Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed NAMES.WS - Your Input Please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting theory about us having been intellectually "inbred"! Personally, I always thought this type of forum fosters a variety of opinions and themes. Another observatioin of mine is that, unlike the resistance waves associated with change in dominant philosophical paradigms, speculators will follow trends (such as the one of unsolicited offers you mention) readily.

Thus, if there is a slight change in notion regarding .biz, .WS, or .cn our community will embrace the new valuiation immediately according to this theory.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TrafficMonsterRRR said:
if there is a slight change in notion regarding .biz, .WS, or .cn our community will embrace the new valuiation immediately according to this theory.

Well I didn't place a new valuation on .biz immediately. Everyone said the first sale or two was "lucky" or, my favorite, an "anomaly". When things start happening 3 or 4 times a week, when do they stop becoming anomalies? :-D

Seems to me that as a whole this community is slow to accept change. I have been making my living almost entirely from new extension sales for the past four months. Yet, there are still plenty of people here who think they are worthless. A lot of people fail to keep their head in the game. The world continues to change rapidly out there.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know what I think ..After having picked up Airlines.ws from you last year I can tell you there is absolutely no other domain I could have gotten in any other extension that would even come close to having the "impact" that the keyword "Airlines" has. (remember what you sold it to me for and you know today how much I am asking for it ! )

And to my suprise (I was as you well know very much against .ws ) have found out that .. no one cares that it is .ws , I dont receive email asking what .ws is , What I do get are serious inquires to whether Airlines.ws is for sale

I receive traffic , high quality traffic because of the keyword "Airlines" ..and that affects my bottom line ..$

Developing Names.Ws as you describe .. Domain.Names.ws , Baby.Names.Ws , offering .Names email address .. it's a natural ; you couldnt get it to fit any better.

But I also agree with Rocket..no rush .. just start building it and see which site becomes the more dominant..which site do you find yourself giving more attention to.

But whatever..I'll be more than happy to give you $35 for it ;)

BID

Airlines.Ws
Airlinetickets.Ws

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
Let's not get into over generalizations here. Something can be learned by all here by sticking to intelligent discussion.

I do not apologize for making so called unintelligent over generalizations if I think they are correct.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Come on guys. I am trying to buy Names.ws (The Names Web Store) for $ 25.

I keep telling him it is a terrible marketing idea.

There is no way that Names.ws - The Names Web Store would ever catch on.

However, once, Duke sells me the name for $ 25.00 :)

I would market it aggressively. And, it could make it worth a lot in a couple years.

But, please don't tell Duke. :wink:

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
I do not apologize for making so called unintelligent over generalizations if I think they are correct.

I think you all might wanna change your minds about the new ext's including .ws. I am in the process of closing a low four figure sale on a .ws. Might be a nice addition to your list Duke!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nicpal said:
I think you all might wanna change your minds about the new ext's including .ws. I am in the process of closing a low four figure sale on a .ws. Might be a nice addition to your list Duke!

By all means let me know when that is completed NicPal! I think the Lyrics.ws sale at 1K is the highest I have previously heard of.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Excellent .ws Duke :)

Mike

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is an idea that occurred to me tonight. Rather than redirect either name to the other and try to brand one site with two names I am thinking I should do two separate sites. BrandsPlus.com is established and has a button downed traditional look that could remain as is. I could make Names.ws into more of what you would expect with an alternate extension - a site specializing in new extensions and country code domains with an edgier look and style. It could have information about what is happening in the alternate extensions and why interest in them is growing. Then I could use each site to cross promote the other. Tell people on Names.ws if they are interested in "their daddy's Oldsmobile" they can go to BrandsPlus. At BP I could send people to Names.ws who are interested in more information on the options. I would list the info/biz/cc's on both sites, but the com net org only on BP. If one day Names.ws caught on I could fold BP into it, or just maintain them as separate complementary sites. What do you think (aside from psychiatric counseling)? :-D

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greta Idea. Could also set up an afternic type auction site for "outside the box" tld's/names for the 3 communities and make some $$$ that way.

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Here is an idea that occurred to me tonight. Rather than redirect either name to the other and try to brand one site with two names I am thinking I should do two separate sites. BrandsPlus.com is established and has a button downed traditional look that could remain as is. I could make Names.ws into more of what you would expect with an alternate extension - a site specializing in new extensions and country code domains with an edgier look and style. It could have information about what is happening in the alternate extensions and why interest in them is growing. Then I could use each site to cross promote the other. Tell people on Names.ws if they are interested in "their daddy's Oldsmobile" they can go to BrandsPlus. At BP I could send people to Names.ws who are interested in more information on the options. I would list the info/biz/cc's on both sites, but the com new org only on BP. If one day Names caught on I could fold BP into it, or just maintain them as separate complementary sites. What do you think (aside from psychiatric counseling)?:-D

I was toying with the same idea awhile back. I was thinking of branding the .ws as "WebSite Solutions" = with something along the line of a tagline of "Why waste you time with a twenty letter .com, when you can have brandable .ws, .biz, .cc ,etc."

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too ALMOST crossed the line going with a top keyword .ws for development.

went against it and am using just a 5 letter brandable .com

- Jordan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sharpy said:
Greta Idea.

Greta had nothing to do with it. I thought of it myself. :)

nicpal said:
I was toying with the same idea awhile back.

OK, so maybe it I didn't think it up entirely on my own. :wink:

NameTower said:
I too ALMOST crossed the line going with a top keyword .ws for development. went against it and am using just a 5 letter brandable .com

OK, I admit it - I ripped the idea off from a couple of other guys - but it's still a good idea! :blush:

A 5-letter .com! Jordan, I thought you were a teenager, why are you acting like an old fuddy duddy with this .com stuff?! :-D

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heh, It's a nice .com

SIMRO.COM

Developing, Promoting and Parking my names at it.

Hope that it can grow big.

I offered like $500 for search.ws to the owner of the .ws registry and he didn't want it.

But I was willing to pay it.

I'm just only getting started on it.

Getting a professional logo done for it, doing some research to properly select keywords and how to properly optimize the names I'm parking there.

DomainSponsor gave me permission to use their search feed.

So it's all the same as parking with them, just promoting my site at the same time.

Got a little off topic there :p

- Jordan

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My problem with the .ws extension for development is that any chance of word of mouth marketing is ruined. While top keyword .ws domains can look good, try saying the name out loud to some of your friends and family. Saying a .ws name out loud makes one realize just how terrible they are. At least something like .tv has been branded and the general public can relate to what "tv" means. Nobody will get what a "ws" is.

Having said all that, i think you could do better than brandsplus.com, but i would not use .ws under any circumstances.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kid, VERY good point.

I never thought about that when using .ws ..

Darren06

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kid Kool said:
My problem with the .ws extension for development is that any chance of word of mouth marketing is ruined. While top keyword .ws domains can look good, try saying the name out loud to some of your friends and family. Saying a .ws name out loud makes one realize just how terrible they are. At least something like .tv has been branded and the general public can relate to what "tv" means. Nobody will get what a "ws" is.

Having said all that, i think you could do better than brandsplus.com, but i would not use .ws under any circumstances.

True, I showed on of my friends an old .ws I had a while ago and he pronounced it like "wis". I dont think .ws will catch on.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kid Kool said:
My problem with the .ws extension for development is that any chance of word of mouth marketing is ruined.

Duke, please listen to Kid Kool. Now, will you sell me the name for $ 25.00? :laugh:

Kid Kool, how often would the domain actually be spoken? Most likely,
It would be found thru a link, banner, domain forwarding or a search.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah but in hopes of major development, we like to think that the domain will be spoken and recognized :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators