Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

It's renewal time, What are you doing with your .Mobi's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i seriously doubt the whole Cars.ebay and Club.pepsi thing is going to happen like you're talking about. even if it does... this doesnt automatically mean people will *know* where to go.

just like people dont *know* to go to a .mobi address for mobile websites unless that address is specifically mentioned/advertised somewhere.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think ebay is a done deal *as far as applying*

It is only a matter of time before a big company steps forward and takes that first step. Others will sit back and measure the success from a global branding perspective.

Then they will jump in. The will see the benefits of being their own URL. Remember, we are talking domains here but they are seeing these not as domains but web addresses that people will use.

No, people will not know immediately where to go.

Take someone like ebay. There are now 32 different country specific ebay's.

How many eBay members are there? What if eBay slowing rolled out their own TLD and promoted it on their site and television? Remember, we are talking a global company and a global awareness here. Geo specific and geo targeting. Already when I do a search on google a great many results come back that are local based on my IP.

Ebay already has a massive audience. They are going to promote themselves on their site, TV, and print as they currently do so. That is what they do. They promote their own brand. Except now their own brand includes their own web address. No more ebay.com, ebay.de, ebay.jp. Now it is kendi.ebay, 自動の.ebay, تِلْقائيebay.

Where does .mobi fit in?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a mod threatening me because I attempted to draw a correlation between a person's personal likes and dislikes (regarding a specific category) and now in this thread how a person's personal likes and dislikes of an extension determining the value and worthiness (in terms of dollars, recognition, and consumer usage) of a domain or an extension

No, what you did was inject something that happened in the Geo thread into my thread. You do this kind of cr*p all the time.

Your biggest problem is not letting go of something, even it means polluting somebody elses thread.

Please take your drama BS somewhere else OK?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
boo hoo hoo for raider.

poor girl.

inability to put one and one together to get two.

boo hoo hoo.

she ends up getting exactly what she wants but still wants to ***** and moan.

boo hoo hoo.

so sad that it comes from someone who has never interjected extraneous BS into someone else's thread.

boo hoo hoo.

what is it that i can't let go of, darling? your love and affection?

boo hoo hoo.

I'm not stuck with 700.

I dumped them all.

that's why I am crying.

Even dumped gerry.mobi.

the pressure is too great.

boo hoo hoo

whoa is me

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:
Originally Posted by Doc Com
I have a mod threatening me because I attempted to draw a correlation between a person's personal likes and dislikes (regarding a specific category) and now in this thread how a person's personal likes and dislikes of an extension determining the value and worthiness (in terms of dollars, recognition, and consumer usage) of a domain or an extension

No, what you did was inject something that happened in the Geo thread into my thread. You do this kind of cr*p all the time.

Your biggest problem is not letting go of something, even it means polluting somebody elses thread.

Please take your drama BS somewhere else OK?

this was exactly my point to Doc Com as well

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not stuck with 700.

I dumped them all.

Now why would you dump over 10K in reg fees on a TLD that has SOOOO much potential? A TLD cell phone users shouldn't live without? A TLD you spent years preaching on this Forum as the next dot com?

Just curious.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now why would you dump over 10K in reg fees on a TLD that has SOOOO much potential? A TLD cell phone users shouldn't live without? A TLD you spent years preaching on this Forum as the next dot com?

Just curious.

he was being sarcastic. although there are certainely times when dropping and/or liquidating is necessarily in any TLD. particularly if you are into short term flipping like i am.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You guys are famous of being off topic.
Back to the topic if you have something to say or I will have to excuse Raider to close the thread. Hi jack the discussion thread is not much difference than hi jack a sales thread.

You can always create a topic yourself without using someone else thread.

Sorry Raider!

John

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do the [sic] use m.?
You've got to love this: mob.hkheadline.com. Yes, just mob. (and NOT mobi.). LOL! I still love m. though.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
liquidating several hundred - i do this about every year tho.. had a total of 900 a few weeks ago.. sold somewhere over 100 so far and raised a bit over 4k.. plan to get down to 350-400 total again like i had this time last year.. the reason i gained 500+ .mobi's in a year was because of the landrush drops i picked up and flipped several hundred.. lots of decent keywords dropped in 2008 on the "landrush anniversary"... but its all speculation and not everything sells so have to liquidate/firesale the rest.

nobody really lists .mobi's for sale on the main domain forums anymore because almost everyone interested in buying/selling is at the other .mobi forum... i dont think im allowed to mention other forums specifically here but google it.

Wow, I didn't realize you were doing this amount of volume. Congrats on the sales MJ... Question; Since prices of mobi's have dropped so dramatically and sales have slowed, will you continue to register more or look to other TLD'S?

You can always create a topic yourself without using someone else thread.

Sorry Raider!

John

NP

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize you were doing this amount of volume. Congrats on the sales MJ... Question; Since prices of mobi's have dropped so dramatically and sales have slowed, will you continue to register more or look to other TLD'S?

i will have to wait and see when the landrush anniversary drops come again in 6 months or so... i will definitely be more picky this time around but its really hard to predict what people will buy. the LLL.mobi thing among domainers has collapsed (especially in the very low end) and about 1,000 are now freely available to register... i knew this would happen because prices shot up wayyyy too fast in the beginning. i would often tell people in my own sales threads that i thought the prices were going to continue to fall.. mainly because i knew who did the LLL.mobi buyout and i was pretty sure he was going to drop all of them (4,500 of them :eek:)... which was something like a $100,000 loss for him. he should have sold more when they were at $200 minimum but he was trying to control the market. its true if you offload thousands of LLL domains at once prices will drop significantly but if you hold them for 2 years like he did there is no telling what will happen.

i havnt really seen any new TLD's that have caught my interest... although i think its possible to be successful domaining in pretty much any TLD.. you just have to understand and be connected to the aftermarket... this is much easier when you are only dealing with 1 TLD... although ive made some aftermarket purchases that i took losses on and should have just stuck with my original landrush buys and $8 handregs from drops.

Big P

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of geo .mobis as well as a few others & I am renewing them.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and now in this thread how a person's personal likes and dislikes of an extension determining the value and worthiness (in terms of dollars, recognition, and consumer usage) of a domain or an extension
Registering domains for investment or speculation should not involve personal likes or dislikes, which I guess is a "rule" known to everyone even newbies. I have quite a few geo .biz (geo in the sense of EXACT place names, no i or e, nothing more or less) which I honestly don't like but have kept renewing for years, BECAUSE I know very well that they're worth at least 50 years of registration fees. So if a veteran drops a .mobi AFTER CALCULATION, that domain must not be worthy of renewing, if not totally worthless.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
50 years of registration???

So you have NEVER regged a com, net, org, or whatever and never dropped it?

Again, is it worthless from the very onset even when you made the decision to reg it?

How is it possible to be worthless based on the premise no one re-regged it when you dropped it but,

was not worthless when you regged it?

The whole concept is bunk.

How many times have you, I, or anyone else done a search for dropped domains and FOUND ONE that was regged in 5 of the 6 top registered?

Now what?

Are we lucky we found it?

Or are we stupid to reg it because someone else dropped it?

This is why the argument of something being worthless because no one else regged it is stupid and asinine. Honestly, how many "gems" have we regged over the years that were dropped by someone else.

Or, when you find one, do you let it be because it MUST be worthless BECAUSE it is the only one in gTLD's remaining?

If you find a .com dropped and unregged but all other top gTLD's are taken, do you leave it based on your same rationale? Otherwise, aren't you saying you would be foolish to reg it because all the others are taken but this one is out there?

Where does this rationale start and stop? Just with .mobi? It does not apply to .com, .net, .org, .info, .us, .ca?

I would love to see examples of what .com, .net, .org, .info, .mobi, .us, you have left because it was the only one left in an extension.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update on my comment from a few posts up:

some guy from Japan just bought the last 1,000+ LLL.mobi's over the span of a few hours... buyout now complete once again.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update on my comment from a few posts up:

some guy from Japan just bought the last 1,000+ LLL.mobi's over the span of a few hours... buyout now complete once again.
well, there goes the neighborhood.

I should drop one just because....

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
before the buyout got broken i would delete some every night and post that i deleted em... they all got reg'd by people up until the buyout collapsed.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
50 years of registration??? ...
Because that's when .mobi just started, right after landrush. I thought it was obvious. Yes, I must admit I was stupid to even think it's worth something back then, partly because I buy in the bright future of mobile browsing (which I still do, just NOT with .mobi).

To be honest, it's really difficult to follow your "argument" because you apparently didn't even get my points.

When a name is registered in ALL gTLDs and MANY ccTLDs, that obviously means good demand. And you know what, DEMAND and SUPPLY determine PRICE. (Econ 101) So if you can't even get that, I have nothing more to say.

So for such a name, one would guess it's worth some investment in the new .mobi. I was wrong. I came to learn that very few websites actually use .mobi as a brand.

And the wheels of TLD development is gearing up, soon it will be buried in the sea of countless .mob if not .m. It's unfortunate for .mobi, perhaps it's a wrong dot (TLD) at a wrong time.

People are still not ready for that. Time will tell, so there's really no need for argument; just take a look at .biz, .info and .us.

Very much like I don't buy into .CA domains, because there are TLDs that simply don't make it, or at least too slow for now.

Goodbye .mobi, hello .m, or m. or whatever.

Why am I babbling in such an extended, disorganized manner? It must be infectious. Damn it. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom