Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Less.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this is a great one...50k reseller

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, agree with the rest of them, 100k to sky's the limit. Killer acquisition... very nice!

Nacho

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good domain. As for quality of the acquisition. Not certain how others can determine this, unless one knows how much you paid. Strong points of the name are the length and potential brandability, in countless markets, if developed. Down side to the name, not a strong keyword as no real advertisers are paying for this keyword. Does not look like this domain sees a lot of natural type -in traffic, so buying or selling this name on parked revenue is probably not in play, would be my guess. Also seems monetizing this domain may be a challenge due to how generic it is. So for value, to an end user, 6 figures. As for domainer value, I would say
20-30k.

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good domain. As for quality of the acquisition. Not certain how others can determine this, unless one knows how much you paid. Strong points of the name are the length and potential brandability, in countless markets, if developed. Down side to the name, not a strong keyword as no real advertisers are paying for this keyword. Does not look like this domain sees a lot of natural type -in traffic, so buying or selling this name on parked revenue is probably not in play, would be my guess. Also seems monetizing this domain may be a challenge due to how generic it is. So for value, to an end user, 6 figures. As for domainer value, I would say
20-30k.

Not sure yet about natural traffic. According the previous owner, he got a couple hundred hits a day on it, but some of it could have been from SE. Fortunately, I have never, and will never, sell a domain based on stats. It's just not why I buy names in the first place. Traffic, to me, is sort of like a added bonus.

As far as what a domainer would be willing to pay: Today I had a 6 digit offer for it. So you never know.

Appreciate all the opinions!

domaingirl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure yet about natural traffic. According the previous owner, he got a couple hundred hits a day on it, but some of it could have been from SE. Fortunately, I have never, and will never, sell a domain based on stats. It's just not why I buy names in the first place. Traffic, to me, is sort of like a added bonus.
I couldn't agree more. My big sale was for close to $1 Million, and the domain certainly didn't have stats to back it up. IMO, domain is worth at the very least $250K. Good luck!

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. My big sale was for close to $1 Million, and the domain certainly didn't have stats to back it up. IMO, domain is worth at the very least $250K. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing DomainGirl.

Now you know that there are going to be a lot of interested people who want to know what the domain was. Not that I blame you if you would rather keep it private. Congrats on the big sale!

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can first see what the existing traffic wants. PPC stats will show that.

It could be a social network. People can go there to use less of a lot of different things in life - less fuel, less food, less money to buy things, etc.

But if its mainly about less money then its one more discount website, and that would seem uninteresting. It should have something more compelling than just saving money, to differentiate you.

Tying it to global warming, about using less resources, and making it a social network, could be interesting. You might find a lot of advertisers were interested in getting involved.

Kevin

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fantastic name. Tell dotcom sold for $400,000 recently. If THAT name can sell for THAT price, Less dotcom can do ALOT better imo.

I wouldn't sell Less for less than $500k minimum if I owned it.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Giode, this one should see nothing less than a superstore like Amazon on it. Terrific domain that just speaks for itself. Most here might say 50-75k, but I'll stick out my neck and say 200k. One hell of a brandable name for a online shopping site..

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the big sale!

Ditto. Let us know what the name was, DomainGirl, unless of course there's some reason why you "can't." Should be interesting to see if it's anything we can confidently agree would have gotten an appraisal in the forums at around what it went for.

Looks like the Less.com thread is now "the thread that would not die." If it weren't for the current global oil crisis and subprime mess ("less mess!") here in the US, it's starting to look like this domain could be snowballing in the direction of being appraised at "price-less." ;) Given what just happened with America.com and Pizza.com, I would recommend taking it slow and steady, because it may not be the best time now for this domain to get its due. Less haste, more paced! (Hey, not bad, ay? :) ).

It was well posted early in the thread about how less is more. I wonder if this one could even be a good candidate for going outside the box like this. Could we be looking at a genuine, no whammies mid to high xxx,xxx or more if that were neatly done with a nice little press release, maybe a few notices to some big players, too?

Last edited:

Ownager

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yes, yes we are all curious... what was the domain? Congrats either way!

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a famous domain that was up for auction on eBay in 1999, when the potential for bidding debacles was even worse than it is now. The closing bid was $10,000,000, but it turned out to be a fake. (Was it anyone here at DNF, by the way? Be honest. :)..."I'm Spartacus!"..."No, I'm Spartacus!" :)) Well, despite the hapless outcome, it was nonetheless reported in the media that the next highest bid of $6,700,000 was actually real, and there was even a quote from the bidder. Although I do not know why, the domain was eventually allowed to drop and I was able to reg it in 2002, having read about this domain before the drop. I've never seen any other mention of the previous registrant, either. (Was it anyone here? :)) It's a phrase that's familiar to practically everyone on the planet, give or take, and a part of global pop culture - but in this case its value is totally unrelated to the question of immediate traffic.

Yes, yes we are all curious... what was the domain? Congrats either way!

Will DomainGirl leave us clueless? Wouldn't you be speechless? I doubt any of us would think less of her if the domain was deemed to be worth less than less.com, but leaving us hanging needlessly could be heartless. :)

Last edited:

DNBA

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
id say low xxx,xxx. nothing less ;)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would pay 100k for this domain just to flip it for more...it's low to mid xxx,xxx for sure

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Somebody regged lless.com last year, and someone else lless.net in Feb. Interesting whois. Is "lless" a well known term in other languages, or is this more or less meant to ride the less wave we never new was there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom