Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The great domain extension scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless you have some serious .mobi keywords i think its a serious speculative punt,what ever happened to .eu the next.com or even bigger LOL.

I have not one .mobi as all the decent keywords have long gone and i had no chance of getting them and my stance is still the same until i SEE otherwise.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
.mobi is an unnecessary TLD that shoves its existance into the mobile/cell market. However, as I explained in another lengthy discussion, if you believe .mobi is about the future of cellphones you forget that future phones will be web-ready, having built-in capabilities of full-fledged browsers. Even the bandwidth restrictions will be lowered. In other words, there is nothing a .com won't do for your cellphone of the near future. The end-result of the .mobi introduction: under the false pretence of a mobile-specific namespace, it simply created a TLD with the full range of keywords available. That's what the rush over major keywords is all about - NOT because those who registered them have anything in mind for the mobile market. The .mobi TLD will become obsolete the moment the first cellphones with advanced features hit the market. And this will happen sooner than you might expect. Google announced its initiative of "free cellphones" yesterday; given the terrifying footprint of Google's finances, as soon as this is scaled out all new cellphones will have advanced web mobility built in as a standard feature.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .mobi TLD will become obsolete the moment the first cellphones with advanced features hit the market.

i gotta agree with this part... just like back in 1995 computers and the internet itself was slow and now you can watch streaming video and music instantly...this would have blew my mind back then while i was watching things download at a rate of 2kb/sec

probably only a matter of time before cellphones download at an acceptable rate and .mobi is no longer needed... not that its needed now, but as a marketing tool it could succeed for a while..sit back and watch the show

the only way .mobi would be permanent IMO is if it was so ingrained in the minds of the public that they just could not forget about it.... thats a longshot i think

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi is an unnecessary TLD that shoves its existance into the mobile/cell market. However, as I explained in another lengthy discussion, if you believe .mobi is about the future of cellphones you forget that future phones will be web-ready, having built-in capabilities of full-fledged browsers. Even the bandwidth restrictions will be lowered. In other words, there is nothing a .com won't do for your cellphone of the near future. The end-result of the .mobi introduction: under the false pretence of a mobile-specific namespace, it simply created a TLD with the full range of keywords available. That's what the rush over major keywords is all about - NOT because those who registered them have anything in mind for the mobile market. The .mobi TLD will become obsolete the moment the first cellphones with advanced features hit the market. And this will happen sooner than you might expect. Google announced its initiative of "free cellphones" yesterday; given the terrifying footprint of Google's finances, as soon as this is scaled out all new cellphones will have advanced web mobility built in as a standard feature.

Hi Acro,
i know what you're saying in some ways. I agree, nothing is Black & White though.
A key point against your argument is that Google are one of the backers of .mobi!
Again, it is in the backers interest to make .mobi the default option... i.e the phone companies.the backers
We need to wait & see, simple as.
The million dolar question is, if it get's trumped, outdated etc......when?
A month, a year, a decade? Ever?
Pred :cell:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

TLD's are like any other business, driven by demand and supply. There is obviously a demand for new TLD's, even if the only market they serve is for resellers-to-resellers. However, every once and a while one comes along with a bit more substance to it. I believe .mobi is one of these... and here's why:
….
You raise an interesting point. I am really starting to wonder if there is a *real* demand for new TLDs.
If you look at the TLDs introduced over the recent years most have failed miserably with the exception of .info maybe. .biz has never been truly accepted, and .aero .museum .pro .etc do not count that much as they are little known outside domaining circles.
They have not grown at a brisk rate either and are definitely not catching up.
Still the good ole' .com now has 57 mio .com names registered and growing. Obviously the strongest demand resides in the established namespaces.
I think ICANN should draw the lessons from the past before even approving more extensions. So far they are fostering confusion more than "stability of the Internet" (their motto).

In the case of .mobi we have a branding TLD that was put forward by an industry. Not going to argue about how .mobi is supposed to be different, that I know.
But I doubt there was public demand for such a TLD. It is safe to assume that what mobile Internet users need foremost is better devices, cheaper airfare, and last but not least relevant content/services.
It's not really a technical issue and that is why I don't think a dedicated TLD is the best way to boost mobile Internet... It will do little if anything.
I would not be surprised to see the whole thing vanish like an "effet de mode".
It has been said earlier that if the industry instils the whole thing into the public mindset they eventually will get used to it (marketing brainwash). Well I think people need more than brilliant marketing to adopt a technology. The technology must deliver its promises.

Jungle

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The .mobi TLD will become obsolete the moment the first cellphones with advanced features hit the market. And this will happen sooner than you might expect. Google announced its initiative of "free cellphones" yesterday; given the terrifying footprint of Google's finances, as soon as this is scaled out all new cellphones will have advanced web mobility built in as a standard feature.

What you are failing to consider here is that while the cellphones might be ready the networks will not be... the upgrades to base station technology that are still required across even developed countries such as the UK mean that we'll all be surfing over slow connections for many years to come.. current common denominator rule on mobile bandwidth is to test functionality/useability over 14.4kbps!!!

The carriers will want to prove there's a market before they invest heavily in wider, more reliable bandwidth. .Mobi is about creating a market of willing users in order to get the ball rolling... maybe in 6-7 years time you'll be sitting on a train with a Mini PC, high-res 4" screen surfing a .com over a 2-meg connection. Between there and now there's a big gap that .Mobi is just itching a fill...

All IMHO of course...

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you are failing to consider here is that while the cellphones might be ready the networks will not be... the upgrades to base station technology that are still required across even developed countries such as the UK mean that we'll all be surfing over slow connections for many years to come.. current common denominator rule on mobile bandwidth is to test functionality/useability over 14.4kbps!!!

The carriers will want to prove there's a market before they invest heavily in wider, more reliable bandwidth. .Mobi is about creating a market of willing users in order to get the ball rolling... maybe in 6-7 years time you'll be sitting on a train with a Mini PC, high-res 4" screen surfing a .com over a 2-meg connection. Between there and now there's a big gap that .Mobi is just itching a fill...

All IMHO of course...

Jungle,
i love it when you talk dirty! :ear:
Predator

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I hate .mobi. I just sold all of my 3 letter .mobis for a low of 400% and a high of 2000% profit. Boohoo.

Be wise with your .oddtld and .cctld purchases and you can make money. If you register crap you will lose money.

Lord knows I've regged a lot of crap in the past 5 years.

JoeDev

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
today, web applications and sites made with asp.net for example are ready to detect the browser and device of the visitor, and present the content and layout correctly. because this, you don't need a subdomain.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Choose your argument: it's either "forward with technology and .mobi is needed" or "we don't have the infrastructure yet".

If it's the former, .mobi will become obsolete as soon as cellphones get new features; Moore's Law predicts that every 18 months this threshold is reached.

If it's the latter, then why the rush with using a cellphone to access full-fledged web sites? Broadband wifi is already here and super-mini laptops are affordable.

If I get a wristwatch cellphone I won't be typing cnn.mobi

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
think of developing countries too though. Billions own cellphones but not pcs. Even if you go to the South of France you'll struggle to find a wifi signal let alone Africa or Asia.
You need to think outside NYC or London.
I was reading a fascinating article about migrant remittances the other day,how they send hundreds of billions home via moneytransfers. All the banks are clammering for action.
Fact is for ages millions of South Africans have done banking on cells.
Millions don't even have bank accounts, like you & me do.
It's a diverse world & mobile internet makes sense. Of that there is no doubt, let's just see if the extension stays. Noone knows.
cheers
Predator

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
today, web applications and sites made with asp.net for example are ready to detect the browser and device of the visitor, and present the content and layout correctly. because this, you don't need a subdomain.

Finally a voice of wisdom in a sea of mud.

Hmmmm. I hate .mobi. I just sold all of my 3 letter .mobis for a low of 400% and a high of 2000% profit. Boohoo.

So you turned $30 into $120?

You only need to sell 1,000 more I guess.

duskdawn

DN.CC
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way.

It's all about making money. No one wanted .mobi to make leaps and bounds in the use of the net on mobile devices. No one petitioned for it, no one even gave a flying poop.

I have money, I get a name approved I know I will make money by charging a high enough fee to make it worth while, convince other's they will make money. Domainers are suckers in general, hype creates sales..bingo!

The aftermath is here nor there to these people. Sure it will get used, developed etc...that was a nice after effect. Its all about sales. The market was there, smart investment.

That's what I want to say. Thanks for making my typing easy. :amen:

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best I can really see FOR the .mobi argument is that the backers may influence the way phone browsers behave. Only to the simple extent of perhaps defaulting a type-in URL of e.g. 'loans' to go to http://www.loans.mobi or whatever. The counter-argument advocated by Acroplex is also one to consider seriously; in 18 months this could all be moot as phone browsers will evolve anyway.

The only thread to hang on to is that there's only so much real estate on a mobile screen. But then again, check out the browser in a Nokia E61/E62 and you'll see that this problem has already been addressesed with features that allow scrolling over a virtual, zoomed screen.

You can check out this 'zooming and mini-map' ability here:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-webbrowser-en.shtml

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best I can really see FOR the .mobi argument is that the backers may influence the way phone browsers behave. Only to the simple extent of perhaps defaulting a type-in URL of e.g. 'loans' to go to http://www.loans.mobi or whatever. The counter-argument advocated by Acroplex is also one to consider seriously; in 18 months this could all be moot as phone browsers will evolve anyway.

The only thread to hang on to is that there's only so much real estate on a mobile screen. But then again, check out the browser in a Nokia E61/E62 and you'll see that this problem has already been addressesed with features that allow scrolling over a virtual, zoomed screen.

You can check out this 'zooming and mini-map' ability here:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-webbrowser-en.shtml

Want to see that in action?

http://emulator.mtld.mobi/emulator.php?webaddress=www.muf.mobi&emulator=nokiaN70

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had a Nokia E61 for the past 6 months. While the built in browser isn't perfect, it does solve the realestate issue with it's scrolling zone capability. Complex pages render without a problem. I've negotiated deals on sedo, checked weather.com, in fact I'm writing this post with it. It does fail for pages with flash, heavy javascript, and asp pages that access an activeX lib. The wifi capability is sweet too.

In short, the Nokia E61 is the first in a wave of .mobi killers. IMHO, the creation of this tld is superfluous. I have far more confidence in the success of .tv.

As for the current marketplace for .mobis, it is real in the confines of dnf and np. But, I expect the fad to die-out within 3 mos.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And there might be more to come. Can you believe that .mobi was proposed over 1.5 years ago!

Groups Request .xxx, .mobi Domain Names

POSTED: 3:13 p.m. EST March 22, 2004

By the end of the year, there could be some new top-level domain names on the Internet to go along with common URL enders like .com, .org and .edu.

Those suffixes, which are assigned and approved by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, have remained the same since 2000.

Those who want a Web site or e-mail address with one of the new endings would have to apply to the group selected to administer the domain for permission. Some would be limited to specific types of content, such as adult-oriented businesses or content for mobile devices like wireless phones and personal digital assistants.

The 10 groups applied for nine new domains:
.asia
.cat
.jobs
.mail
.mobi
.post
.tel
.travel
.xxx

If approved -- there is a public comment period in April -- the names could become active by the end of 2004.

In 2000, .aero, .biz, .coop, .info, .museum, .name and .pro came into being.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom