Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld MyId Auctions - Anyone here sold a name there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotsofcoffee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have also observed personally that myid is working very hard to be very
professional. I like all the docs that have to be signed. It makes me feel that I am dealing with a company that pays attention to detail. We don't need some nutjob
bidding on our domains. Even a 500 dollar one. As you all know, there are quite a few "angry" people out there emailing us and telling us that we have no right to own "x" domain.

Agree 100%. Dealing with Sedo has been nothing short of frustrating with poor customer service and non-paying bidders. Taking a tough line against these issues is a welcome change.

I have been very impressed with the very nice quality of generic domains on the auctions.

Anyway, for all those interested, here is the list for this week.

[URL="http://auction.myid.ca/?ac=ap"][URL]http://auction.myid.ca/?ac=ap[/URL][/URL]

With less than 2 days left, already a number have hit their reserves:
AutoFinancing.ca - $2501
SleepWalking.ca - $2501
Paris.ca - $2501 (surprised that this exists, as there is a Paris, Ontario and geo names are generally only issued to municipalities)
FinancialJob.ca - $1751 (job domains are doing really well in the MyID auctions)
LimousineMontreal.ca - $501
MontrealDentists.ca - $2501
GraphicDesignJobs.ca - $1751

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My history started with them back in early 2000's when they first launched here in the forums. And had no problems either till this happened.

Yep and their side of it is remarkably ABSENT. But theft is not a casual problem. It isn't like a database problem or a billing problem or a simple mistake. It's criminal.

Something is only slanderous if it's not true. And I can back up everything I say. I'm not that stupid to put myself in a position of being sued for slander.

I agree it's negative energy. But sometimes you have to stand up for something.

I mean honestly if someone is calling you a thief publicly and you take NO STEPS TO RESOLVE IT.????

What hope do any of you have they'll resolve something for you if things go sideways:?::?::?::?:

Obviously this sounds to me like you don't want to simply drop it and move on. Since I've been on decent terms with both with you and myid over the years - I don't mind trying to mediate this issue.

I will ask Gus to post in detail whatever his side of this story is. I'm interested to see what he has to say. If he ignores me, then I will certainly be suspicious as well.

And to clarify, my understanding is that your claim is that they were "stealing parking revenues" from you. Now of course the first thing that comes to _my_ mind is that DNS servers were mis-configured. Registrar's have all defaulted to their own dns servers at one time or another, and although that tactic seems a little sneaky, ultimately you are in control of your own domain and can change that any time. I've never been a big fan of that tactic, but, it has been fairly common to see all registrars doing that at some time or another, and I accepted that as "business". I'm assuming though that your complaint has more to it than just that. So please explain in detail how they were stealing your parking revenues, what time frame this occurred over, etc... If a crime was committed, we all want to know the details.

And if other people have said they have had problems with MyID - please contact them and have them post it here. We would all like to know the details straight from the horses mouth rather than second hand. That is the point where I thought it was sounding slanderous.

I'm hoping we can resolve this once and for all. Most people are seeing the MyID auctions as a good thing, so if there is a serious problem we should be concerned about, we would like to know all the details from both sides.

Rob

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Obviously this sounds to me like you don't want to simply drop it and move on. Since I've been on decent terms with both with you and myid over the years - I don't mind trying to mediate this issue.

I will ask Gus to post in detail whatever his side of this story is. I'm interested to see what he has to say. If he ignores me, then I will certainly be suspicious as well.

And to clarify, my understanding is that your claim is that they were "stealing parking revenues" from you. Now of course the first thing that comes to _my_ mind is that DNS servers were mis-configured. Registrar's have all defaulted to their own dns servers at one time or another, and although that tactic seems a little sneaky, ultimately you are in control of your own domain and can change that any time. I've never been a big fan of that tactic, but, it has been fairly common to see all registrars doing that at some time or another, and I accepted that as "business". I'm assuming though that your complaint has more to it than just that. So please explain in detail how they were stealing your parking revenues, what time frame this occurred over, etc... If a crime was committed, we all want to know the details.

And if other people have said they have had problems with MyID - please contact them and have them post it here. We would all like to know the details straight from the horses mouth rather than second hand. That is the point where I thought it was sounding slanderous.

I'm hoping we can resolve this once and for all. Most people are seeing the MyID auctions as a good thing, so if there is a serious problem we should be concerned about, we would like to know all the details from both sides.

Rob

I appreciate the offer Rob. You've always been a standup guy in my experience.

But the same thing was offered to me, behind the scenes, back in May. I gave them a reasonable period of time to get back to me but that passed and the silence is deafening. That person is on this thread and if he wishes can confirm what I've said as I won't out him publicly when he was making an unselfish effort.

And it wasn't just one domain it was EVERY SINGLE DOMAIN in my account. I think around the 80-100 mark. For a period of about 7 months. And I have their acknowledgement that they did it. (after several evasive emails where they tried to talk around it)

Now to a certain extent I blame myself too as I should have been watching nameserver changes etc just in case something ever got hijacked. But I wasn't and didn't catch it until I was reviewing the domains in Feb and wondered what happened to a domain that produced a good $2-$3/day in rev was showing absolutely nothing for rev for months.

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just signed up for the next auction - They have a great concept that we should all embrace, even promote where / when possible.

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes, the results so far look very promising for the CA space.

Rob

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So Gordon, I've got a couple questions,

1. Just out of curiosity, when was this going on? I know technically it shouldn't matter when, but I'm just curious if this was a "bad judgment" thing they did 5+ years ago when parking was just becoming popular and a lot of registrars did the same kind of things, or was this recent?

2. It sounds as if you are saying they actually changed nameservers from yours to theirs? Did they do this to everyone or just you? I consolidate all my domains at Baremetal, so I never had this kind of problem with MyID. And you're sure this was not the result of a "default nameserver" setting which got applied when the domains were registered or transferred in to MyID??

USEFUL .CA INFO FOR .CA OWNERS: Can a registrar change your nameservers without your permission?? YES, they can if you granted them permission to do that. Its an option you check off or on when you confirm your CIRA account. I think at one point my accounts were set to allow that. If anyone has that problem or even suspects it might be an issue, they can simply create a fresh new CIRA registrant, then merge all of their domain names into the new CIRA account. Or they can ask their registrar to turn off the option. I would personally never allow the registrar (no matter how much I trust them) to have that control. You can see this by logging into your CIRA account and looking for "Change without approval Registrar: None" I would suggest everyone take a quick look. It seems kinda suspicious that this is even an option that CIRA allows, but, I can see it would make a registrar's life a lot easier when dealing with the general public and their domains....

I am hoping we hear something here from MyID as well as others who have issues with MyID.

Thanks,
Rob

I appreciate the offer Rob. You've always been a standup guy in my experience.

But the same thing was offered to me, behind the scenes, back in May. I gave them a reasonable period of time to get back to me but that passed and the silence is deafening. That person is on this thread and if he wishes can confirm what I've said as I won't out him publicly when he was making an unselfish effort.

And it wasn't just one domain it was EVERY SINGLE DOMAIN in my account. I think around the 80-100 mark. For a period of about 7 months. And I have their acknowledgement that they did it. (after several evasive emails where they tried to talk around it)

Now to a certain extent I blame myself too as I should have been watching nameserver changes etc just in case something ever got hijacked. But I wasn't and didn't catch it until I was reviewing the domains in Feb and wondered what happened to a domain that produced a good $2-$3/day in rev was showing absolutely nothing for rev for months.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So Gordon, I've got a couple questions,

1. Just out of curiosity, when was this going on? I know technically it shouldn't matter when, but I'm just curious if this was a "bad judgment" thing they did 5+ years ago when parking was just becoming popular and a lot of registrars did the same kind of things, or was this recent?

This happened around beginning of july 05 and continued till feb 06 approx.
2. It sounds as if you are saying they actually changed nameservers from yours to theirs?

Exactly. Now serving up their PPC ads.
Did they do this to everyone or just you?

I can't answer for all their customers but I have email behind the scenes that says it happened to them too.
I consolidate all my domains at Baremetal, so I never had this kind of problem with MyID. And you're sure this was not the result of a "default nameserver" setting which got applied when the domains were registered or transferred in to MyID??

These were all domains gained by myid over the years in the tbr as well as I used to do some direct regs with them. And there is NO AUTHORIZATION on file with CIRA for them to make any changes

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These were all domains gained by myid over the years in the tbr as well as I used to do some direct regs with them. And there is NO AUTHORIZATION on file with CIRA for them to make any changes

Thanks for your answers Gordon. From a technical standpoint, I'm not sure how they could have changed your nameservers if they were not the technical contacts or they did not have the CIRA authorization for registrars to make updates to your names. Not that it matters in this case, but you should check to be absolutely be sure you do not have that authorization set in your CIRA account. Otherwise, I do not understand from a technical standpoint how they could have changed your nameservers. That authorization thing is a pretty sneaky thing that most people never realize the implications of, and its not a setting you ever see at the registrar level, only in your CIRA account. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but I'd double check that to avoid future problems.

Regarding this whole MyID.ca issue with regards to Gordon's accusations, Gus from MyID contacted me and explained why he cannot at this time or in this forum respond to Gordon's accusations. I personally accept his reasons for not having responded yet as being very legitimate, and I suspect that we will hear their side of the story in due time.

As for now, I personally have no reservations with participating in their auctions.

Rob

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just signed up for the next auction - They have a great concept that we should all embrace, even promote where / when possible.

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes, the results so far look very promising for the CA space.

Rob

Just signed up myself after procrastinating and waiting to see how they did - and thus far they really are doing a bang-up job for both sellers and buyers alike. Let's hope it continues this way. :eek:k:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whitebark

there is a 10% late charge for procrastinating

~

:lol: good one!

Sedo it's not - which is a good thing.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers Gordon. From a technical standpoint, I'm not sure how they could have changed your nameservers if they were not the technical contacts or they did not have the CIRA authorization for registrars to make updates to your names.
Rob

Registrars have the power.

Sibername has CWA on rants they created for me while winning domains in their TBR.

I let a domain drop this year and it never went to TBR, it went into their name.

I'm not sure they still do this, but they used to use their email account when setting up a new rant durring a TBR win, they had enough time to retrieve my cira passwords on those accounts before I went through the request process to have my email instead of theirs.

Another time (last month) I sold a dot ca for 1500 and webnames somehow approved the final step of rant transfer. I logged into cira with no process waiting, I wondered and checked the whois, low and behold the name was transferred without my approval. (I didnt freak cuz I was approving it anyhow)

All that said, registrars can do alot more than you think. There are only two I completely trust.
Baremetal and namespro. The rest I will use for my own means and not for holding. I also keep aa very close eye on my main rants.

I havent dealt alot with myid, but from my little experience they seem fine.

Kevin

mis_chiff

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the verification process.

My c/c company has instructed me that the copying
of the back of the c/c is a security breach of the
agreement that I have with them, and I am at
risk if there is any repercussions from it.
They stated that the 3 digit security code on the back,
is for my eyes only and NOT to be copied and sent to anyone.

Anybody else getting feedback from the c/c companies?

This is why I have been putting this off for so long,
I feel very uncomfortable doing this.
I've never been asked to provide this info
None of the other companies require it...why myid.ca?

c/c companies state you should keep that number secure.

Anyone else having same issues, please help?

damion

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to say, credit card details aren't meant to be send out via fax or email.
Besides that, anyone that thinks it's a good security measure is pretty naive in my book.

Talk about a false sense of security...

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I cropped out my 3 digit security code on the credit card picture and I also cropped out my drivers license number on that picture.

If you think about it, whatever store you use your credit card at, they can easily see that 3 digit security number when they look at your signature. They also have your number, so what kind of security is that.

I wouldn't be too concerned about sending a photo to MyID.ca, it's probably a lot safer than using your card at your local pizza joint.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a credit card for online use only. It has a small credit limit so if someone pilfers it - they won't get far.

I've had to replace it twice since 2003 after seeing charges to it I never made. Clearly someone broke into the server holding the records of the companies I shopped with...

Protect yourself - nobody else will!

mis_chiff

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Roy, I don't have that option atm,
but it is a great idea.

I just contacted my c/c again, it's a mastercard
they told me, if I give out that code, and
transactions are done (without my knowledge)
using that code that I gave out, then I am liable.

onlinestoreca, even blacking them out, you were accepted?

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I check from time to time if there are confirmed big dollar sales at myid. Did I miss the proof that the bunch of higher than normal bid domains were in fact authentic ?

I did see confirmation of lower priced domains, but am interested in the others because they seemed a little outrageous imo.

Kevin

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good to know about the three digit code thing. I will keep that to myself and use it only for the final authorization. However, if you notice, anyone that asks for it, already has it...so in theory, any store can abuse your card more than once. I agree with the comment that the guys at myid will not abuse anything. They have worked hard to put together an auction that seems to be running smoothly every week. I was paid within a week.

mis_chiff

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the guys
at myid do a bang up job!
I've only heard good things,
that's why I want to list some domains
there.

I just don't understand why they want/need
that 3 digit code. It's not a common request.
Is there not another way to do it?
What if I didn't have a c/c?

I don't understand what you mean by
"When someone asks for it, they already have it"

No one should have that code but you.

Maybe it's different in Canada.... I'm confused! :sigh2:

lotsofcoffee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I check from time to time if there are confirmed big dollar sales at myid. Did I miss the proof that the bunch of higher than normal bid domains were in fact authentic ?

I did see confirmation of lower priced domains, but am interested in the others because they seemed a little outrageous imo.

Kevin

You can just check out the latest DNJ weekly sales under the country codes section:
http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom