• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale My First Post - and Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainatrix

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
120
Reaction score
4
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I look forward to participating in some great discussions about .CA's, especially as my new job is in the area of consulting with clients about web branding and site dev.

So here's my first question; looking for some experienced people to provide some feedback. Thanks in advance!

I noticed that today, computer.com sold for $2.2 million and investment.com for $900K. All of my clients are in Canada, and I was wondering if there are any opinions about what the relative .CA domains would be worth. Below are the top 6 sales for .COMs this year and I'd love to know what you think the .CA would be worth?

Porn.com $9.5 MM >> Porn.ca??
Seniors.com $1.8 MM >> Seniors.ca??
Scores.com $1.5 MM >> Scores.ca??
Chinese.com $1.5 MM >> Chinese.ca??
Investment.com $900K >> Investment.ca??
Dollars.com $650K >> Dollars.ca??

I know there's no magic formula, but I'm looking to develop a relative scale based on input from various sources. Any honest opinions are appreciated

Thanks,
Jen
 
Hey Jen,

Welcome to DNF :D This has been asked a lot of times. I know when I first started out I was told roughly 10% of the .com value. But there really is no certain way to asses the value. I will say that the .ca market is definitely on a rise from my perspective.

All the best,

Jay
 
Hi Jen

there is no magic formula but more of a gut feeling, if you look at canadian print and television advertising companies, they are choosing longer more identifiable phrases for thier brands mostly two-three word. So although Books.CA would be a top quality name in the mid xx,xxx range it remains parked with popunders/overs, It should be valued at $xxx,xxx
according to the 10% rule

the big players have been suppressing the .CA market by not releasing the $xx.xxx and $xxx.xxx sales - I figure they have more shopping to do first befor the comming out party

So untill the CA market becomes the wild wild west for END USERS and not SPECULATORS expect 2%-5% of the .COM
 
I generally run on 10% of the .com because that is the rough ratio of population in the US VS Canada.

And if I don't like think the price is high enough I use my dart board :lol:
 
The 10% is a good starting point, but as Ian noted - many large value .ca sales are never reported. Of those that have responded on this thread I bet all have at least one .ca sale they didn't report for whatever reason including non-disclosure agreements.

And because you are looking for branding companies .ca is a great way to go. Canadians know and trust .ca domains. That of course doesn't mean scammers can't set up shop on one, but that's the perception anyways.

There have been some recent moves in the .ca world that leads at least me to believe that the values are really about to take off, and we can see some of that in .ca tbr (expired .ca domains that are released by CIRA and snapped up by domain holders in either pre or post auctions for the domain names). As well, the rate at which .ca domain names are being purchased/held according to CIRA is also on a steep rise.
 
10% would be the right way to go.. at least for now
 
The value of .ca will not pass .com (or maybe .tv) domain revenue due to country restriction. I can't even register .ca because I don't have a business address in canada.

So limitation is an issue here. It's funny, the Internet is bound no boundaries.

IMHO.
 
You should also be looking at DNJournal as they report a lot of sales there for all extensions and maintain historical info.
 
Hi Jen, I'd like to welcome you to the Forum! :)

If there is one place to learn about .ca's, this is it! ..... I can honestly say that most members who contribute to this section are extremely knowledgeable as well as first class, they helped me when I needed it, and that I will never forget.

Happy domaining and the best of luck to you!

RG
 
I know there's no magic formula, but I'm looking to develop a relative scale based on input from various sources. Any honest opinions are appreciated
If you do come up with a magic formula ... you will let us know... right?

Keep in mind that for things like porn the extension probably SHOULDN'T make so much difference. I don't think that most porn seekers care whether it's Canadian content or not. The .com will get a lot more type-ins though.

For retail branding purposes (buy Canadian) your magic formula might need some adjustment.

Nah! No magic formula.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom