Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The Next Big Invesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that 4 letter .com's ending in RE (Real Estate) and I (Incorporated) would be good to register.

Domain Summit 2024

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said:
I don't believe in the long term aspects of domain parking. It seems fragile as a market.

Why is it fragile?

The way I see it, at least with domains paked on PPC pages, it will lead surfers to what there are looking for. Unlike the widespread manipulation of the search engine results that often leads to everything but what you are looking for.

Whether it is PPC or Search Engines, if you give the people what they are looking for, it ill be successful now and in the future. IMHO.

Shaun

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aactive said:
Why is it fragile?

I think the big PPC players (Google, Yahoo) will try to take a bigger and bigger chunk of the revenue of ads being served to partner sites. That's the main thing that worries me going forward.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it's fragile for a number of reasons.

1. The search engines don't like to index parked pages.

2. Most traffic is pulled only from type-ins or typos. Type-in domains that are good imho would do well to be developed. Typos can have a legal risk to them.

3. The competition in the PPC arena is growing. Hence the advertisers may be able to negotiate better and better deals. Which could skim the domain owner.

4. Surfers are getting wise to parked pages and while parked templates can change I can easily see surfers getting even more wise to PPC and how it's useless...thus less clicks.

5. Advertisers who use PPC may find better more targetted methods of advertising. The quality of advertisrs on PPC imho is very poor and I don't see this changing.

6. Yahoo and MSN have yet to enter the PPC full force but Yahoo has a beta and MSN is rumored. Eventually you can make more money imho with developed targetted sites running a PPC like adsense vs parking.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I think 4 letters domains are worth investing. They don't have to be a word, but should at least pronouncable. There are a lot of such acronyms out there which could attract potential buyers.

Same thing for numbers too... over the past years, I have ignored the 5 digit numbers from drops and buy a lot of 4 digit numbers if they signified the date format... guess what... most 5 digit numbers sell much higher now because it represents some zip codes in the United States... See sold domains on sedo / afternic for examples...

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said ...I believe it's fragile for a number of reasons.

1. The search engines don't like to index parked pages.

Those that have type-in names don't need to be indexed by search engines. And besides, who cares if you indexed and are found on pages 10 - 10,000 of the search engine as 99.999% of sites are.

2. Most traffic is pulled only from type-ins or typos. Type-in domains that are good imho would do well to be developed. Typos can have a legal risk to them.

Sure type-in names would be worth more developed ... but that sound like work and many don't want to ceate a "job". Plus, there's plenty of time for development for those that want to.

3. The competition in the PPC arena is growing. Hence the advertisers may be able to negotiate better and better deals. Which could skim the domain owner.

I think the opposite is true. As more and more advertisers and more and more advertising dollars come into the market, PPC income is going to go up, not down. The companies that delivery the best quality traffic, will be the leaders.

4. Surfers are getting wise to parked pages and while parked templates can change I can easily see surfers getting even more wise to PPC and how it's useless...thus less clicks.

Useless? .. please!! Most PPC pages from the major suppliers deliver very relevant content and links to what surfers are looking for. Very often better than the so called "Search Engine" results.

5. Advertisers who use PPC may find better more targetted methods of advertising. The quality of advertisrs on PPC imho is very poor and I don't see this changing.

Huh? ... see answer number 3.

6. Yahoo and MSN have yet to enter the PPC full force but Yahoo has a beta and MSN is rumored. Eventually you can make more money imho with developed targetted sites running a PPC like adsense vs parking.

Ummm... Yahoo just months ago bought "Overture" ... so I think they are already in "full force". I guess by buying the biggest player in the PPC business they saw a decent future. Again, if someone with type-in domains wanted to develop "targetted sites" with Adsense, they could... but again that sounds like they're creating work for themselves.

One thing that's nice about generic type-ins names. You have MANY options on what to do... because they come with built in traffic, which can be instantly turned in revenue streams.

Shaun

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have always looked at 4 letter and 3 letter domain names the same way. Both can be equally as good. For example:

SONY.com sounds better than WKJ.com

but, IBM.com, CNN.com, CBS.com, ABC.com, are all better than EDKF.com

Really it comes down to how they sound. There are many 4 letters that I would prefer over a 3 letter. There are many 4 letter domain names that are worth a lot of money.

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3 letter .infos are probably a good investment IMHO. They typically sell for $50-60 on eBay.

daddypi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The next best investment: solid generic .info domains.

daddypi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
.info was ruined when they started giving them out for free.

Gotta love people who think that. Well - that's alright, I'll make sure to laugh all the way to the bank. :cheeky:

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Re: The Next Big Invesment

As your title above shows, the next big investment is typos.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
typo is already a big investment. It is all time good investment :)

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gotta love people who think that. Well - that's alright, I'll make sure to laugh all the way to the bank.

Just becuase you may own "Many" .info's doesn't change the price in many domainers and resellers minds.

daddypi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
Just becuase you may own "Many" .info's doesn't change the price in many domainers and resellers minds.

You need to learn to think for yourself.. look around. .info is already making an impact on the industry.

It's a very common misconception that the .info "giveaway" negatively impacted the value of the extension. The good ones were already registered previous to that giveaway, thus they retained (and increased) in value.

But you know more than the many large .info investors/portfolio holders.. right?

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need to learn to think for yourself.. look around. .info is already making an impact on the industry.

It's a very common misconception that the .info "giveaway" negatively impacted the value of the extension. The good ones were already registered previous to that giveaway, thus they retained (and increased) in value.

But you know more than the many large .info investors/portfolio holders.. right?

Just wait and see, and when something happens, remind me of this thread.

Thanks ;)

daddypi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
Just wait and see, and when something happens, remind me of this thread.

Thanks ;)

Yes Sir Duncan, you truly are a wise sage...a prophet of the domain industry.

Perhaps you could be a bit more vague.. "when something happens".

That's like saying, maybe someday the domain industry will change.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
daddypi said:
It's a very common misconception that the .info "giveaway" negatively impacted the value of the extension. The good ones were already registered previous to that giveaway, thus they retained (and increased) in value.QUOTE]

Just keep saying this over and over again, and soon you will even believe it!

Shaun

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it was a good investment for everybody who bought up all the good keywords a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators