Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The great domain extension scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.MOBI is coming out to be marketed to the average idiot.

The average idiot does not know the difference beetween www.yahoo.com and wap.yahoo.com nor do they care to. Most don't even know they can view websites on their mobile phone. Once marketed, all they need to know is anything.MOBI will work on a cell phone browser.

If the cell phone consortium behind .mobi decide to shove it down cell phone users throats by locking the next generation of mobile browsers to .MOBI than the average idiot won't even need to be able to remember the extention, they won't have a choice.

If a court decides that manufacturers can't force .MOBI on everyone than the mobile service providers can do it for them by restricting access.

Seems like the perfect storm to me.

bingo again.. i think the problem most domainers/web savvy people are having with .mobi is that it does not make sense..

some people that use aol dont even know how to use the internet without all those predefined buttons and crap...

my stance is it doesnt matter what makes sense if the big boys want it to happen.. just grab a piece of the pie and wait and see.. a lot of people are confusing what they want to happen or what should happen with what COULD actually happen..

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
exactly! & why would .mobi just stop at mobile phones?
what about screens in the back of car headrests, hgv lorries etc having them on the dash etc
lots of people spend their lives on the roads.
people in mobile homes, campers etc
not just for playing games, but movies, researching things. in fact all the things we do from a fixed base.
.mobi is unlike any other extension before as it's not just an extension.
i wish i'd bought far more of these & far less other cctlds a few years back.
it's gonna happen.i don't & most others don't have all their eggs in one basket anyway.for those that have, i think they'll prob be laughing in the coming years. i plan to reg a few more tonight. just a couple more. please sir! LOL (IT'S NOT JUST .MOBI, I CAN'T STOP REGGING FULL STOP!)
HELPPP!
Pred :humble:

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
people in mobile homes
What are you saying, people like me can't have real PCs? I have a trailer at this point in my life, but that does not mean I don't have a PC too.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol.. i think he meant "people on the road with mobile homes/trailers"

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By mobile i meant 'mobile' 'on the move'
There's nothing wrong with living in a mobile home or trailer as you call them in the US.
In fact i just sold my mobile home (which was static-in position) in the south of France for peanuts, incidentally.
There's all you need in a mobile home. I love that life!
But anyway, onto the point, i bet you have a fixed line internet connection to your pc & your trailer is in fact static, permanently in position? Yes?
I am talking about people who are travelling, but also at many 'mobile home' sites in Europe, they are not for permanent living, but for long holidays.
As a result people are not always allowed a fixed line on site. After all a laptop would be easy to take.
Instead you have to use the 'sites facility' Internet 'cafe' 8.5 euros per hour!
Also many truckers, live on the road. How good for them to have all they need in their mobile.
I think the potential is HUGE.
I hope it works.
Pred
nb: don't be so tetchy Mr.Deleted LOL

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By mobile i meant 'mobile' 'on the move'
There's nothing wrong with living in a mobile home or trailer as you call them in the US.
In fact i just sold my mobile home (which was static-in position) in the south of France for peanuts, incidentally.
There's all you need in a mobile home. I love that life!
But anyway, onto the point, i bet you have a fixed line internet connection to your pc & your trailer is in fact static, permanently in position? Yes?
I am talking about people who are travelling, but also at many 'mobile home' sites in Europe, they are not for permanent living, but for long holidays.
As a result people are not always allowed a fixed line on site. After all a laptop would be easy to take.
Instead you have to use the 'sites facility' Internet 'cafe' 8.5 euros per hour!
Also many truckers, live on the road. How good for them to have all they need in their mobile.
I think the potential is HUGE.
I hope it works.
Pred
nb: don't be so tetchy Mr.Deleted LOL

np, anyway, I have a Direct Service Line or DSL to my computer. And yes, my trailer is "permanently in position" since around the time I was born... lol it is old, I don't think anyone would want to move it!

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobile home...lmao

I still dont know what in the world we need a .mobi for to have use of the internet in these forms.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 9
interesting that this thread is still going strong. I don't see any need for it either, but I guess that if somone wants to invest in it, they can. But if you buy 10,000 dollar's worth, then why not make a real site network on them? Get some return on your investment if you are going to invest heavily in this.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
btw, I am making a site for wap users, and no, I am not spending the cash on the .mobi, rather on a 2nd .com name

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
btw, I am making a site for wap users, and no, I am not spending the cash on the .mobi, rather on a 2nd .com name
IMO, this much self confidence almost brushes border with arrogance....A prudent person would have hard time with this approach unless the effort and time one is spending on develpoment is not even worth 25 bucks....Good Luck with your project.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread has stopped being of any use to the community.

Those who invested heavily in .mobi's are claiming they will soon rule the 'net and those who had any sense and decided to stay away from this extension are claiming its doomed.

I guess we shall see in a few years time who was right, but until then this thread seems to have lost its way.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread has stopped being of any use to the community.

Those who invested heavily in .mobi's are claiming they will soon rule the 'net and those who had any sense and decided to stay away from this extension are claiming its doomed.

I guess we shall see in a few years time who was right, but until then this thread seems to have lost its way.

Who that has invested heavily is claiming that?

What do you consider heavily, a couple thousand dollars?

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just curious why the "pro .mobi" threads have been moved to the new .mobi section and the "anti .mobi" sections still thrive throughout the entire forum?

Mistake or intent?

Hmmm....

GoPC

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi has its purpose. I didnt get any premium ones but I'm happy to buy one if the time comes that I need one in particular. I've gotten a few personal ones which I'm pleased with and one to protect the interests of my bigger projects.

I believe in developement and .mobi is only another opportunity to reach an audience.

Jack

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi has its purpose. I didnt get any premium ones but I'm happy to buy one if the time comes that I need one in particular. I've gotten a few personal ones which I'm pleased with and one to protect the interests of my bigger projects.

I believe in developement and .mobi is only another opportunity to reach an audience.

Jack

To some extent true.. I agree with you Jack...

Any domain has it's value only when developed.. Domains are meant to be developed..

but still .mobi :cell: sucks lol..

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

MikeinFlorida

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with the majority here 008!

Some of these extenions have Gone Wild! And wild just for the bucks, but then again people said nobody would make much with the LLLL and many did. The hype is what gets 10,000 names last I read a day sold and face it most of the names really are not good. It takes quite a while to learn this business or game if you will and many will buy an expensive education.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is anybody else getting sick of new extensions targeted to suckers?

Hasn't anybody ever heard of simple creating a WAP subdomain, i.e. http://wap.yahoo.com/ ?.......

WAP is not widely used in Japan so to make the mobile more diverse, the .mobi was introduced. So far at my company, it is doing well, slowly, but perhaps it may accelerate or not. Only time will tell. Lets check back on this within the coming year.

:juggle:

Jungle

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My portfolio consists of 400+ domains and 50% of these are .mobi's. You could therefore argue that any stand I take on .mobi will be biased.

TLD's are like any other business, driven by demand and supply. There is obviously a demand for new TLD's, even if the only market they serve is for resellers-to-resellers. However, every once and a while one comes along with a bit more substance to it. I believe .mobi is one of these... and here's why:

1. .mobi is backed by organisations that can influence its success. A collection of handset manufacturers and providers that, it's safe to assume , have done more research than anyone on these boards as to the impact this particular initiative is going to have on them. Voice revenue will be superseded by data revenue in the coming years fundamentally changing aspects of all these businesses, they know this and that's why they're backing it.

2. In terms of the consumer, .mobi is about 'assurance'. Sure, technically there is no need for a new TLD but it's not about 'wap.this.com' or 'mob.that.com'. It's about telling the end-user that if they stick to .mobi sites when surfing on their phone that their experience will be assured by a strict set of guidelines. They won't be afforded this if every .com owner implements a different 'mobile-friendly' equivalent. The most important aspect of the guidelines, in my opinion, is download sizing. In comparison to PC-based internet access, mobile surfing costs a fortune at present. Even in 3-4 years time I can't imagine many students out there wanting to risk spending 10p or 20p more than they have to when surfing on their mobile phones. With effective consumer marketing of .mobi these points can be reinforced in the public consciousness.

3. In many ways it's now down to us. We probably have just as much of a say in how .mobi works out as the big boys. They continue to work on providing the infrastructure and the hardware and we're here to provide the unique services and the content.

I mentioned earlier that I own a 'healthy' (there is that bias again!) set of .mobi’s. In 2007 I will be singling out around 5-10% of these as development projects. I’ve considered important aspects of how I expect mobile-surfing to be used, at least in the early stages, and I will prioritize my efforts in accordance with those considerations.

I urge all those out there to do the same… I know I’m starting to sound like Churchill but this is a war-cry of sorts. Don’t be a ‘shoulda, woulda, coulda’. Consider an investment, DYOR (hit a trader forum if you’ve not seen that before), consider others opinions but frame them correctly. That’s why I told you where I’m coming from in sentence 1, so I can’t be accused of being some underhand .mobi evangelist. I’m here to make some money doing what I love, just like the rest of you….

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom