Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

So what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit out of sync, but it seems that the mob is running DNForum instead of some sensible minds lately.

From my casual observation, this may be the result of:

a) the lack of respect for voluntary moderators (which I'm sorry to say, action has to be coming from Adam himself to revert it), and

b) an ultra "Laissez-faire" policy of moderation which has seriously hurt the "rule of law".

For a small circle of closely knit and respectable businessmen, the latter, anything goes forum management style may work. But DNForum is much bigger than that, and many quiet lurkers (who could well be your core clients) may have already been offended by those active bullying few who think they are running DNForum.

Let me cite 2 examples here:

- http://www.dnforum.com/f496/107-dom...t-ztom-net-streamsrubs-com-thread-384574.html

This guy (GUA) CLEARLY and knowingly post his "above $100" sales in the "$100 and under" section, but no action was taken.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f254/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-9-thread-390136.html#post1799028

This REPORTED post CLEARLY requires action. I couldn't believe any sensible moderator would think otherwise and let DNForum goes down like one of those cheap forums where kids paste a dozen pictures in a single post.

So my question is, what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Upvote 0

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But even after the Forum did that, I doubt it will stop the Libs from whining, You could deal with every issue they have and they will still find something to complain about, What this forum really needs to do is learn how to deal with crybabies.

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they are a "lib" - they are simply someone who does not agree with you. You just really need to learn to look at both sides and understand that at the very same time you are complaining about someone whining, you are usually doing it yourself.

I have tried to engage in many threads in the political section, only for you to come in and personally attack me just because you didn't agree with MY view... You have done this to several others and maybe I have retaliated, but I never started anything with you. It is almost like you look for a argument because you have nothing better to do.

It may seem like I am trying to be rude here, but I really am not. I am not interested in having any problems with anyone on this site, when it comes to business, its business.... anything else is just politics and games... hopefully it can stay that way if they do decide to keep this forum open.

Domain summit 2024

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have tried to engage in many threads in the political section, only for you to come in and personally attack me just because you didn't agree with MY view... You have done this to several others and maybe I have retaliated, but I never started anything with you. It is almost like you look for a argument because you have nothing better to do.

You never started anything with me huh? You got personal in the very first discussion we had, injecting my race, my gender, my family and my reproductive system into a political debate where it had NO place. Your the one who crossed the line and made it personal, NOT me.... And you expect me to treat you with respect? I even gave you the opportunity to apologize and you refused.

In almost every political discussion I've had with you, I make valid points and you respond with insults and go off topic; Here's a prime example;

Your simply inacapable of carrying a debate, and you PROVE it in this very thread... You debate like a 8 year old, I encourage everyone whos interested to read it and judge for yourself.

It's people like you that are part of problem in that section, Your presence is degrading it to a point where members are actually becoming dumber from reading your posts.

Area52

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite strange and ironic that some of the most frequent and vocal posters in the political thread are lobbying to close it now.
Personally, I find the political section more entertaining at times than scanning through hundreds of useless domain names for sale.
Closing an unrelated section isn't going to help that.

Aleksandar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Raider you remind me of one elderly woman on our local forum who just couldn't keep the thread on topic and had to debate with everyone. I'm not saying she was wrong or bad in any way, she just needed a little more self control. Sometimes I felt sorry for her, because I knew she was hurt in some way but her strong character couldn't stop doing that and she kept on debating and debating... I always had respect for honest and strong people but there must be a borderline in a discussion. Right now you and Mr. Zurc.net are going to cross it. Use the PM system instead.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You never started anything with me huh? You got personal in the very first discussion we had, injecting my race, my gender, my family and my reproductive system into a political debate where it had NO place. Your the one who crossed the line and made it personal, NOT me.... And you expect me to treat you with respect? I even gave you the opportunity to apologize and you refused.

In almost every political discussion I've had with you, I make valid points and you respond with insults and go off topic; Here's a prime example;

Your simply inacapable of carrying a debate, and you PROVE it in this very thread... You debate like a 8 year old, I encourage everyone whos interested to read it and judge for yourself.

It's people like you that are part of problem in that section, Your presence is degrading it to a point where members are actually becoming dumber from reading your posts.

You prove my point exactly... You make up things for your own benefit, you have continued to try and defame my character with such accusations of racism. I never said anything bad about your family, I never said anything bad about your ethnicity.

You twist and turn things into something terrible so people will feel pity for you, you really do have a mental problem that needs to be taken care of or someone close to you needs to give you a little bit more attention. Try couples therapy or something.

Oh and for the two links you provided, lol, please tell me where anything I said was invalid. I can link to probably hundreds of posts where you come off 1000% worse.

EVERY response you make in that forum either starts or ends with a insult/name calling, you truly are lost in your own little close minded world.

I am still amused that you would think I had to apologize to you, that's just laughable... Stop being so self consumed...

I really thought everything with you would eventually blow over, but obviously not, you are too self involved and conceded to ever come to a resolution with anything other than what lives in your head.

If I believed in god, I would pray for you, but meh, good luck.

Quite strange and ironic that some of the most frequent and vocal posters in the political thread are lobbying to close it now.
Personally, I find the political section more entertaining at times than scanning through hundreds of useless domain names for sale.
Closing an unrelated section isn't going to help that.

I actually agree with with this at a point. If I don't have anything else going on and nothing as far as domains is catching my eye in the other forums, political section has been quite entertaining, even if I am not posting. I definitely don't want to see it go, but at same time, I don't really think I would miss it... after all... there always is Fox news! ;)

Scratch that, considering it looks like the obvious will never change, I am going to go ahead and put my vote in for the removal of the political section as I am convinced I won't have to deal with certain people here anymore who don't produce any positivity to DNForum anyways.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyway, back on topic,....

Are their examples in this thread where maybe a moderator could have influenced it's apparent mis-direction in order for the thread not going too far off-point?

I feel the OP has brought up an important discussion for the members of this forum, and I would hate to see it delve into a he said, she said, micro-focus of a tangent of the intent of the original post.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyway, back on topic,....

Are their examples in this thread where maybe a moderator could have influenced it's apparent mis-direction in order for the thread not going too far off-point?

I feel the OP has brought up an important discussion for the members of this forum, and I would hate to see it delve into a he said, she said, micro-focus of a tangent of the intent of the original post.

Sorry, but misinformation, manipulation and defamation don't sit well with me... carry on...

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I always had respect for honest and strong people but there must be a borderline in a discussion. Right now you and Mr. Zurc.net are going to cross it. Use the PM system instead.

Your right, However I'm not going to contribute any more to what this attention seeking troll writes, It will only degrade the thread further. I already said what I had to say.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed.

Last edited:

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, I have followed this string until in ran off topic.

Is the consensus that trhe political section should go and that the mod team should moderate more strictly?

-=DCG=-
For me, I'd say no and then yes.

But it depends entirely on *where* the moderation efforts are being placed. Cutting down on flame wars and personal attacks is necessary.

Shutting the political section will do nothing, though, since the personal attacks (and political discussion) would probably end up being done in another board.

The political section isn't the problem, IMO, it's that people are personally attacking each-other due to lack of moderation in this area.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the consensus that trhe political section should go and that the mod team should moderate more strictly?

OED: Consensus = General agreement of opinion; majority view, collective opinion. To me this suggests a poll.

I also think it important that the views of all members should be sought rather than just those who participate in the thread currently under review.

But even if there were no thread dedicated to politics, is someone going to be banned from starting one later in the general off-topic area? It's hard to see how this might be policed, even with tightened moderatorship.

Is the end result to be no non-domaining threads? I think this would be a shame.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

My thoughts.... It won't affect the quality of the forum to shut down the political section. People will still join and come for the domain discussions, sales, purchases, etc.... The sub-forum has become an unnecessary distraction and the efforts of the moderators can be better spent elsewhere. It doesn't appear at any time soon the sub-forum will be able to moderate itself, the opinions of the posters are strong and one slip of the tongue starts a war of words. So the quesiton begs, of what value to DNF and it's members is the political forum? Is there any?

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But even after the Forum did that, I doubt it will stop the Libs from whining, You could deal with every issue they have and they will still find something to complain about

Every time you say something like this in a thread that has nothing to do with politics you're just giving more reason to shut the forum down. You're just proving the fact that people with strong political views will take every opportunity to bring them up, even if the subject at hand has nothing to do with politics.

It's partly because of jabs like this that people want the political forum to go away...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Were you not also a Mod at DNF for many years?
True. But I don't want to get this into the formula.

And as a long time DNForum MEMBER, I already enjoy the trust that I gain from (potential) buyers around the world. This is also why I care about this place (apart from Adam being a really nice guy), because at least part of my reputation (as a reliable domain buyer or seller) is closely tied to DNForum.

Even more importantly, I rely on DNForum to buy and sell domains. Without it, I'll be short at least US$10,000 this year.

-=DCG=-
I guess it's a very good illustration of how "self-regulatory" some members are when even THIS thread ran off-topic.

So to state my opinion more clearly: although I honestly believe that political and religious discussion could be well maintained even in professional/business forums like DNForum, I don't mind seeing them go if more than reasonable resources are being drained because of that.

As for moderation, YES, I think DNForum has been too soft on delinquency, which is why people KEEP ABUSING. But more importantly, DNForum needs a strong and VISIBLE team of moderators who are experienced enough in domain names so their reputation does not come from their badges alone.

H2FC

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But it depends entirely on *where* the moderation efforts are being placed. Cutting down on flame wars and personal attacks is necessary.

Shutting the political section will do nothing, though, since the personal attacks (and political discussion) would probably end up being done in another board.

The political section isn't the problem, IMO, it's that people are personally attacking each-other due to lack of moderation in this area.
These are my thoughts exactly.

I say put a stop to Raider's personal attacks toward anyone who disagrees with her and there would be no need to shut down any of the threads in this forum.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I say put a stop to Raider's personal attacks toward anyone who disagrees with her and there would be no need to shut down any of the threads in this forum.

I disagree.

I would suggest the development of a set of standards defining the level of civility and decorum that shall be expected of ALL members alike.

And then the admins should direct, empower, and expect, the moderators to use these standards in their efforts of maintaining a constructive domaining forum, with maybe a lounge for other off-topic threads.

Moderation isnt just about moving threads around and deleting spam.

Moderation is about helping to foster and create an environment that lends benefit to the topical-minded membership as a whole, of any given forum subject matter.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the development of a set of standards defining the level of civility and decorum that shall be expected of ALL members alike.
I was under the impression this was already in place.

It's partly because of jabs like this that people want the political forum to go away...
and those jabs would be less tolerated by all in a thread dealing with domains, such as a sale or auction or offers thread.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I was troubled having to read Adult Domains shown in Today's posts, I advocated they be removed because many of them were disgusting and offensive,<snip>

Huh???

And I do beg Adam to let this off-topic gem stand, as it speaks glowingly, compellingly to why Raider is so properly disliked....the hypocrisy of public hate, while....

Or do I have the wrong person? :) Are these the kind of "disgusting" and "offensive" names you're so annoyed by? Or are they worse than that? ;)

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huh???

And I do beg Adam to let this off-topic gem stand, as it speaks glowingly, compellingly to why Raider is so properly disliked....the hypocrisy of public hate, while....

Or do I have the wrong person? :) Are these the kind of "disgusting" and "offensive" names you're so annoyed by? Or are they worse than that? ;)
oh snap

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vBulletin (the software this board runs on) has a built-in user infraction and "strike" system the moderators should probably consider using it if not already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators