Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been a DNF member for nearly a year and this thread shows that this forum is getting worse and worse day after day.
With every new TLD there are endless wars rather than sharing opinions as adults.
I`m starting to think that this community is getting out of control, some manners were better respected when there were more mods.
I`m really dissapointed lately with the quality of the DNF threads.

DaveZilla

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whether the HYPE is warrented or not, its there! The sales are there. If you call yourself an "experienced domainer" and you didn't buy a single .mobi and youre on dnforum to buy/sell/flip whatever domains, you already lost out.

Sorry to laugh, but if you're an "experienced domainer" and you didn't try to reg any single word high traffic/PPC keyword domains, then you are not much of a domainer. If you had a time machine, you would be a .mobi investor right now. Regardless if its sustainable, the aftermarket sales are there.

An entrepreneur takes risks and some of you here are telling people not to take risks.

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whether the HYPE is warrented or not, its there! The sales are there. If you call yourself an "experienced domainer" and you didn't buy a single .mobi and youre on dnforum to buy/sell/flip whatever domains, you already lost out.

Sorry to laugh, but if you're an "experienced domainer" and you didn't try to reg any single word high traffic/PPC keyword domains, then you are not much of a domainer. If you had a time machine, you would be a .mobi investor right now. Regardless if its sustainable, the aftermarket sales are there.

I do not agree - until the aftermarket sales become consistant end user sales rather than internal domainer sales it is pure speculation with most of it based on hype (pump n dump).

Personally I feel for the guys who come fresh to domaining and every year or so they are sold a dream in newly created extentions - the latest being .eu and .mobi both of which have (IMHO) fundamental issues that will prevent them from becoming widespread.

No extension will ever be a total failure as there will always be someone somewhere willing to buy it but to me there is a certain hierarchy to domains and the manner people are 'marketing' .mobi to the less experianced just does not seem right to me.

Domaining is a business however there is ways to go about it :)

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Entrepreneurs I know who make good money take calculated risks.

I do not think people following a herd mentality is entrepreneurship. The .mobi entrepreneurs bought names early, have sold off during this frenzy and are holding some for the future. A calculated 'free' gamble and a no brainer as with any new extension there is hype (just not as much as .mobi!) and therefore opportunities.

Those registering supermobilevideos.mobi style names and having them appraised at $xxx-$xxxx are being mislead and there is still hype ongoing.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Being a business owner, that actually does promote on MOBILE web, we opted for the wwm.domain.com instead of domain.mobi

I applaud anyone who buys low and sells high, but at the risk of offending, I see no long term profit in .mobi names by comparison to the coveted .TLDs

.mobi is one for the newcomers and startups, companies spend MILLIONS each year branding their domain name and with a few lines of code and some good javascript and CSS skills; a company can automatically serve mobile compliant webpages by detecting the browser.

In order for this to go mainstream, you will need some serious marketing to imprint the brain to associate .mobi with the internet. 95% of internet users are not domainers and therefore lack the insight to grasp what the .mobi is all about.

The over inflated prices for zero revenue, zero traffic domain names takes me back to the late 90s when companies where valuing themselves in the millions yet had no assets, nor even turned a profit.

More Extension will only profit The Registrars, The Lawyers and the Arbitration Forums.

However, I do believe that it has the potential to increase the value of the .com as these startups get into the market with the .mobi and make their domain successfull it is more than likely they will go after the .com whether it be citing by means of reverse domain hijacking or via an offer.

So I am all for the .mobi worshippers, you take the crumbs and I will take the whole cake :)

Will .mobi maintain its interest, most likely not, well, not unless a frontal labotamy is performed on the internet population as a whole.

As for the remarks on "Taking Risks" knowing what you know now and taking a risk investing on a ship called Poseidon or Titanic might make you a RISK TAKER, it doesnt mean you are a savvy investor.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Will .mobi maintain its interest, most likely not, well, not unless a frontal labotamy is performed on the internet population as a whole.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they continue to market them in different ways and keep em in the spotlight.... like i dunno... a sedo auction with 58 domains...

by the way... if you think ANYONE putting ANY money into ANYTHING internet related back in the early 90's were considered 'Savy Investors' you got another thing coming...

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

An entrepreneur takes risks and some of you here are telling people not to take risks.

you sound like the pizza guy and the old lady in 2000 after they bought pets.com stock because it was on CNCB and thought they are stockmarket geniuses all of a sudden...
.. they were at the right time at the right place and bought into something without a whole lot of knowledge or fear..and sometimes that works out if you sell in time and dont get too greedy (and thats tricky sometimes) you can make good money..so congrats to those that made some great sales, but it doesnt mean in any way .mobi is a success just yet... interstingly enough the most valuable thing after the pets.com fiasko was the domain name...

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this thread will provide some more enlightment as to why some of our .mobi "investors" are trying so so so hard to hype and lure in even more people into this

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=201701

Please don't tar respected domainers on this forum who invest in the .mobi extension (along with other tlds) with the 'cooldomain ' brush! LOL
Pred ;)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pred - I don't recall talking about you explicitly... this thread was started by cooldomain... and since many "seasoned .mobi investors" came to add their value I thought I'd let them know the full story...
LOL I was jokin' ;)
I'm enjoying you digging him out actually . He needs it. Sorry to say cooldomain but not sure what your game is ?
cheers
Pred

netfounder

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cheer
I got two domains ,mltd..mobi

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they continue to market them in different ways and keep em in the spotlight.... like i dunno... a sedo auction with 58 domains...

by the way... if you think ANYONE putting ANY money into ANYTHING internet related back in the early 90's were considered 'Savy Investors' you got another thing coming...

ah another case of people misquoting, no one said they were savvy investors

But you just argued my Point "Sedo Auctions" Target Market = Domainers.

DaveZilla

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Being a business owner, that actually does promote on MOBILE web, we opted for the wwm.domain.com instead of domain.mobi

Not even the big named .mobi backers are betting it all on .mobi. You're wise to get the .com for your mobile web company, but instead of the .mobi when you can pick it up for reg fee?

I see no sense in that unless you're planning on going to court later when someone picks up your TM .mobi domain.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not even the big named .mobi backers are betting it all on .mobi. You're wise to get the .com for your mobile web company, but instead of the .mobi when you can pick it up for reg fee?

I see no sense in that unless you're planning on going to court later when someone picks up your TM .mobi domain.

that's very interesting route to investing which is 100% aligned with what cooldomain is doing...

find a .com with traffic, register the .mobi then ask them to buy at 40% discount compared to them serving you with UDRP/WIPO

the .mobi investor economics...wow and again wow

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ah another case of people misquoting, no one said they were savvy investors

But you just argued my Point "Sedo Auctions" Target Market = Domainers.

alright, misquoted--sorry..

and of course sedo's target market is domainers... there is no centralized mainstream venue that everyone knows to go get a domain at yet.... like the 'wal-mart' of the domain world?

however - i do recall talking amongst a few people in the late 90's and laughing at the idea of having walmart sell domains kind of like you can create-a-card on those little touchscreen kiosks... yep, when walmart becomes a domain registrar watch out...

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Well, as we agressively protect our Trademarks, I would not bother with the Standard UDRP, but proceed under the The Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and seek the maximum statutory damages of $100,000.

If the domain name owner, offers at any time to sell or transfer the domain name for value, most courts will find that the owner has acted in bad faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom