Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld .province.ca Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a .province.ca domain with a strong keyword. The keyword has similar search results as say hiking.province.ca.

Any ideas on the value of a domain like this? The province is top 3 in terms of population in Canada. Very little traffic, not monetized.

I have no idea how to valuate a domain like this. Anywhere I can find previous sales for provincial domains? Any help is appreciated.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There aren't many domain.xx.ca sales to go by, and some that are known probably sold because they were expired domains with existing traffic. As far as value, if it's a strong keyword that can be used for that province (e.g.: hiking, camping, dogs, computers, etc), then it all depends on how much you are willing to pay. There are some keywords I'd be interested in getting like this if the price was right, especially since they will soon be harder to get. I'm looking at my own domains right now and seeing if there are any worth adding the .bc.ca, .on.ca or .qc.ca to. I'd personally only stick with Ontario, Quebec and BC because of population.

Maybe look at some past .ca sales and attribute a % to what the xx.ca would be worth. I'm guessing maybe 10 or 20% of the .ca

Maybe there are some private xx.ca sales people here know about?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From my experience.... end users who want your domain in a provincial ext think they just need to ask for your permisson to register it and don't expect to pay anything.

So this is my opinion but.. i don't see any value in registering provincial extension of your names or buying them for that matter unless they are stand alone and you can register the main domain without extension.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't ever see sales of provincial domains. There are a few that get snatched at the TBR solely for the purpose of securing the 2nd level counterpart.
I don't see any particular value now.
IMO it's a legacy of the early days.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Unless its a pre-existing site with known traffic and you are buying it as a traffic domain, I would not pay $1 for it. Only other option would be if its jobs.on.ca or something...otherwise save your money

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the value really depends, if you like to fish as a hobby and you live in BC, maybe fishing.bc.ca would have value to you. If it's just a domain you are going to park and hope for traffic or someone to come along and buy, then it better be a really good keyword that would be applicable to a lot of people.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't ever see sales of provincial domains. There are a few that get snatched at the TBR solely for the purpose of securing the 2nd level counterpart.

We do. A good provincial or territorial domain gets $2K or so.

japhi

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We do. A good provincial or territorial domain gets $2K or so.

This post along with HugeGrowths post make the most sense to me. The way I see it the best Canadian domains, outside of .com / .net, would be keyword.ca, followed by keyword.province.ca ranked ontario - quebec - bc. When you consider the .com of this domain would be a 300K plus sale, and the .ca would fetch 30K plus, I find it hard to believe that the .province would have no value as some people on this thread seem to think.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting we take our generic names and register all the provincial extensions? We don't.

japhi

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, not suggesting that at all. The discussion is around a premium kewords, not all generics. I wouldn't advocate registering crane.on.ca, although someone has already done that :)

In fact, I'm not advocating anything, trying to find the centre between "worthless"and "up to 2K" for a good keyword.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No japhi, no one registered crane.on.ca

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
everybody has certain keywords they like, whether it be their first name, job, business, or activity they like doing, etc. Examples of names I could see people being interested in are like Steve.bc.ca, Dentist.on.ca, Carte.qc.ca, Soccer.bc.ca and so on. It is harder to value these kinds of domains that regular .ca's

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when is the deadline for registering of provincal codes...???

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://cira.ca/rewrite-inflight-transactions

After October 13, 2010, new conflicting domain names cannot be registered.

Does this apply to creating the 2nd-level as well?

CIRA answered the question.

You can continue registering conflicting domains under the same registRANT until Oct.12. (The time for registering under a different registRANT passed this morning, as well as multiple conflicts).

Starting the 13th, conflicting domains cannot be registered.
This INCLUDES second-level.

Last edited:

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The reason for 2 dates as I see it is to allow 14 days for the "permission process" from the start which is today.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It doesn't say anywhere that it is today... i believe it is October 13th if i'm not mistaken ??

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Registration of "Conflicting Domain Name"
The ability to request the registration of conflicting domain names will cease on September 28, 2010. All existing requests to register a conflicting domain name prior to 08:00 EST September 28, 2010, will be grandfathered into the system. Fourteen days prior to the start of migration any attempt to register a “conflicting domain name” cannot be processed. After October 13, 2010, new conflicting domain names cannot be registered.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is from namespro this morning

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the confusion. Our management team has confirmed with us that they have received incorrect information from CIRA before. The following is the correct information:

- registrations that require RCDN process (registering conflicting domains using a different registrant profile) will not be accepted today at 08:00 EST

- registrations that does not require RCDN process (registering conflicting domains using the same registrant profile) will still be accepted until 2010/10/13.

We hope the above information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions. We will be glad to answer them for you.

CIRA verified the above on the phone - although take the 13th to be the 12th midnight

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, that makes good sense anyway. There is no need to cut-off registrant created ptlds at this same time since creating them is virtually instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators