Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Small joys of domaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not running a domain blog, nor I would like to, but now and then there is a story that I would like to share (last time it was about maglev iirc). So I've moved cities, I'm now living in the heart of Poland, in Warsaw. New city, always exciting, so I have to explore and of course it's much more interesting than a city where you have lived for years. I also have this hobby to take photos of things with a dslr camera (or just a compact if it's a quick shot), so in theory I already have the bases of pretty good content. See, explore, take photos, gather information and there you go.

The other day I was just looking at Warsaw related domains, and it shocked me that while thewarsawblog.com was taken (remember thefacebook ;)) http://warsawblog.com like this was free to reg. This made me excited (not because the domain being so special, but that it was so fitting to my concept that came to my mind) so I quickly set up the server for it, installed WP and went on to search for some fitting Wordpress theme. I found some pretty decent theme so I went on and customized it, downloaded some plugins, set them up, configured the seo settings (most importantly the url structure which in default sucks big time in WP). Then I edited the photos, made some graphics for the site, watermarked my own photos and posted the first article about the zoo in Warsaw. It's all done in less than a day.

Normally I would not even think touching WP as it's slow, it's not secure, but for a blog like this it's just fine. Now with the second day on it has 101 uniques so far. Things like this make you wonder why all those premium domains out there are not developed. It really makes me crazy! I hope that soon all those domains will be in proper hands, after all, this would make the Internet a better place. :blush:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you get a chance, post some pics. Always love to see pictures of ancient cities and those of special historical significance.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Normally I would not even think touching WP as it's slow, it's not secure, but for a blog like this it's just fine. Now with the second day on it has 101 uniques so far. Things like this make you wonder why all those premium domains out there are not developed. It really makes me crazy! I hope that soon all those domains will be in proper hands, after all, this would make the Internet a better place. :blush:
Bravo. Huge push to make sites as parking pages continually get knocked out of the upper tier of searches.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
impressive :) good find bud!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As far as I know there are no open vulnerabilities with WP and speed depends on the hardware it runs on.

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cool domain, there are good unregistered Europe related names to find and sites to develop.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great domain, and a good result - very happy for you!

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never been in Warsaw, post some pictures.

Cheers.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you get a chance, post some pics. Always love to see pictures of ancient cities and those of special historical significance.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Bravo. Huge push to make sites as parking pages continually get knocked out of the upper tier of searches.

Most of the city has been destroyed during WW2, but they have reconstructed the old town, I will take photos of that, but for me a more interesting place is Saska Kepa, a neighborhood in Warsaw. War did not much damage to it, hence many buildings are still the same. It's the hip place in the city with nice little restaurants and very diverse population - I nearly moved there, but it's a bit off from the center.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

As far as I know there are no open vulnerabilities with WP and speed depends on the hardware it runs on.

It depends on many things, theme, hardware, plugins used etc. Generally if you customize a WP theme and create a relatively big website, it will be quite slow, at least I have this experience. If it was not, I would not be spending literally 50 times more on programming. Vulnerability: I've had unique theme and public theme, up-to-date and older version of WP hacked as well. The good thing is that it's easy to put it back, and I never used it for anything important, so if a site is down for a few hours, it's not a catastrophe.

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tetrapak hit the nail on the head. Re security, best to make sure your host has a good back-up system. Mine (and perhaps this is the norm) has daily, weekly, and monthly back-ups and if I need to I can pull any or all files out of the back up if I've been hacked.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Me too, normally at least .com and .net are taken in Easter European capital city+blog format (e.g: PragueBlog, BratislavaBlog, BudapestBlog, VilniusBlog...).

Naruto

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. WP is the best blogging platform there is so accusing it being slow and secure is just foolish.

2. Any crap blog of mine gets more than that in the beginning so 101 uniques is nothing.

3. A blog talking about warsaw traffic and park? no thanks

4. I wonder how long does it takes for the writer to get bored and abandon the blog.

5. This is not an important domain news.(this thread doesn't belong here)

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You probably just didn't get the point. I rarely see people posting about their projects, even if they are small and personal like a blog, although it would be interesting to see what how they got their, what motivated them and how it took shape finally. I see it much more though when people arrogantly write that 101 uniques on the second day of a site went live is nothing without ever posting how they've done it, or which site achieved it.

Hal

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good to see all is well in Warsaw and that your new city has already spanned a new mini project.

For those looking to make WP more secure, check out plugins 1 to 3 on this blog post:
http://morganlinton.com/wordpress-101/

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not in for the cents with this, if I'd set up a serious city site, then this could be a nice traffic source for example. For now I will just collect content.

GuestPostShop

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
110 in the first day...you must be joking....I don't believe you.

papadopulos

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great domain, nice result! Hope you continue developing the site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom