Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

The great domain extension scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has your investment in .mobi now clouded your ability to be rational in discussion ?
I hope not..... as .mobi makes less than 5% of my total portfolio....As to my post above, I just used your comment as a springboard to talk about my observation over the last several years (not necessarily pointing out at you personally). And, the observation is: How come its almost without fail that holders of .coms/.nets start predicting doom and gloom for every new extension as soon as its rolled out?

Now, in regards to the mobile web almost everything that I've read points out to the fact that we're truly in the early infancy stages of this phenomenon, uniformly predicted to be huge over these next several years. Even well-respected experts have very differing opinions as to how things would evolve in this area, and specifically what would be the role of a dedicated extension (.mobi) in this evolution of mobile web. Now, either our forum colleagues are super geniuses or psychics or clairvoyants that they can portray this uncanny confidence in so affirmatively declaring the demise of this brand new extension...!!
Or, may be its the "vested interest" in reverse thats manifest here. Just think: Its no rocket science to see the vested interest of folks like myself who are investing in this new product but it might be little more complicated to see thru the "vested interest" of those who are NOT investing in it but for some odd reason are bending over backwards predicting its demise...!

I didn't mean anything personal in my comments but if it came across like that I do apologize.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I said I was going to get one .mobi and that's what I got. Today I took l33t.mobi (I have the .info as well) and it's the only .mobi I am bothering with until they can be proven. These extensions are getting out of control.

BTW..did anyone notice that namecheap has a .mobi sale for $19.99 per year. Cheapest I seen so far.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker has them for much cheaper than that. :)

And as for:

Now, in regards to the mobile web almost everything that I've read points out to the fact that we're truly in the early infancy stages of this phenomenon, uniformly predicted to be huge over these next several years. Even well-respected experts have very differing opinions as to how things would evolve in this area, and specifically what would be the role of a dedicated extension (.mobi) in this evolution of mobile web. Now, either our forum colleagues are super geniuses or psychics or clairvoyants that they can portray this uncanny confidence in so affirmatively declaring the demise of this brand new extension...!!
Or, may be its the "vested interest" in reverse thats manifest here. Just think: Its no rocket science to see the vested interest of folks like myself who are investing in this new product but it might be little more complicated to see thru the "vested interest" of those who are NOT investing in it but for some odd reason are bending over backwards predicting its demise...!

Sure, mobile web is a new phenomenon, but so is social bookmarking. Should we make a new extension for myspace now? My point is that regardless of the market trends, the extension is pointless and simply a way for ICANN to milk an extra reg fee per year out of everybody who wants to have their domain in all extensions, i.e. the suckers. ;-)

And sure my comments and opinions might be considered a bit biased, since I have no .mobi domains, but I can assure you that I didn't post this thread because I was upset that I missed the land rush. I have known about .mobi for months, just as everybody else has. I also knew about .eu and chose to ignore it.

At some point, all of these extra extensions are just going to make the web into a huge mess. The tricky thing will be knowing when to get out entirely before it collapses. As some people have mentioned, there could very well be "domains" without ANY extension in the future. Who would get those? I honestly think that if this happens, the owners of the oldest domain with that word or phrase should get first chance. Otherwise it's the same problem over and over again.

Consider Progressive Auto Insurance or Apple Computer. Both are words, and say for example I bought apple.mobi. Instantly I have a TM name that Apple Computer has to try to protect. But if I put something unrelated to computers on the domain I can't be touched. I'm just saying that while I think new extensions are stupid, when they ARE made public, the oldest domain in use with any given name should have preference before the general public.

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
may be they should also add one more extenson .fools explaining how foolish they are when they keep adding meaningless extensions and then .antifool their answer to .fool may be .google .you . me .free .pop .rock .car freaking extensions real extensions are these .com , .net .org and .info

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope not..... as .mobi makes less than 5% of my total portfolio....As to my post above, I just used your comment as a springboard to talk about my observation over the last several years (not necessarily pointing out at you personally). And, the observation is: How come its almost without fail that holders of .coms/.nets start predicting doom and gloom for every new extension as soon as its rolled out?

I didn't mean anything personal in my comments but if it came across like that I do apologize.

very well said dryheat.. and now lets hear from someone with a vested interested in .mobi -- me.

heres what i think: I dont know.

Yes, i own 500-600some .mobi's and i dont know what will happen. nuts huh?

We'll all just have to wait and see.. i know, i know its so old fashioned and completely unsexy without these super predictions taking place.

The only arguement worth saying right now is that this is the first time a TLD has such insanely powerful companies backing it.. this does not insure its success, but gives it a better chance than .biz wouldnt you think?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
may be they should also add one more extenson .fools explaining how foolish they are when they keep adding meaningless extensions and then .antifool their answer to .fool may be .google .you . me .free .pop .rock .car freaking extensions real extensions are these .com , .net .org and .info

heh, .info came out in 2001, how quickly you forget.. it was a "new" extention and now its actually appreciated by most.

sometimes i wonder, are these really peoples opinions, or do they just say so to sound smart?

syed

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont think you can compare .mobi to other extensions. For starters, .mobi is meant mainly for PDA users. Many people using PDAs would not want to go a screen full of colors and have their battery drained out. typing in .Mobi will ensure they will see an ugly almost colorless page that would have some merci on their devices. If marketed well, this extension could easily be the supreme one for PDA users, but despite its potential, I didnt care to single invest anything on it. May be I would have if it was .Mob and if PDA technology wasn't changing every so fast. I mean I dont think PDAs would need PDA-Friendly websites in couple of years from now.. the batteries will improve, the term 'PDA-Friendly' less used and .mobi could soon be obselete.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
600 .mobis = $30,000+

Why just not donate that money to a charity so some good will come of it?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.Mobi is headed in the same direction as .Name, .Pro and others, a forgotten TLD that never took off, I think the more TLD's that are out there, the more confusing it will be, thereby forcing .coms to strengthen in value, just my theory.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are each other's amusement. Funny thread actually. :cheeky: I would prefer some slow down on the release of new extensions. And I understand 007's general sentiment. That being said, I went for some mobi's. And when .stink is released, I'll probably strategize to get the best .stink I can afford.

To the mobi critics: I feel your pain. I used to see low-quality three word .com's going for $XXXX and would curse at the sky because it defied logic. I've finally settled into "It is what it is, not what I want it to be". I would have been prepared to pass on mobi, but was persuaded to get in because of the larger corporate backing and the unique needs of the ever-growing cell phone/PDA market. I love seeing opportunity - even if it's small. That seems to be the intrinsic nature of speculation anyway ... uncertainty.

I don't mind if you call us suckers. In fairness, be prepared to call us "visionaries" if .mobi finds a permanent place. :flypig:

P.S. Or even ... "Suckers who got lucky"!

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
600 .mobis = $30,000+

Why just not donate that money to a charity so some good will come of it?

gt web you need to learn a little bit of math. heh..for god sakes go to bed.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gt web you need to learn a little bit of math. heh..for god sakes go to bed.

Well the average price of a .mobi is $30 per year times 2 years.

Moniker is starting to offer cheaper, but given your level of intelligence (obvious seeing as you actually registered over 600 of them) it wouldnt surprise me if you paid full price.

Go to bed? It's just after 5pm where I live? :twitch:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the average price of a .mobi is $30 per year times 2 years.

Go to bed? It's just after 5pm where I live? :twitch:

Good job GT. That was just the quiz, there will be a graded test.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think .mobi is far more a developers TLD than a domainers. Chance of type in 0. Ads don't display so I am told. I think the only people that will benefit are developed websites like google and weather.com that want to provide another free service. I foresee .mobi being used in late night commercials "visit meetsingles.mobi now" or something like that. I think that if mobile device makers all got together and added a [.mobi] button to the keypad that would be something that would make me start thinking its worth a damn.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I said I was going to get one .mobi and that's what I got. Today I took l33t.mobi (I have the .info as well) and it's the only .mobi I am bothering with until they can be proven. These extensions are getting out of control.

BTW..did anyone notice that namecheap has a .mobi sale for $19.99 per year. Cheapest I seen so far.

$22.48 here, where do you see 19.99?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
reseller club is $8.49/yr.. min. 2yrs

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
reseller club is $8.49/yr.. min. 2yrs

Ok, so new calculation:

$16.98 * 600 = $10,188

Still a ridiculous amount to spend on a horrible extension. You could have bought a great 3 letter .com for that amount.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, so new calculation:

$16.98 * 600 = $10,188

Still a ridiculous amount to spend on a horrible extension. You could have bought a great 3 letter .com for that amount.

your on it gt.. and im glad your lookin out for random people on the internet.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't get is this: What is it that motivates and energizes the naysayers (any naysayers) to keep harping on something and predicting demise of something that did not interest them in the first place....I mean I didn't get into .ws, .cc, .cn, .tv and so many other TLDs but then I've also never felt the urge to barge in on a thread dedicated to any of these and start spitting around fire....in a way reminds one of religious extremists who'd just keep on trying having their views forced on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators