Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Links.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Think about it. You're Joe Biz, have no idea about "SEO", "serps" and such stuff.
But being a country boy you understand "links". Plain and simple.
Who said about selling it to the SEO guys. They can't even get SEO.com at the #1 spot!

Domain summit 2024

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
joe biz only wants and understands ONE THING

PAGE ONE

they want 'links' on page one of google and yahoo, etc

that means SEO/SEM and they don't really understand all the acronyms, they're doctors, lawyers, mechanics, etc

they want to see their site on PAGE ONE at the big sites

none of them are looking for 'links' or 'seo' or 'sem'

the decision makers are all too busy in real life being what they are

anyway, links.com is a 'nice' keyword, but I doubt it will ever sell for more than 100K

but then again, business.com sold for what?

so who knows, some company with money to burn may pay 1M for it, but I doubt it

some domain speculator will probably end up with it, thinking it's got value and not realize, there's not many end users with money to buy it

at best, it's a development project and a minor adsense type revenue site

in fact, you can get black listed at google by being 'link heavy', links are a red flag to google, that's why they've become almost irrelevant in the algorithm to establish serp position today

the more I think about it, I may have been to 'high' on my appraisal, there's not much of a market for any major company making money off of 'links' per se

sure, SEM involve 'links' technically, but google and yahoo etc sure don't promote their business as a 'links' business

it's like owning rubber.com and thinking goodyear or firestone would want it

a. no one uses rubber to make tires today
b. tires is what they sell, not rubber

same with 'links', the SE's technically sell 'links' yet, no one promotes their business as being a link seller

and if you try to buy 'links' it's black hat (a joke of a term) according to google etc

so reciprocal links and 'paid links' are all no no's they say

they want to have links from whatever, discretion links

snooze................

I'm just repeating the BS most are throwing around about the whole industry

the bottom line is businesses want PAGE ONE, so 'links' as a keyword is not relevant to seo/sem/web-developing

show a business model for a 'links directory'

there are none

you have directories (dmoz, yahoo, etc)

none say they're 'links directories' and I've seen that term thrown around here

so if there is a 'links directory' show me it, it doesn't exist, at least a major revenue generating 'links directory'

you have SE's and 'directories, you have link exchanges, you have banner exchanges

the more I think about practical revenue making applications for links.com the less I can think of a real life revenue model for a site trading as 'links.com'

yet, it is at first blush a keyword that should be worth something

the problem is, who can make money with it?

real money, not chump change adsense revenues

that's what determines the real value of any domain name

yet, you have some weird sales here and there of domains selling for huge values that aren't really ideal for any revenue models

while SEM is now a billion dollar industry, 'links' is not a major industry, even though SEM involves 'links' technically

again, I don't see people putting 'appraisals' into the thread, just opinions, my opinion on the value was given but it's getting boring trying to discuss this name

give an example of a revenue making application for it

some say 'link directory'

show me one?

no such animal that makes major money

let's see

linkdirectory.com

'a seo friendly link directory'

hahaha

links starting at 1.00

wow, a major revenue generator

sorry, links is not a money making keyword

no one spending big bucks to buy it (links keyword at google), means little value to an end user

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Another lengthy post about "SEO, Page One", blah blah blah. It'd help if you'd capitalize the first word of every sentence, added punctuation etc.

Why are you ranting over how Links.com is not appealing to the SEO industry?

By the way, this is a statement to be taken with a LOT of salt. A lot of brick and mortar Marketing firms would LOVE to own Links.com

Nobody wants a self-fulfilling prophecy. The domain is in a class of its own.

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i'm just responding to all the posts about why links.com is so great

like i said, it's a 'nice' domains, but not what some are claiming it to be

no end users want it, at least none with big bucks to buy it

it's an appraisal thread and a bunch of people want to say what it's worth, I did, and now I'm responding to comments saying whatever

it's an 'appraisal discussion' thread

links.com = 'nice domain' not a multi million dollar gem as some claim

my opinion, not a rant

forums are not places i don't worry about caps and punctuation

links.com a 'nice' domain, but I don't see major end users wanting it

imo

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Capitalization and punctuation is indicative of one's overall approach to matters, including business copywriting. You preach about SEO placement and want to be taken seriously when you lack basic structural and grammatical skills? Unless it's a matter of laziness, which speaks even worse of what you offer. Also, pushing for "Page one" in your responses now makes sense; I see that you bid on that keyword pair on Google. Lastly, to deem "Links.com" as a domain that's not worth seven figures shows some serious lack of domain valuation expertise. Instead, you seem to be preoccupied with what you'd pay for it, not the majority of end users.

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
forums are hardly where you need to put proper grammatical prose

I'm not interested in links.com other than it was an interesting domain to appraise

if the domain had any 'major' value (1m+), it would have been sold 10 years ago

it's a step below what a major domain name is

that's my opinion

bottom line is there is no business model of revenue for it

so no mega value

yet, to someone running something to do with 'links' it has a value

but those types of businesses have no real business models for making money, again money as in 1M+ a year

links.com while a nice keyword, is not what some are appraising it at

my 2 cents

and how I post with our without punctuation or caps in a forum is irrelevant

a forum to me is a like text message

you type in a casual style

anyway, the end user for it is probably a seo/sem firm and I'm in that industry so what I would pay for such a name is part of how I did my appraisal

only now I'm rethinking the whole appraisal, it should be lower, since other end users are like me, aware of how the word is pretty irrelevant to our industry

now, is there another end user not in seo/sem/web-development for 'links'

?

yeah, a 1.00 a link 'link directory'

haha

hardly a 'major' user for an excellent keyword, that in reality has no major revenue potential

businesses put money into names that will bring ROI

there's no major ROI to owning links.com

so no major value

bottom line, who is looking for 'links' in searches?

not a person looking to spend money on seo/sem or web development

so where do you create revenue to get a ROI on the money to acquire it?

the name now has a what 300K alexa, minor traffic for a major keyword

yet, it has some traffic

but a 300K alexa site isn't a high value item

http://alexa.com/siteinfo/links.com

even if it was page one for 'links' which it isn't, right, the traffic wouldn't be that significant

so it's just a 'wow' type of keyword, that in reality is not that significant of a search word for any major end user (a public company with 1M+ to blow on keyword domains)

my opinion

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bottom line is there is no business model of revenue for it

Sure, if you are thinking 1995 and are stuck on the mindset of what "links" currently means to the internet. But in 2009, there are many different tools, methods and ways available to monetize a name like this. All it takes is creative thinking and execution.

Examples:

Stumble Upon
Delicious
Dmoz
Bored.com
CoolHomepages.com

All sites with nothing but a bunch of links.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Adoni - sorry but your arguments make little sense.

Candy.com sold for $3 million now, even though it was registered in 1994. Major example, there are hundreds of others - just visit DNJournal.com for past and recent sales of generic and compound domains.

Why are you being short-sighted and quoting all this SEO mumbo-jumbo?

Links. It's what you visit on the Internet.

Heck, I might as well offer this as a free motto :D

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
candy.com let's see candy is a BILLION dollar industry

links.com let's see PPC is a billion dollar industry but 'links' sorry no major players for it

so while the net revolves around 'links', there's no identifiable 'industry' that would want the name

that's why it has no one buying it at SE's

last time I check not one ppc buyer for the name

that means zero interest

that means it's not gonna get sniffed at in 1M+ buyers

links.com while a 'nice' cool domain name is not a mega money domain

why is it available in 2009?

it's not something anyone wants to put major bucks into (1M+)

while it's probably one of the 'better' domains owned by people in this forum, it's probably not the most valuable one

anyway, I have a ton of clients to see this afternoon

so I doubt I'm gonna keep posting in this thread, how do I turn off notices from this thread?

ok10

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adonivideo, you are way too wrapped up in repeating the same mumbo-jumbo (the way Acro put it) about what you think SEO people would want. First of all, all these theories you wrote are your opinions; you have no ideo what other SEO people think. Second, what SEO people may want is not very relevant to the value of links.com.

Fly.com sold for $1.8 million to travelzoo. People don't really search for Fly when they search for a flights, and noone really bids for fly either. Fly.com sold because Fly is a good proxy for travel or buying air-fares online. Plus Fly is a short cute word, and the buyer decided that $1.8 million was a good deal relative to alternatives.

Links is a very good proxy for search or internet. Sure search.com or internet.com may be better, good luck buying those two names.

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
let's see

FLY a keyword for what? the airline and travel industries BILLION DOLLAR MAJOR END USERS, you just proved my point

I don't know what other SEO companies 'think'? I know what they bid on, that's 'think' in this line of reasoning. FLY .com is a brandable MAJOR INDUSTRY keyword, 1.8M was 'cheap'.

Links.com has no major big money end users for it, sorry, but that is 'reality' something many domain owners don't deal in. I buy domains for clients all the time, most are geo-keywords, and I get them at fractions of what domain owners 'think' they're worth.

I also acquire 'keywords' for clients, and again, I get paid to get them at 'fractions' of what they're supposed to be worth.

While links.com is a 'nice' domain, it's not the big gun some here think. When it sells it may not even bust the 100K mark. Until them, it's all speculation, but if you consider potential END USERS with fat wallets, is the KEY to a domain name getting over the 1M+ range, there's not identifiable end users that I can think of for it, that doesn't mean the name is not 'nice' and worth a substantial amount of money, it's just not the mega dollar domain some here are tagging it as.

Sorry, but I deal in reality and there's no identifiable major industry end users for 'links.com'

While it's a heck of a domain name, the nM+ appraisals people are tagging it with are not grounded in 'reality', they're speculators dreaming of a pay day.

While you try to find a pay day for the name, the owner would be better off finding a buyer at a 'real level' dumping it and then churning the proceeds into other domains where end users can MAKE MONEY of the domain, by obtaining a keyword or even some major GEOkeywords that have people paying 10 to 30 bucks a click for.

You want to own a cool domain no one pays for clicks on? Or you want to own a bunch of not so cool keywords that tons of people are paying big bucks per click for?

Anyway, that's how I see it, it's a nice domain, but, if you put aside all the speculative fawning over it, it's not a very valuable domain name, not in the league of what has been mentioned, like fly.com etc., it's not a 1M+ domain.

There were plenty of deep pocket end users with cash for fly.com, there's none for links.com, IMO.

I wonder what the high offer on it was? It probably happened pre 2000

Darn, I'm running late, have to go.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks for capitalizing, much better :D

I still think you're missing the point of the game here. Sure, any domain can be on the #1 spot on Google.

But that's not the only way money is made. Before "SEO" became an online buzzword there was a thing called "Advertising & Marketing". It's still the biggest industry in the world.

I don't see why you choose to dissect the word - it's a common, generic term used by billions of Internet users. The company who'd own Links.com would have a strong asset in their hands.

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the 'point' is, acquire and sell domains above your cost, make money

now, links.com is an 'asset' sitting in someones portfolio for over a decade

the time to sell it was in the late 90's

now who wants it?

an end user is the 'ideal' buyer, the problem is, there is no clear cut 'industry' for it

sure, the whole net revolves around 'links' per se, but so does everyone use electricity and an isp and a cpu and a hard drive, etc

so, generic term, is 'nice' but the money is in keywords for an 'industry' that people pay big bucks at ppc giants for

the money those companies 'pay' to control SEM ads justifies owning a keyword domain, example

I have a ton of clients that buy

geo (where I work) and keyword

the geo can be one of around 6 or so terms

the state, the area of the state and the major markets in that area

the keywords are relative to that persons business

auto repair
doctors
lawyers
hair salon
tires
brakes
rims
wheels
pawnshop
nightclub

whatever

these business owners are all bidding against other owners of similar business to get high sponsor position in serps

they pay guys like me to do custom SEO work so they get organic serp position

you know what the first thing I advise them to do? acquire the geo keywords that aren't registered and try to buy the ones wholesalers own that are reasonable

so all day long I'm buying and registering domains for owners who have businesses that need them, so they can control serps in google and yahoo

now, two of the most expensive IT guys in corporate america today do what I do, the SEO guy and the SEM guy

either one can pull the trigger and buy a domain for 1M+ if he can justify it via ROI

now, who in corporate america wants to own links.com?

no one, that's why no one is buying 'links' as a keyword

so that means no one is coming with a fat check (over 1M+) to buy it

this is an appraisal and discussion thread isn't it?

I put one of the lowest appraisals on the name and look, WOW, a bunch of domain speculators are now trying to shoot it down

fine, I deal with theis stuff all day for a living, just like I deal with SEO and link buys and editorial pushes and email campaigns, you name it as far as internet marketing goes, I'm involved in it for clients

now, when a client I have is dishing out several dollars per click for geo keywords, eventually the conversation gets around to it's time to invest into some geo keywords you're buying clicks on

then the client sees the value of it

they see keywords I own and how I get page one easily just via owning the keyword

so they BUY what I suggest and register any open keywords in the TLD's I tell them they need

.com/.net/.us/.org./.info usually

I explain, look, the algorithm of the SE's have a pecking order, like youtube has for content too

a certain tld is automatically NUMBER ONE, and 99.9% of the time that tld has no interest in that keyword

anyone want to guess what TLD has instant number one position if they have a site?

next up, believe it or not

.ORG

so all the 'domain experts' are chasing .com and the reality is for SEO the .org is supposed to pop over the .com

you guys do know that right?

.info was also supposed to do that, but that's open for debate, it may not now be relevant

then .com then .us or .net

now there's other factors controlling serps, but the main one is keyword relevancy to the url and the root domain name

so let's see

links.com

links.org will rank over it so is the .org worth more?

another TLD will rank over both of them

but the owner of that TLD has no interest in 'links'

it's a keyword, some minor content and it pops in serps

so what, NO ONE BUYS 'links' as a keyword PPC buy

why not? everyone uses links

but no one has a business model that makes money via links searches, for the word 'links'

just like if you owned 'air'

wow 6 billion people use it every minute

and except for 'nike' there's virtually no commercial use for it

same with 'links' a great domain, a keyword, yet, no practical revenue model for it

that means little value

while other keywords for an industry may fetch 5M even 10M (has one hit that high yet?)

and many could hit 1M to 3M, the monetary value of 'links' .com is not in that league

Heck, I hope it sells tomorrow for 10M+

I like to see everyone make money

But, let's deal in 'reality'

I'm not a domain name speculator per se

Sure I own thousands of domains

I own a ton of geo + keywords

I bought and sold a ton of domains over the years

Anyway, I gave an appraisal and others want to shoot it down, great, that's the point I guess of an appraisal 'discussion', and it's been pretty civil, so that's cool

maybe a few people 'learned' something from my posts, maybe some thing I don't know jack

the ones who search know I know what I do

I look at links.com like a beautiful woman, sure looks good, but hows the 'action' if you know what I mean

hehehe

I don't see any 'action' by owning it, my advise, dump it ASAP and reinvest the nice check you will get into some more relevant domains for 'businesses' that BUY the keywords you could acquire if the owner sold this beauty that doesn't put out

You want to score right?

So why waste time with 'looker' who don't give you 'action' if you know what I mean

All the years owning this domain and probably rejecting some nice 'offers' years ago, and what?

You still own it and you could have turned that 'offer' how many times by now?

So if the 'point' is, buy and sell domains, holding on to a 'nice' looking keyword and waiting for that 'score' is well... a waste of an asset

It needs to be sold and the money put into domains that people pump big bucks into PPC for

That's why I put a lower than everyone else value on it

And now that I'm thinking about it, I was too high, there's no major market for it

Is the word getting 100K 'offers'

I doubt it

Has it ever gotten one offer over 100K? I doubt it, if it did, it's probably over 10 years ago

So why own it? Sell it, I noticed someone said something about 'golf' and 'links'

That's probably one of the few applications that could generate revenue, a golf portal

A links portal?

No one lining up to pay for 'links' in search engines, so why would advertisers pay for any traffic to it

Now you create 'golf content' then maybe you can dump it to a golf company or course or developer

Even then, it's not a 100K to them

So, it's a 'beautiful' keyword, like a beautiful woman who will NEVER give you any action, what's the 'point'

Now if say 'Nike' was coming out with a new golfing line of clothes named 'links'

Or some other sports clothes manufacturer, fine, they may want to acquire it

But google and yahoo or other PPC sites will never make an offer on it

It's a low traffic keyword, that sure looks attractive as heck, but in reality, there's no major end use for it

Sorry, but that's how I see it

Last edited:

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No need for PM. This is free advice, take it as you wish.

Steve

Thanks Steve for the terrific advice. I will definitely consider it as I move along.

Rich

Absolutely, Bionic, a great example of what Rich could do with some elbow grease and a bit of $$. And, I'd imagine your bud Albert had to spend some time and at least some $$ putting this together.

Steve

Hi Bionic and Steve,

Thanks for sharing with me your views. Building a directory was one of the first ideas I looked at because it is such a natural. The problem is that I really couldn't find any good examples of directories that were really building a steady stream of return traffic. If I am going to invest in any site, I would like to see that traffic steadily building, so it has to have some value and some stickiness. While it is very difficult to come up with this idea, I keep on trying out different ideas building up some experience on what is required.

And I agree with you Steve. I think you are on point when you focus in on the back office administration efforts that a high volume site requires. This is one of the reasons I stay away from social networking which does require a lot of administration support.

Thanks again. I am absorbing everything and appreciate all the advice. I hoping that it will lead to something.

Rich

a natural keyword

a little SEO and content

you're top of page one for 'links'

then you can move it to a major net company

or partner with a major seo firm

do some content for sub domains

lawyer.links.com
doctor.links.com
finance.links.com
google.links.com
seo.links.com

Hi adonivideo,

Yes, I have found that I can get excellent SERP with any links in the domain name. I was doing very well with TV links and still doing well with game links, video links etc. But good SERP does not give me growing traffic. For that I need some content. So far, everything goes no where.

Also, I have tried partnering up, but partners want to extract to much for what they are offering. Anyway, my experiences with partnering has not been good. Every partner believes that they deserve everything. It is the nature of partnering.

Appreciate the advice.

Rich

You think links.com is a better name than Villas.com? IMO, Villas.com is VASTLY superior.

Personally, I'd be happy with $120-$160k for links.com, in today's climate. I might even be tempted by an offer lower than this.

- Rob

Thanks Rob. Appreciate your appraisal.

Rich

anyway, links.com is a 'nice' keyword, but I doubt it will ever sell for more than 100K

Hi there,

Very much appreciate your analysis. I thought, for your own knowledgebase, you might want to be aware that I have been offered much more than 100k for the name. This was before the latest downturn, and as you are probably aware from my prior posts, I am not actively selling nor seeking a buyer. However, I am a business person myself, and I can assure you that I can get quite a bit more than 100K, even in this market. Not sure why, other than people may feel that marketing a name like links is much easier than other names, in terms of impression, name retention, etc. Just call it marketing dollars saved. But this is just a guess.

Thanks again for your analysis.

Rich

Lastly, to deem "Links.com" as a domain that's not worth seven figures shows some serious lack of domain valuation expertise. Instead, you seem to be preoccupied with what you'd pay for it, not the majority of end users.

Hi Acro,

Appreciate your taking the time to appraise Links.com.

Since I have had some contacts with buyers, I would say that my experiences more or less support your views. I am by no means myself comfortable in suggesting that links.com is worth xxx,xxx or x,xxx,xxxx or anything else. But it does seem like, based upon offers that I have received, that it is a name that could solicit a good price, if and when I ever decide to sell the site.

But first things first, I need to develop it in some way. So, I definitely appreciate all of the advice and appraisals that you and others have offered.

Thanks again!

Rich

All it takes is creative thinking and execution.

Examples:

Stumble Upon
Delicious
Dmoz
Bored.com
CoolHomepages.com

All sites with nothing but a bunch of links.

Hi meganerd,

Yes, this is more or less along the lines that I am currently working. I had some major development going, only to find out that another organization had delivered the idea in a way that was much better than I could ever hope. They are not in Alexa 10,000 but they have lots of development support. Nothing that I can match.

I was as high as 60,000 on Alexa for TV links, but it stopped dead there, so I decided to go for another idea. But, I am now working on something similar to what you propose. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks much for your insights.

Rich

Plus Fly is a short cute word, and the buyer decided that $1.8 million was a good deal relative to alternatives.

Links is a very good proxy for search or internet. Sure search.com or internet.com may be better, good luck buying those two names.

Hi there ok10,

This is pretty much along the lines that I was thinking. I know that Microsoft is spending over $100 million marketing Bing.com (which I think is a very nice name for MS - it is catchy and cute). So, if someone feels that links.com can save them several hundreds of thousands of dollars in marketing/advertising costs (and this would be a gut feel by the end-user), then I think the value of the domain name would go up. As you suggest, it would be best placed if the domain name was married to the subject matter domain.

Thanks for the assistance. Appreciate it.

Rich

I wonder what the high offer on it was? It probably happened pre 2000

Hi there adonivideo,

I have had much higher offers that were pretty recent. I have never negotiated since I am not interested in selling. However, partnership opportunities do arise now and then, and it is valuable information to know approximate what the domain might we valued at.

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate the domain.

Rich

Hi adonivideo,

I very much appreciate the time and effort that you are putting into the evaluation. You obviously have lots of experience in the industry and I am sure you have done great work for your clients.

I realize that appraising domains is much more of an art than a science. In this regard, I can assure you that your comments are not aligned with my recent experiences and that links.com is worth substantially more than your own model is suggesting at this time. While I understand your model, I think it may require some additional dimensions to it, for domain names such as links.com.

I hope this helps you. Appreciate you assistance.

Rich

Last edited:

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another option is selling link spots on other sites. You can get an AdBrite clone script.

According to Estibot links.com has 940 uniques a day. What is that traffic looking for? Links to their own site I imagine.

Advertising is big industry, many sites in Alexa top 1000.

There goes Adonivideo "only valid appraisal". :)

Big P

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the 'point' is, acquire and sell domains above your cost, make money

now, links.com is an 'asset' sitting in someones portfolio for over a decade

the time to sell it was in the late 90's

now who wants it?

an end user is the 'ideal' buyer, the problem is, there is no clear cut 'industry' for it

sure, the whole net revolves around 'links' per se, but so does everyone use electricity and an isp and a cpu and a hard drive, etc

so, generic term, is 'nice' but the money is in keywords for an 'industry' that people pay big bucks at ppc giants for

the money those companies 'pay' to control SEM ads justifies owning a keyword domain, example

I have a ton of clients that buy

geo (where I work) and keyword

the geo can be one of around 6 or so terms

the state, the area of the state and the major markets in that area

the keywords are relative to that persons business

auto repair
doctors
lawyers
hair salon
tires
brakes
rims
wheels
pawnshop
nightclub

whatever

these business owners are all bidding against other owners of similar business to get high sponsor position in serps

they pay guys like me to do custom SEO work so they get organic serp position

you know what the first thing I advise them to do? acquire the geo keywords that aren't registered and try to buy the ones wholesalers own that are reasonable

so all day long I'm buying and registering domains for owners who have businesses that need them, so they can control serps in google and yahoo

now, two of the most expensive IT guys in corporate america today do what I do, the SEO guy and the SEM guy

either one can pull the trigger and buy a domain for 1M+ if he can justify it via ROI

now, who in corporate america wants to own links.com?

no one, that's why no one is buying 'links' as a keyword

this is an appraisal and discussion thread isn't it?

I put one of the lowest appraisals on the name and look, WOW, a bunch of domain speculators are now trying to shoot it down

fine, I deal with theis stuff all day for a living, just like I deal with SEO and link buys and editorial pushes and email campaigns, you name it as far as internet marketing goes, I'm involved in it for clients

now, when a client I have is dishing out several dollars per click for geo keywords, eventually the conversation gets around to it's time to invest into some geo keywords you're buying clicks on

then the client sees the value of it

they see keywords I own and how I get page one easily just via owning the keyword

so they BUY what I suggest and register any open keywords in the TLD's I tell them they need

.com/.net/.us/.org./.info usually

I explain, look, the algorithm of the SE's have a pecking order, like youtube has for content too

a certain tld is automatically NUMBER ONE, and 99.9% of the time that tld has no interest in that keyword

anyone want to guess what TLD has instant number one position if they have a site?

next up, believe it or not

.ORG

so all the 'domain experts' are chasing .com and the reality is for SEO the .org is supposed to pop over the .com

you guys do know that right?

.info was also supposed to do that, but that's open for debate, it may not now be relevant

then .com then .us or .net

now there's other factors controlling serps, but the main one is keyword relevancy to the url and the root domain name

so let's see

links.com

links.org will rank over it so is the .org worth more?

another TLD will rank over both of them

but the owner of that TLD has no interest in 'links'

it's a keyword, some minor content and it pops in serps

so what, NO ONE BUYS 'links' as a keyword PPC buy

why not? everyone uses links

but no one has a business model that makes money via links searches, for the word 'links'

just like if you owned 'air'

wow 6 billion people use it every minute

and except for 'nike' there's virtually no commercial use for it

same with 'links' a great domain, a keyword, yet, no practical revenue model for it

that means little value

while other keywords for an industry may fetch 5M even 10M (has one hit that high yet?)

and many could hit 1M to 3M, the monetary value of 'links' .com is not in that league

Heck, I hope it sells tomorrow for 10M+

I like to see everyone make money

But, let's deal in 'reality'

I'm not a domain name speculator per se

Sure I own thousands of domains

I own a ton of geo + keywords

I bought and sold a ton of domains over the years

Anyway, I gave an appraisal and others want to shoot it down, great, that's the point I guess of an appraisal 'discussion', and it's been pretty civil, so that's cool

maybe a few people 'learned' something from my posts, maybe some thing I don't know jack

the ones who search know I know what I do

I look at links.com like a beautiful woman, sure looks good, but hows the 'action' if you know what I mean

hehehe

I don't see any 'action' by owning it, my advise, dump it ASAP and reinvest the nice check you will get into some more relevant domains for 'businesses' that BUY the keywords you could acquire if the owner sold this beauty that doesn't put out

You want to score right?

So why waste time with 'looker' who don't give you 'action' if you know what I mean

All the years owning this domain and probably rejecting some nice 'offers' years ago, and what?

You still own it and you could have turned that 'offer' how many times by now?

So if the 'point' is, buy and sell domains, holding on to a 'nice' looking keyword and waiting for that 'score' is well... a waste of an asset

It needs to be sold and the money put into domains that people pump big bucks into PPC for

That's why I put a lower than everyone else value on it

And now that I'm thinking about it, I was too high, there's no major market for it

Is the word getting 100K 'offers'

I doubt it

Has it ever gotten one offer over 100K? I doubt it, if it did, it's probably over 10 years ago

So why own it? Sell it, I noticed someone said something about 'golf' and 'links'

That's probably one of the few applications that could generate revenue, a golf portal

A links portal?

No one lining up to pay for 'links' in search engines, so why would advertisers pay for any traffic to it

Now you create 'golf content' then maybe you can dump it to a golf company or course or developer

Even then, it's not a 100K to them

So, it's a 'beautiful' keyword, like a beautiful woman who will NEVER give you any action, what's the 'point'

Now if say 'Nike' was coming out with a new golfing line of clothes named 'links'

Or some other sports clothes manufacturer, fine, they may want to acquire it

But google and yahoo or other PPC sites will never make an offer on it

It's a low traffic keyword, that sure looks attractive as heck, but in reality, there's no major end use for it

Sorry, but that's how I see it

Mike??

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice to see the owner responding to all the talk on his domain

I think you said you had 'recent' offers over 100K

One of my cars a 740il is sitting on a clients lot with X dollars on the window, a low price for the wheels

So far he's had like 6 people test ride it and say I'll be back with X dollars, so far the offers are hot air, same here, until it's sold, offers are nothing.

When it sells, if you ever do, then we'll see what the market bears.

Yes, it's a 'brandable' name, so some company may come along with a nice check to grab a 'brandable' name, but, right now there's no revenue model that make sense for it, people do not pay much if anything for 'links'

Now, if you're Drudge and you want to 'sell a text link' from a top 1K Alexa site, you can get some money from a 'link' per se, but meaningful links are usually directs to sites within content and people don't usually pay much for a 'link' unless you have mega content and can sell the 'link' due to volume to a content site dishing out direct links within content or 'editorial pushes'.

You don't have significant content nor traffic, so, you're not an 'ad link' business model, even though any name can be used to eventually sell 'ad links', as long as you have the eyeballs (traffic), you can sell text links

But to say a 'link directory' or a 'link farm' is generating any major bucks is laughable, they don't' make money, not anything 'significant'

In the end, domain names are just domain names, don't get attached to them, see them as what they are, a keyword is a money asset, sell it for as much as you can, and if you like the business of domains, reinvest and churn the new assets.

If you have people throwing around figures over 100K, great, say, SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Take it and reinvest into names that involve major industries where businesses pay big bucks for those keywords at google, yahoo and now bing.

If you could have had 250K 10 years ago, how much could you have turned that into by now, by buying up keywords businesses actually pay 10+ bucks PER CLICK in ppc?

It would be 2M to 5M+ by now

Don't get attached to these things (domains), sell for as much as you can get, then, churn the money into domains that are key words that businesses pay large money for in PPC.

Owning ppc keywords justifies the big buys via ROI.

There's no one buying in ppc 'links', so it has little value in ROI, so like you said, maybe some company wants a 'cute' name.

Cute names are hard to sell, keywords with buyers lining up at the PPC window are easy to sell.

When the name sells, it should be a public buy, so we can all see how much the market thought of links.com

Good luck, my final two cents, sell ASAP and reinvest in ppc keywords that businesses pay 5+ bucks a click for, there's a ton of them you can invest in cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators