Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sold domain years ago, buyer never finished transfer after payment

linkreach

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Long story short, back in late 2005 I sold a domain I own on here. The buyer paid the money pretty quickly and we started the transfer process. Midway through the transfer process, the buyer seemed to just disappear. No replies to e-mail or anything like that. I still retain the domain but I haven't done anything with it other than pay the renewal costs in case this person happened to come back. Almost 12 years later (haha I know right?) I'm figuring they aren't coming back.

I guess my question is... how long do I need to wait for this type of thing before trying to sell the domain again or even start developing it again? I figured it may be some sort of legal thing, so I figured this would be the right place. If not, then I apologize.

Thanks!

Domain summit 2024

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Imho after you first renewed it with your own money, because it became expired domain.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If its a good name, it is in essence now "expired" as the registrars sell such names that were never paid for. For a decade you have paid for it, so I say it's yours now.

alwaysforGod

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It may be brutally honest, but yeah like denny said, once you renewed it, as in it would have dropped, i would agree it became yours. I, also, would not have been satisfied with that however, and would have waited and waited as well. But since it is 12 years down the road I advise contacting their last place messaged from, give them a few more months, then do as you will. Nothing to say you couldn't be prepared in case they show back up though!
Maybe, it occurs to me, they liked you and wanted to do you a favour without saying so :]

domaindot

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Email them at ALL known emails. Leave voice mails at ALL known numbers.
(I'd make an honest, all out effort here)

Let them know the situation (that they owe you renewal fees) and let them know if you don't hear back from them, the domain will be dropped or will become yours (whatever you want to happen).

Send/leave the same message a second time after a month or so. Let them know it is the final notification.

Wait for a month.

Legally (see disclaimer) and ethically, that should be it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators