Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

The great domain extension scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy 1 .mobi.

'nuf said'

-=DCG=-

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy 1 .mobi.

'nuf said'

-=DCG=-

neither did I, but have a list a mile long of available one worders and 2 word premiums and can't seem to pull the trigger.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't get is this: What is it that motivates and energizes the naysayers (any naysayers) to keep harping on something and predicting demise of something that did not interest them in the first place....I mean I didn't get into .ws, .cc, .cn, .tv and so many other TLDs but then I've also never felt the urge to barge in on a thread dedicated to any of these and start spitting around fire....in a way reminds one of religious extremists who'd just keep on trying having their views forced on others.

:blabla:

...lol j/k

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bought 1, but only because I have the info and biz :)

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't get is this: What is it that motivates and energizes the naysayers (any naysayers) to keep harping on something and predicting demise of something that did not interest them in the first place....I mean I didn't get into .ws, .cc, .cn, .tv and so many other TLDs but then I've also never felt the urge to barge in on a thread dedicated to any of these and start spitting around fire....in a way reminds one of religious extremists who'd just keep on trying having their views forced on others.

why not warn the newbies that this may not be the get-rich-quick scheme that they are thinking. If you ask me, it is not always a bad thing to see these warnings, simular to what the SEC requires companies to put on forword-looking statements.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gt isnt just warning people to be nice, somthing goes off in his head and he wants people to know hes right.. like its some sort of unique thought that .mobi is going to fail..

just because somebody is new to these forums doesnt exactly mean theyre new to the internet.. there arent really any get rich schemes on the internet that dont involve blatently ripping people off.. yes i feal sorry for some of the portfolios of obvious horrible .mobi's i've seen posted as well..

just because an extention might suck or you personally hate the extention doesnt mean the good keywords for that extention wont sell for more than reg. fee.. there is always somebody else on the internet willing to believe in what you do, either rationally or irrationally..

do you think the person that bought bad.biz, good.biz, smart.biz, money.biz in landrush are having trouble getting rid of those domains? maybe, if theyre trying to get $1,000,000 each like most dreamers, but if their plan was to just make anything off of them, hell $40 profit for a word that took 10 seconds to register??? the people serving your cheeseburger at mcdonalds work 8 hours for that..

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if we do get $100 for our .mobi's it's still a little profit to bank, and thats my way of thinking, but obviously if some of the .mobi speculators are going for $10000 or even more for them they are in dreamland especially at this early stage of the game! Maybe one day they could be worth that, when and if the www takes on a new revolution and the household pc/ laptops becomes obsolete!

syed

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't .MOBL make more sense than .MOBI?

Isn't there enough combinations to let everyone have their own extension who wants one? I'll take .bob

There will be many more after .MOBI like .XXX .WWW and .ABC

.MOBL?

How about just .MOB?

Except .Info, I dont like any other 4 letter extensions. Considering that people would be typing it in portable devices, .MOB would have been a lot better.

Besides, I could have then registered Godfather.Mob, Mafia.Mob, Russian.Mob just for the heck of it :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are each other's amusement. Funny thread actually. :cheeky: I would prefer some slow down on the release of new extensions. And I understand 007's general sentiment. That being said, I went for some mobi's. And when .stink is released, I'll probably strategize to get the best .stink I can afford.

To the mobi critics: I feel your pain. I used to see low-quality three word .com's going for $XXXX and would curse at the sky because it defied logic. I've finally settled into "It is what it is, not what I want it to be". I would have been prepared to pass on mobi, but was persuaded to get in because of the larger corporate backing and the unique needs of the ever-growing cell phone/PDA market. I love seeing opportunity - even if it's small. That seems to be the intrinsic nature of speculation anyway ... uncertainty.

I don't mind if you call us suckers. In fairness, be prepared to call us "visionaries" if .mobi finds a permanent place. :flypig:

P.S. Or even ... "Suckers who got lucky"!

Amazing my friend amazing: very well said!!!

I feel like I wrote it.

I am in domaining for 9 years and always missed the new tld landrushes only to regret later. Just like you I could not stand on the sidelines anymore and we got over 80 dotmobies....good ones.

Having said that we still believe dotCom is the King and will be King forever.

90% of our domains are dot com and rest others and under 1% are .mobies

Thanks.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guy you do realize that IE7 is set to be an automated update on Nov 1st.
The biggest point for naysayers was that browsers couldn't support IDN domains (fact is it's only IE6 that couldn't, other browsers can).
This goes out the Window on November 1st when millions of computers are auto updated to IE7 by Microsoft.

Now .Mobi isn't exactly needed. Mobile companies might have a set plan for the extension but if others don't know about it, they might be hesitant to invest. Also the Mobile companies all make a profit by users trying to view Mobi sites. It's more like free stats & money if it succeds.

I hear that you've bought tons of IDNs...Good Luck...:cheeky:

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guy you do realize that IE7 is set to be an automated update on Nov 1st.
The biggest point for naysayers was that browsers couldn't support IDN domains (fact is it's only IE6 that couldn't, other browsers can).
This goes out the Window on November 1st when millions of computers are auto updated to IE7 by Microsoft.

Now .Mobi isn't exactly needed. Mobile companies might have a set plan for the extension but if others don't know about it, they might be hesitant to invest. Also the Mobile companies all make a profit by users trying to view Mobi sites. It's more like free stats & money if it succeds.

Are you talking about IDNs that all the banks dread and all the individuals will fall pray to? It will be a nightmare for the people to deal with fraudulent websites that look like real websites.

Can't even imagine the pain people will go thru......:censored:

IDNs = Internationalized Dangerous Names

Don't own a single IDN: say no to IDNs :bounce:

:fencing:

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't want to make this into a pro IDN topic but you are talking about Phishing domains. These are domains that look like English but aren't. I invest in Japanese & Chinese domains. You can't register a Japanese "looking" IDN. Those concerns aren't an Issue with most of the languages that need IDNs. IE7 also won't resolve phishing domains in the browser they have already made a solution to that problem.
Most IDN domain investors & IDN resource sites do not condone of the trading, or sales of mixed script phishing domains.

Are you talking about IDNs that all the banks dread and all the individuals will fall pray to? It will be a nightmare for the people to deal with fraudulent websites that look like real websites.

Can't even imagine the pain people will go thru......:censored:

IDNs = Internationalized Dangerous Names

Don't own a single IDN: say no to IDNs :bounce:

:fencing:

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ericsson, GSM Association, Google, Hutchison, Microsoft, Nokia, Orascom Telecom, Samsung Electronics, Syniverse, Telefonica Moviles, Telecom Italia, T-Mobile and Vodafone are all aboard the .mobi bandwagon.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this extension!

There is no space here to list all the companies on the .com/net/org bandwagon :)

Here is another thought: since we are here in buy/sell domain name business
the more extensions exist better for us. What do you think?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Biggest mistake of ICANN was the drop of the .xxx TLD. That would have been the only moneymaker. But they succumbed to pressure from a very conservative administration.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still think if you see .mobi sites starting to be advertised heavily, the extension will succeed. From what I've read most people in North America don't understand how heavily mobile internet is used in other parts of the world, and how much it will eventually become a part of life here. Yes, any extension can be used for a mobile site, but .mobi will be enforcing mobile compatible sites, so when you see a .mobi address you will know it's mobile compliant and worth visiting with your pda. Lots of big sites are releasing mobile search and mobile sites right now, we are just seeing the start of a huge wave.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are each other's amusement. Funny thread actually. :cheeky: I would prefer some slow down on the release of new extensions. And I understand 007's general sentiment. That being said, I went for some mobi's. And when .stink is released, I'll probably strategize to get the best .stink I can afford.

To the mobi critics: I feel your pain. I used to see low-quality three word .com's going for $XXXX and would curse at the sky because it defied logic. I've finally settled into "It is what it is, not what I want it to be". I would have been prepared to pass on mobi, but was persuaded to get in because of the larger corporate backing and the unique needs of the ever-growing cell phone/PDA market. I love seeing opportunity - even if it's small. That seems to be the intrinsic nature of speculation anyway ... uncertainty.

I don't mind if you call us suckers. In fairness, be prepared to call us "visionaries" if .mobi finds a permanent place. :flypig:

P.S. Or even ... "Suckers who got lucky"!

Exactly how I feel, word for word. Its pretty refreshing to hear when somebody is completely honest with themselves..

"It is what it is not what i want it to be" - thats great

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom