Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

T.r.a.f.f.i.c. 2004 Sold Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
However, operate it in a 100% professional manner. Don't harbor old grudges from years ago such as with an application that childishly seeks to exclude specific individuals who are no longer on Rick's board, or sets ridiculously inflated admission prices (or discounts) for people who are/ aren't in favor with Rick or Howard at any given moment.

One of the major issues I have had myself.

According to Schwartz's estimate
"125 people -- nearly all of them men"
Which translates to a at least $1250-$150K minimum budget not counting the sponsors which paid for most all of the individual dinners/events

Sun Sentinel

South Florida Business Journal

trader said:
Do you agree it's incredible grudge holding nonsense?

Maybe in 2005 we can wipe the slate clean! d:)

Domain Summit 2024

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems to have been successful according to the feedback but it's too bad I see some empty chairs in some event photo's which could have been filled by some of us banned by domainking yrs ago (for relatively minor reasons), so we could not attend even if we were willing to pay the high price since he said past banned members not invited!

P.S. Great reporting by Duke. Thanks.

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
One of the major issues I have had myself.

According to Schwartz's estimate
"125 people -- nearly all of them men"
Which translates to a at least $1250-$150K minimum budget not counting the sponsors which paid for most all of the individual dinners/events

Free enterprise is never an issue.

And I can assure you that Rick and Howard wisely reinvested a considerable share of those funds to produce a first-class event. They could have cheaped-out on the menus and stuck the difference in their pockets. No one would've noticed, because that's what most of us likely expected. Instead, their hospitality was top rank and abundant (breakfasts, lunches, intermission snacks, cocktail parties, hors d'oerves, dinners). They could have cheaped-out on liquor, too. Instead, they poured premium brands. They could have cheaped-out on a keynote speaker or had none at all. Instead, they invested some bucks to bring-in Ben Stein. They could have cheaped-out on entertainment, but instead brought in luau singer Howard Neu. Well, 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

It'll be nice if they can make next year's conference a little more affordable, in order to draw more people to the event. But don't begrudge them their right to profit. They earned every nickel of it.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promediary:

Free enterprise is never an issue.

And I can assure you that Rick and Howard wisely reinvested a considerable share of those funds to produce a first-class event. They could have cheaped-out on the menus and stuck the difference in their pockets. No one would've noticed, because that's what most of us likely expected. Instead, their hospitality was top rank and abundant (breakfasts, lunches, intermission snacks, cocktail parties, hors d'oerves, dinners). They could have cheaped-out on liquor, too. Instead, they poured premium brands. They could have cheaped-out on a keynote speaker or had none at all. Instead, they invested some bucks to bring-in Ben Stein. They could have cheaped-out on entertainment, but instead brought in luau singer Howard Neu. Well, 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

It'll be nice if they can make next year's conference a little more affordable, in order to draw more people to the event. But don't begrudge them their right to profit. They earned every nickel of it.
++++++++++++++++++

Granted.

Now let them grow up and produce a 100% professional show for our industry, one that doesn't exclude people from participation based on grudges from years past, and one that is priced right with one general admission price for everyone. No discounts for cronies or sycophants.

Then I would be impressed. Then it would be a real trade show, and not a clubhouse re-union. Then it would truly be worth attending.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promediary said:
But don't begrudge them their right to profit. They earned every nickel of it.

Where did I state there was anything bad with free enterprise? 125 people is a fairly good turnout. The only issue I had from the beginning were statements regarding previous board members and comments that in my opinion were unprofessional and made me view this event in another light initially. The industry is made up of a variety of different people none of which have to always agree with one another. I am sure we can all agree that this event was destined to be a success simply because there is nothing else happening in the industry at the moment (at least in an organized fashion). Rick very well may be the only person to pull this off successfully, despite his criticism. I am sure it was really awesome and worth every penny of the cost. If time allowed I would have tried to come even if I had to be a clandestine waiter serving beverages at the hotel (maybe I was lol). Hopefully, regardless of whether we are on Rick's good or bad side he can open the doors to more people being able to afford and attend the event in the future. I am confident any future events will be even better and everyone will feel more of a sense of inclusion rather than exclusion.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You folks with blinders on might want to go to dnjournal.com.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
If time allowed I would have tried to come even if I had to be a clandestine waiter serving beverages at the hotel (maybe I was lol).

Clem,

The tips were terrible.

And, the only tip HiOsilver gave me was

"buy 3 letter .info's"

Thanks!!!

Next time, I am going as a waitress.

sunshine

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hal, don't worry, you weren't excluded from the conference.
Although no mention of your name occurred, what transpired
between you and the British Heart Foundation was touched
upon (as an example of how NOT to do business).

http://bhf.org/ --- where's the olive branch to them ?

what we got from this conference was worth way more
than $5000.

and, more important for everyone here, what this conference
did for this industry is priceless, and you will all benefit from it.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sunshine wrote:

Hal, don't worry, you weren't excluded from the conference.
Although no mention of your name occurred, what transpired
between you and the British Heart Foundation was touched
upon (as an example of how NOT to do business).

http://bhf.org/ --- where's the olive branch to them ?
+++++++++++++++++

Hello Sunshine,

Looks like some things never change. I am not sure exactly what your thesis is, although, my business model has evolved quite a bit in 3 years.

However, regarding the BHF.ORG matter:

1. There was no registered trademark 'BHF.'
2. 'BHF' is being used by numerous organizations around the world. Google 'BHF.'
3. I registered the BHF.ORG domain in my real name. Still is held by me.
4. The UDRP panel FOUND IN MY FAVOR.

Those above FACTS may be helpful to keep in mind when looking at the case.

On the subject of cybersquatting, does this following case for PRADA.ORG look familiar:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-1090.html

In the above PRADA.ORG case:

Was there a registered trademark?
Are numerous organizations using it, or, Is it a FAMOUS and DISTINCTIVE registered trademark?
Did the registrant use her real name, or did she mask her name, perhaps intending subterfuge?
How did the panel find?

Oh, by the way, where are you from, Sunshine?

sunshine

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
using one's business name isn't considered subterfuge, hal.

catching a trademark domain on a drop in 2000, and NOT using it in the same market,
shouldn't have satisfied all 3 criteria of a WIPO suit.

as we know, in 2004, lines are more now clearly drawn and most of us wouldn't
repeat mistakes we made early in the market.

also, i didn't mention in the previous post anything about WIPO and how you handled
bhf.org. you know exactly what i was referencing, and that was the way you
handled the potential sale of the name to them.

failure to

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sunshine wrote:

as we know, in 2004, lines are more now clearly drawn and most of us wouldn't
repeat mistakes we made early in the market.
++++++++++++++++

Agreed.

Maybe bygones should be bygones.

I am agreeable.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We all work in what still is considered to be a fringe industry - in fact 99.9% of people don't even know that this industry exists. Anything that puts us out there and on the map can only be a good thing. I commend the organisers for putting on this first event.

D

Deleted member 4749

HOWARD said:
Due to the tremendous demand of both domainers and sponsors, T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2004 has a waiting list of 40 people and is completely sold out. The following companies are either sponsors or are attending the conference:
DOMAINNAMECATALYST.COM, DEEPBLUESEA.COM, FABULOUS.COM, DOMAINSPONSOR.COM, FMA.COM, HITFARM.COM, KANOODLE.COM, POOL.COM, ENOM.COM, AFTERNIC.COM, PARKINGDOTS.COM, MONIKER.COM, SMARTNAME.COM, CONSUMPTIONJUNCTION.COM, OVERTURE.COM, GOOGLE.COM, FINDWHAT.COM, BUYDOMAINS.COM, LINKSHARE.COM.

T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2005 will take place in Miami Beach, Florida, October 19-22, 2005. Registration will be open November 15th at targetedtraffic.com.

What a cheap joke.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Place your bets NOW:

VOTE #1 if you believe next year's T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2005 show will 100% professional, a standard tradeshow, with standard pricing, and open to the trade at large.

VOTE #2 if you believe Schwartz and Co. will perpetuate their grudge match again next year and again attempt to restrict attendees of T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2005, banning individuals from their grudge list.

PLACE YOUR BETS NOW!

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Place your bets NOW:

VOTE #1 if you believe next year's T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2005 show will 100% professional, a standard tradeshow, with standard pricing, and open to the trade at large.

VOTE #2 if you believe Schwartz and Co. will perpetuate their grudge match again next year and again attempt to restrict attendees of T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2005, banning individuals from their grudge list.

PLACE YOUR BETS NOW!

Jesus Hal...you just said you wanted to let things go and you continue to defacate at the keyboard. Is there any wonder why you might not be wanted there?

It was 100% professional this year and it will be even better next year. Why don't you get over your Rick fixation and look at the bigger picture...irregardless of your and others opinions of Rick...he did a great job organizing and particiating in the conference .. it was not the Rick show. It was the group as a whole that made it work...we were all part of the experience.

Funny thing Hal if you really have a problem with Rick..I'm sure no one would dragged you over to talk to him...you could have gone the whole conference and never even ran into him....not that he would have been disappointed by not speaking with you. We know you obviously know more than everyone else...but we wouldn't want you to lose your edge by sharing any of that.

Maybe you can go back to your statement of letting it go...maybe if you weren't so damn abrasive and know it all you would be in a different position.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izoot wrote:

Jesus Hal...you just said you wanted to let things go and you continue to defacate at the keyboard. Is there any wonder why you might not be wanted there?

It was 100% professional this year and it will be even better next year. Why don't you get over your Rick fixation and look at the bigger picture...

*MY* FIXATION?

I SEE, SO I AM THE ONE WHO THREW A TRADE SHOW AND EXCLUDED PEOPLE WITH WHOM I HAD MINOR DIFFERENCES YEARS AGO? LOL.

irregardless

IRREGARDLESS AIN'T A WORD.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, LOOK IT UP.

of your and others opinions of Rick...he did a great job organizing and particiating in the conference .. it was not the Rick show. It was the group as a whole that made it work...we were all part of the experience.

IT AIN'T AN OPINION. THE TRADE SHOW WAS RESTRICTED; THE WEBSITE SAID OLD BANNED BOARD MEMBERS WEREN'T WELCOME. THAT'S A GRUDGE LIST. HOWEVER, IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT A SWEET SMELLING ROSE, BE MY GUEST.

Funny thing Hal if you really have a problem with Rick..

MY PROBLEM?

AGAIN, IT WASN'T MY TRADE SHOW. IT WASN'T MY GRUDGE LIST.

sunshine

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We all have to take a look at the big picture. We all want the same thing,
success in our businesses and our industry.

I'd like to ask you two questions Hal. I am sincerely interested in the answers,
not an attack, not a counter, just two simple answers.

Do you believe your posts are helping, or hurting, your business?
Do you believe your posts are helping, or hurting, our industry?

sunshine

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Links to threads with false information don't either, George.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators