providers should know about the fastest alternative to access you favorite site via a mobile device and should be able to educate customers. How many .mobi have been sold to end users in the past year? According to NameBio there have been 250 reported .mobi sales since June 3,2008 - I would say demand is not very high for end users.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was not referring to domainers, rather end users. End users aren't even aware of the extension. I go to the AT&T store and start talking about .mobi and the guy looks at me as if I have three heads :?: Those are the types of people that should be aware of the extension, cell phone carriers and providers should know about the fastest alternative to access you favorite site via a mobile device and should be able to educate customers. How many .mobi have been sold to end users in the past year? According to NameBio there have been 250 reported .mobi sales since June 3,2008 - I would say demand is not very high for end users.
So some kid working in AT&T should be aware of .mobi.

Are they aware of .net? .org? .info?

Again, what the's point of saying someone selling phones and plans should be aware of a domain extension. A business with a high turnover rate.

I have this suspicion that AT&T wants their employees to sell phones and mobile phone packages rather than discuss domains.

It is like saying just because I am in medicine I should be able to walk into OR and do a c-section or a heart transplant. What? What do you mean, "I don't know how to do it?"

What kind of car do you drive? What, you don't know how to fix it?

I am doing my best to illustrate that domaining is a business complete and entirely different than any other business and the main business principles may not apply.

Yet every one wants to keep bringing into this thread change, after change,

yeah, but
yeah, but
what if
what if

Just because the salelady at Lowes sells me a lawn mower that does not equate to her knowing how to repair it if something goes wrong.

By the way, that 250 number is WAY off and whacked.

And who is to say that end users did not buy theirs already and making sites?

what was this thread about.

Back way way up.

Time to renew mobi's. What are you doing?

The same principles apply to every extension.

Again, because someone does not wish to renew the name they registered

just because it is regged in other extensions

does not mean it should have been regged in the first place.

Just because it was available does not mean it HAD to be regged.

If you dropped it and no one picked it up, what does that tell you.

It tells me you may have made a mistake in regging it to begin with.

MJ is selling Animal Shelter. Someone PM'd me and said I should get it. Why, I asked? Because I like dogs and animals? Perhaps. But why would I want that when I already have Rescues, K9s, Hound, and HoundDog and more .mobi.

Just because it is regged in another 5 or 6 extensions means nothing.

And for those that rely on what estibot, domain tools, or someone's blog about domaining...if you can not make a sound judgment without countless resources determining your buying choices, then please stay in the domaining business because I am not sure we can stand anymore clueless telemarketers or sales people working on commission.

I wonder, how many domains have been regged within the last 24 hours with the word CANDY in it?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say demand is not very high for end users.

dont forget theres still lots to handreg

big companies with tms own their mobis anyway or can get via wipo

lets take microsoft for example

they have 4 .mobi sites

www.msvirtualization.mobi

www.peopleready.mobi

www.gettag.mobi

www.MSans.mobi

they can just keep handreg as many of these as they want. in time its possible they may have more .mobi sites than any other extension. sound outrageous. you heard it here first.
same for disney.

other thing is if microsoft want www.ms.mobi they can just apply for it via rfp to mtld. maybe they will soon as the process just launched

people with patience will be rewarded, many domainers are fly by night and are followers, they'll get nowhere as we see every day

if you think big companies aren't using or adopting heres a small selection of huge companies that are:

http://mobisite.org/famousbrands.html

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So some kid working in AT&T should be aware of .mobi.

Are they aware of .net? .org? .info?

Again, what the's point of saying someone selling phones and plans should be aware of a domain extension. A business with a high turnover rate.

I have this suspicion that AT&T wants their employees to sell phones and mobile phone packages rather than discuss domains.

It is like saying just because I am in medicine I should be able to walk into OR and do a c-section or a heart transplant. What? What do you mean, "I don't know how to do it?"

What kind of car do you drive? What, you don't know how to fix it?

I am doing my best to illustrate that domaining is a business complete and entirely different than any other business and the main business principles may not apply.

Yet every one wants to keep bringing into this thread change, after change,

yeah, but
yeah, but
what if
what if

Just because the salelady at Lowes sells me a lawn mower that does not equate to her knowing how to repair it if something goes wrong.

By the way, that 250 number is WAY off and whacked.

And who is to say that end users did not buy theirs already and making sites?

I was just attempting to illustrate the awareness of .mobi - the employee at AT&T isnt some kid but rather the District Manager of Palm beach County, FL - who has been working with Cingular, then AT&T for over 6 years, dont you think he would have heard of it by now? SOmething as advantageous as a .mobi sould clearly be a topic of discussion for someone that has been selling mobile phones for the past 6 years. Customer comes in, "Why is WSJ.com loading so slow on my phone?" - he should be able to respond with, "Why dont you try their mobile version which loads faster and takes up less bandwidth, WSJ.mobi"

I'm not saying the guy has to build you a personal .mobi site, he should be aware of the extension, thats it. The sales lady at Lowes is knowledgable when it comes to lawn mowers and will be able to explain the nuances of the mower, if that is in fact her area of expertise.

Your a physician, you are not expected to perform certain surgeries because you have chosen to specialize in a certain field but I am sure you would be able to answer basic questions in regard to a particular surgery.

If my numbers for the past year's .mobi sales are "whacked" I apologize but can you provide me with the correct answer? If end users bought their .mobi when prices were sky high they were doing so due to demand, the supply is at its maximum and PEOPLE (domainers, end users, everyone) are not interested.

if you think big companies aren't using or adopting heres a small selection of huge companies that are:

http://mobisite.org/famousbrands.html

Those companies buy their brand name in every extension possible to protect their brand, but are consumers aware that they even have a .mobi site?

I wonder, how many domains have been regged within the last 24 hours with the word CANDY in it?

Funny you should ask: CandyCandyCandy.com was recently registered

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those companies buy their brand name in every extension possible to protect their brand, but are consumers aware that they even have a .mobi site?

if you check out though and have a good look
you will see companies like disney and some car manufacturers etc, who have domains in .mobi that arent even registered in .com, or they dont own

the blanket statement saying they take in all extensions is true for some companies and the domains are of their core names, say volvo.info for example
they wont resolve or are redirects

many of these in the link are unique, or specifically mobile complaint. many are promoted
word is getting out

imho many people who work in phone stores etc are inherently stupid also. many wont visit sites outside facebook or bbc lol
but people do need to start hearing about .mobi, and they will. it takes time. we are still a long way off critical mass, but its happening

look properly at that link

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just attempting to illustrate the awareness of .mobi - the employee at AT&T isnt some kid but rather the District Manager of Palm beach County, FL - who has been working with Cingular, then AT&T for over 6 years, dont you think he would have heard of it by now?
No, no, a thousand times no.

The person that sells me a car can be working at Flow Motors for 24 years and can tell me every thing there is to the new model and why I should by it because that is what he is trained and inserviced on.

you are not expected to perform certain surgeries because you have chosen to specialize in a certain field but I am sure you would be able to answer basic questions in regard to a particular surgery.
Ah, now suddenly I am not expected to know about every thing about something even though I work at a particular place.

Yet, you want to convince me that someone selling a product should know about a .mobi simply because he is a phone salesman with X number of years selling phones.

Would you go to this same guy to represent you in court if you got a DUI? Oh, that is another specialty. Why not? Surely he is familiar with DUI laws in Florida.

Just like the girl at Lowes. Do I take my lawnmower to lowes when it breaks down? No. They do not do repairs there. That is not their specialty.

Here's another example:

I am getting ready to enter into the world of Health Information Management and Technology. I had a phone conversation the other night with a domainer and a programmer (who happens to also be a member of this forum). He knows all the ins and outs of programming, has worked for HP, has god knows how many years of experience with nearly every program language there is.

When I mentioned this to him, his response was,

Isn't that best left in the hands of IT people and programmers?

Again, a thousand times no. Most IT people and programmers in a medical setting (and most settings) are responsible for the smooth running of the system(s), security of the system, trouble shooting problems, etc.

Do they know what to do, how to compile, how to bill for all that information? Do they know what PPS, ICD-9-CM, P4P, CPT, ICD-10 is? Why not? those are programs. that is how they get paid. that is how everyone gets paid in a healthcare setting. So how come they are into computers and programming but don't know what the programs and software is for and how to bill medicaid, medicare, BlueCross and Partners.

To make assumptions about someone selling a phone should know about .mobi, someone working in a hospital should know how to do a c-section, and someone working in Health Information Management should know C++, Cobol, Ruby, .NET, VB, Flash is exactly that - presumptive and wrong.

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if you check out though and have a good look
you will see companies like disney and some car manufacturers etc, who have domains in .mobi that arent even registered in .com, or they dont own

the blanket statement saying they take in all extensions is true for some companies and the domains are of their core names, say volvo.info for example
they wont resolve or are redirects

many of these in the link are unique, or specifically mobile complaint. many are promoted
word is getting out

imho many people who work in phone stores etc are inherently stupid also. many wont visit sites outside facebook or bbc lol
but people do need to start hearing about .mobi, and they will. it takes time. we are still a long way off critical mass, but its happening

look properly at that link

I checked the link again Pred - you are right, there are a few unique companies actively promoting and using .mobi

I personally think .mobi is great and has a lot of potential, I am really not bashing .mobi at all - the only problem is the awareness. A lot of businesses could benefit from owning a lighter version of their site for quick and easy ordering + viewing - especially for iphone users and the invention of 3g, now even 4g.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask: CandyCandyCandy.com was recently registered
Does that create a demand for it? a value? Is it rare? Will suddenly every CandyIsDandyButSexWontRotYourTeeth type domain going to be in high demand?

Does CandyCandyCandy equate to 3 mil because it is mentioned 3 times?

Better yet, would candy dot mobi be a GREAT dot mobi name?

How many people are going to search for a place to buy candy on a mobile phone?

Not all domains fit the extension and have a value simply because it is regged and sold in another extension.

Rick may be smart and shrewed (he is because he knows the art of negotiation where as most don't) but that does not mean I think flowers dot mobi was a good purchase at $200K

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To make assumptions about someone selling a phone should know about .mobi, someone working in a hospital should know how to do a c-section, and someone working in Health Information Management should know C++, Cobol, Ruby, .NET, VB, Flash is exactly that - presumptive and wrong.

That is not what I said. This conversation is going nowhere. You are arguing for the sake of arguing.

If you were AT&T would you educate your sales people about .mobi?

Does that create a demand for it? a value? Is it rare? Will suddenly every CandyIsDandyButSexWontRotYourTeeth type domain going to be in high demand?

Does CandyCandyCandy equate to 3 mil because it is mentioned 3 times?

Better yet, would candy dot mobi be a GREAT dot mobi name?

How many people are going to search for a place to buy candy on a mobile phone?

Not all domains fit the extension and have a value simply because it is regged and sold in another extension.

Rick may be smart and shrewed (he is because he knows the art of negotiation where as most don't) but that does not mean I think flowers dot mobi was a good purchase at $200K

I agree with you, not every domain fits the extension.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is not what I said. This conversation is going nowhere. You are arguing for the sake of arguing.

If you were AT&T would you educate your sales people about .mobi?
NO, Hell NO.

I would educate the employees on the phones and plans. Nothing else. They are not there to promote any thing or anything else other than AT & T products and plans.

That is like the comment made by the CEO of google pointing out at a keynote convention telling all these corporate heads to go mobile or die. Someone was quik to point out that he did not mention .mobi.

Really? What a shock.

AT&T and Google stockholders will be quick to tell you that their CEO, their business, their staff, their stores are their for the benefit to promote the company and make money for the stockholders.

There is a brand new AT&T store not more than 5 miles from my house right next to a brand new Krispy Kreme. I am talking not more than 3 months old.

Why would I expect them to sell anything else other than the product that is one their sign?

I am not arguing. I am pointing out the flaws of points made and the presumptions domainers (people) are making.

I have a Helio Ocean. Last year, I was in a mall two states away and saw these huge signs in a record store for the Helio Ocean and the Helio line.

I asked some guy how has sales been on these. He said not good because the local area provider does not support them. I asked him if he had Sprint in the area and he said yea. "Then they work", I said. I pulled mine out and showed him and the other two sales associates. This was their first time of actually seeing the product being used. They had no idea at all that Helio used Sprint and they worked flawlessly.

The guy asked me where I was from and I told him the Winston area. He was the district manager he, told me, and covered Winston-Salem in his territory!

I was shocked he knew nothing and his staff knew nothing about the Helio. Then again, this was the nationwide music chain that Helio chose to partner with when the came out. Their business was selling music and CD's and Movies, and such. Helio Phones and Phone plans? Naw, that is not where the emphasis is.

That chain was F.Y.E.

Does this mean that the Helio Product was bad? A failure? No, not at all. It was a poor business decision to depend on another company to promote and sell that product as a direct sales when this was not F.Y.E's business model and core product.

Am I going to be up in arms if the CEO of F.Y.E does not mention Helio in his address to the shareholders?

Helio does not exist as a company any more having been purchased by Virgin Mobile. And it is still an awesome product and plans.

WhiteLight

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I concur. Very little demand. Well stated Doc Com!

Last edited:

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.Mobi is dead. End of story. Good idea during its day - browser recognition sounded the death knell. Ancient punt and all losers I think. Just my 2c.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm done and Doc Com wins by filibuster!

:)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm done and Doc Com wins by filibuster!

:)
Well, that's one way to look at it.

Here's another -

Henchforth, nothing is "business as usual"

Again, once more with feeling...

Domainers do not control the internet.
They just wish they did.

~ Doc Com ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators