Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed NAMES.WS - Your Input Please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Do you mind if I also borrow that idea? I think it is brilliant!!! :-D

Hey, go somewhere else to steal your ideas. I was ripping people off here first. :-D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
how often would the domain actually be spoken? Most likely,
It would be found thru a link, banner, domain forwarding or a search.

Exactly. Having been a former radio-TV guy I used to put a lot of stock in the "radio test". But this is a completely different medium. I try to think how many times I've verbally given people a web address and it is pretty close to zero. And even if you did have to say it repeatedly, if someone can't understand something as plain as names, "w" and "s" then the simpletons surely aren't bright enough to operate a computer in the first place. :-D

The emergence of new extensions as a commercially viable force (which people also told me wasn't going to happen) shows me that trying out some new ideas on the net can work out very well (it has certainly benefitted me tremedously in economic terms in the past year).

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah but in the case of pronouncing .ws it would be something like:

double-u-s

as opposed to:

com

Think about it :)

- Jordan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Have you ever noticed how old people get crankier and crankier? :-D

I didn't say anything about your age or your chronic crankiness. :-D

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Duke, please listen to Kid Kool. Now, will you sell me the name for $ 25.00? :laugh:

Kid Kool, how often would the domain actually be spoken? Most likely,
It would be found thru a link, banner, domain forwarding or a search.

possibly, but word of mouth advertising is a big deal on the internet. Return traffic is likely to go to "names.us" since the two sound similar. If i were to tell someone to go to the site names.ws, they would likely say "what is it again... names.us?

If you are looking to sell domains to end user businesses just now looking to get online, they are not likely to be very savvy and able to recognize something like ".ws". If you're marketing strictly to web savvy "domainers" they would surely get it, but they aren't the ones who will pay end user prices ....

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
yeah but in the case of pronouncing .ws it would be something like:

double-u-s

as opposed to:

com

Think about it :)

Ooohh, that's really difficult! I don't see how I could ever get that out. double-u, s. By God I did it!!! I'm sweating like a blast furnace operator but I did it!

I might also point out that for "Names" the .com was not an option, nor was the .nu, .bz, or anything else on the horizon. If it were available, the price difference would be about a million dollars. I think I would rather struggle trying to pronounce w and s, though for the life of me I don't know how people do it!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kid Kool said:
If i were to tell someone to go to the site names.ws, they would likely say "what is it again... names.us?

In that case, here is a reply you might try, "No, it is names.ws". Works like a charm unless the people you run around with have the IQ of an amoeba. :-D

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hahah

it just doesnt flow as well..

I know you can admit at least that.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
hahah

it just doesnt flow as well..

I know you can admit at least that.

No it certainly doesn't. But million dollar checks don't flow out of my checkbook as easily as $30 ones either. :cheeky:

The bottom line is, I think all of this stuff about how difficult it is to get around the internet because of an extension is nonsense. After we ran out of streets, we starting using avenues, lanes, boulevards, etc and somehow people figured it out. Everyone said info and biz wouldn't work because people wouldn't be able to remember them. Now there are companies and individuals out there buying them and putting them to use with no apparent meltdown of their business.

Things are changing, new opportunities are emerging and people who keep their eyes and minds open are going to do very well. People who continue to doze off and believe only what they have been told, rather than getting out there and seeing for themselves, will be left behind.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say that its all up to you, Duke.

Although it will definitely not be easy, you can turn into a major advantage for you if its done right. Although not crazy about .ws either, I think Names.ws will make you stand out in a very crowded field. The topper is that you have DNJ to help people become aware of it, so you have a much better chance of making it work than most people.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
In that case, here is a reply you might try, "No, it is names.ws". Works like a charm unless the people you run around with have the IQ of an amoeba. :-D

it doesn't work though. if you have to say it 5 times to every person who inquires about your site...personally i'd rather be able to tell someone the name of my site and not have get some blank puzzled look in response.

I have nothing against new extensions for development, but .ws, .bz, and .nu
are just terrible.

Why don't you use something like designernames.com. drops tomorrow.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to grab FeaturedNames.com from Ogre for a measily $20 :)

Best $20 I ever spent.

I can't think of many other better 2 word combo's for a domain portfolio.
- Jordan

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
I was lucky enough to grab FeaturedNames.com from Ogre for a measily $20 :)

Best $20 I ever spent.

I can't think of many other better 2 word combo's for a domain portfolio.
- Jordan

:-D It was a good name, but it was $35 :wink:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainOgre said:
I would say that its all up to you, Duke.

Although it will definitely not be easy, you can turn into a major advantage for you if its done right. Although not crazy about .ws either, I think Names.ws will make you stand out in a very crowded field. The topper is that you have DNJ to help people become aware of it, so you have a much better chance of making it work than most people.

DNJournal.com is a perfect example of what I am talking about. A really crappy name. Looks bad, tough to read, doesn't sound so good either. Made no difference whatsoever. The manner in which ideas are implemented are what makes the difference. How many times has someone written down an address for you to drive to? How difficult was it for you to use the address to get where you were supposed to go? Whether it ended in Road, Circle, or Alley didn't make it any tougher to find.

There is some traffic leakage to .com no matter what alternative you use (especially with .net), but not enough to be fatal (or even injurious in most cases) otherwise there would be nothing but .coms on the net. Not everyone has the intelligence level of a 2-year-old. Going to a website address is not rocket science. Is .ws about the 7th or 8th choice in line? Absolutely. Did I ever think I would consider developing one? Never! But I've seen enough over the past year or two to know the tool isn't as important as what you do with it.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Names Web Site
www.names.ws

For someone venturing into the business I would say no, but
its low risk to further a business, and could pay off. I like
KingDomains.com dropping tonight!

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I like it.

For .ws, its very good.

I hope you do well with it Duke!

- Jordan

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
DNJournal.com is a perfect example of what I am talking about. A really crappy name. Looks bad, tough to read, doesn't sound so good either. Made no difference whatsoever. The manner in which ideas are implemented are what makes the difference. How many times has someone written down an address for you to drive to? How difficult was it for you to use the address to get where you were supposed to go? Whether it ended in Road, Circle, or Alley didn't make it any tougher to find.

There is some traffic leakage to .com no matter what alternative you use (especially with .net), but not enough to be fatal (or even injurious in most cases) otherwise there would be nothing but .coms on the net. Not everyone has the intelligence level of a 2-year-old. Going to a website address is not rocket science. Is .ws about the 7th or 8th choice in line? Absolutely. Did I ever think I would consider developing one? Never! But I've seen enough over the past year or two to know the tool isn't as important as what you do with it.

well, it's worth a shot duke. However, i think in this case traffic leakage would be an issue with names.us. I for one, would love to be the guy who owns names.us once you have started promoting names.ws.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:-D
Kid Kool said:
it doesn't work though. if you have to say it 5 times to every person who inquires about your site...personally i'd rather be able to tell someone the name of my site and not have get some blank puzzled look in response.

As I noted before, if you get blank puzzled looks over something that simple, I would be looking for a new circle of friends. Are we talking about people who speak English here? :-D

Kid Kool said:
I have nothing against new extensions for development, but .ws, .bz, and .nu
are just terrible.

Actually I don't disagree with you on that point. As I said at the beginning, there are only a handful of names I would even dream about using in .ws. Being in the domain name business, "names" is one of that handful.

Kid Kool said:
Why don't you use something like designernames.com. drops tomorrow.

Long and boring. Just what I need to break through the clutter! :-D

If I were going to do a site devoted to promoting alternate extensions, using .com would sort of send the wrong message wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators