Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Next Big Invesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First it was 3 letter .coms, then .nets, then .orgs. Is it finally time to start investing in 4 letter .coms?

A little over 400,000 combinations, but almost 3/4's are taken.

Views and opinions please.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it would be better to invest in the 3 letter .info's/.us/.biz before the 4 letter .com. Unless the 4 letter .com is a word or the abbreviations for many organizations, I don't think they're worth investing in. It's still a good idea to invest in the 3 letter .com/.net/.org, if you can b/c they still haven't reached their peak..

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree with dvestors. I've had many 4 letters before and most were never good for anything more than reselling to other domainers. I can only think of two of them off the top of my head that did receive offers, ATWS.com and ATOT.com. Anything with Q, Y, Z in them should immediately be discarded. I don't ever think will see a day when YZQX.com sells for a minimum of $500 or $1,000 just because it's 4 letters long. I still don't see the value in 3 letter .coms like YZQ.com either. They can't possibly be good for anything but reselling to other domain investors. The fact that most of the 3 letter .coms still being bought and sold today contain 1 or more of those characters strongly supports this point as well. If there were big companies that could utilize such names they would have bought them up long ago. For the 4 letters, acronyms that end in CO, C, S, etc.. are worth looking into. If google results and overture searches look outstanding then they are worth registering and hanging on to. Otherwise, don't bother. They are a highly selective investment.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets be realistic here. There are only 17,576 .com, 17,576 .net and 17,576 .org, but there are 456,976 4 letter .com's ...not exactly rare eh, especially with tens of thousands still unregistered. As for investing alternatly in 3 letter .info's/.us/.biz...why don't you just buy some swampland ... it would be about as good of an investment. IMHO.

Shaun

PS ... of course you could do something real bold and buy traffuc domains that earn income "now" and will continue to provide you with a revenue stream in the future. But hey, that's just a thought...

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, i agree with shaun.

and duncan... they are left for a reason..... guess why? cause they are crap!

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I remember when 3 letter .com combos were available, and someone said exacly the same ^_^

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Again, they're a very selective investment. Most of them are junk, but not all.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aactive said:
As for investing alternatly in 3 letter .info's/.us/.biz...why don't you just buy some swampland ... it would be about as good of an investment. IMHO.
I was saying it would be better for a person to invest in 3 letter .info's,.us,.biz. than a 4 letter .com if you're on that type of low budget.

Obviously if you're "investing" on those kind of names..you don't have enough to spend on decent traffic names or 3 letter .com's/net/org..

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
I remember when 3 letter .com combos were available, and someone said exacly the same ^_^

yes .. and I remember years ago when some people said .cc. .to, .ws and similar were basically worthless ... and you know what.. they still are!

If you are are limited funds, it makes no sense to invest in a bunch of crappy or worthless names. Save up and start to buy low end traffic names one at a time, and start building some revenue streams. Do this for a couple of years and you will be amazed at where you end up .. REALLY!!!

If you can make $0.50 cents a day, you can make a dollar a day, If You can a dollar a day, you can make $5 a day. If you can make $5 a day, you can make $50 a day... and so on and so on. It just takes some time, but it CAN be done, as many have done it and are doing it. It just takes discipline and some hard work.

It beats spinning your wheels in this business like many do.

... my 2 bits.

Shaun

PS ... people that prefer to dream and wish on "maybe" and "what if" can ignore this post.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The next big investments are blood, blood plasma, antibiotics, bleach, water, and canned food.

In what we are about to call "what was New Orleans".

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how about neworleans8292005.com

$$$$$$

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you just now started investing in 4-letter .com domains, you're a little late in the game. I've sold 4-letter .com domains in the past few years for up to $1,500 - they ended up becoming names of active companies.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
If you just now started investing in 4-letter .com domains, you're a little late in the game. I've sold 4-letter .com domains in the past few years for up to $1,500 - they ended up becoming names of active companies.
Radistar always beats us to the punch ;-)

dragonhawk

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think all .cc, .to and .ws domains are worthless... they can be turned into something good, especially if you have a good name associated with them. Would be easier to get them up the search engines too, if they have the right keywords in the domain.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
like diamonds, 4 letter combinations are way more 'common and abundant' so they hold way less value than the more rare 2/3 letter combinations.

still, there are a few companies/organizations out there that have 4 words in their corporate identity and if you happen to have a domain that matches you could get lucky like radistar has proven.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't believe four letter domains will be what you call the "next big
investment". They're not as rare as two and three letter domains, so
their value will always be quite limited. In addition, it's unlikely many
companies will use four letter/number combinations for their corporate
identity. There are only few companies who do that compared to three
letter acronyms. However, you can be lucky and register or buy a good
letter combination which might be valuable to a specific company, as
said before. I don't invest in four letter domains personally though, due
to their comparably low value.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
If you just now started investing in 4-letter .com domains, you're a little late in the game.

When I started 5 years ago, I almost thought that 4-letter .coms were the only names worth going after as I couldn't afford 3 letters.

I saw two 4 letter .coms on whois.sc which were apparently for sale at sedo for $60. I put in my offers and got the reply that the price was US$50,000 and this was the last offer!!! I think those prices are unrealistic, but that's beside the point.

And back to the subject. I don't think 4-letter.com will be the next big investment. There are opportunities for profit, but work is needed and as said earlier, there is a lot of junk.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
The next big investments are blood, blood plasma, antibiotics, bleach, water, and canned food.

In what we are about to call "what was New Orleans".

cough antibiotics.net cough (pun intended)
:cheeky:

also have
chlorines.com
:cheeky:

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .us and .info and good extensions to get into. I am not sure 3 character names on these extensions will ever be good reseller fodder like tzq.us but I personally registered about 40 names (all crap). I am not trying to build a decent .info portfolio.

I don't believe in the long term aspects of domain parking. It seems fragile as a market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom