Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign to auction domin names: WLS to be approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...damn Verisign sure is the devil!

i mean,how for heaven's sake can it be legal that Verisign/Netsol not only controls the registry,doesn't release expired names for years but in addition to that shall be allowed to keep expired names and auction them?! Microsoftish monopoly i say - even worse.
Now let's see who is the organization that has to decide on that matter - oh,it's ICANN, another reincarnation of the evil.Again,how can it be democratic (in an international sense) that such important matters can be decided by ICANN? Remember,this is the organization that actually has responsibility for the TECHNICAL aspects but has interfered in the CNNews.com case when asked by CNN without having a legal legitimation for doing so.
All in all neither ICANN or Verisign should be allowed to do what and how they do anymore.

the WLS is not an auction - its a fixed wholesale price parallel registry.

ICANN has a real problem with "mission creep".

Resolved [02.55] that the Board invites public comments on VeriSign's request and directs that a suitable mechanism be established for allowing comments to be submitted over the Internet to ICANN for at least a thirty-day period; and

Resolved [02.56] that the Board invites comments on VeriSign's request at the Public Comment Forum to be held on 27 June 2002 in Bucharest, Romania.

VeriSign WLS Proposal

Whereas, on 21 March 2002 VeriSign, Inc., the operator of the .com and .net registries, requested amendments to the registry agreements for those top-level domains to allow it to charge registrars an annual subscription fee of US$35.00 (with rebates of US$7.00 or US$11.00 depending on volume) for providing a proposed wait-listing service (WLS);

basically, i gather that VeriSign seeks ammendments.. allowing them to land the WLS service
ie: CHARGING REGISTARS an $35 annual fee for
'Waiting List Service' a list of names, which are waiting to drop.

ludicrus... they are just GREEDY..

M

mike

UCANT has met all over the planet, in places like Guano. Next Bucharest. When are they going to have enough nerve to meet in the eastern U.S.? Hopefully, the new Administration in Washington will wise up and instruct the DOC (dept. of commerce) to dissolve UCANT.

Originally posted by mike
UCANT has met all over the planet, in places like Guano. Next Bucharest. When are they going to have enough nerve to meet in the eastern U.S.? Hopefully, the new Administration in Washington will wise up and instruct the DOC (dept. of commerce) to dissolve UCANT.

U CAN register
UCANT.us

but..... UCANT.com

is already reg'd by 'Deluxe Domains' out of HongKong..

i say, you should snag the UCANT.us :D

or maybe UCANN.com may be available. :D

or WECANN

or THEYCANT.com :D :D

M

mike

Mark your calenders. ICANN's next meeting is June 27th, 2002 in Bucharest, Romania. I encourage everyone to preregister. You can participate by remote video via their site.

Watch them live as they try to seize control of the namespace for their generous corporate sponsors by diminishing the rights of individuals and small businesses everywhere.

C

cheetah

Hurry up and do it already verisign, and stop talking about it.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>Hurry up and do it already verisign, and stop talking about it.

Why? Do you honestly think you'll have achance at getting anything decent?

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course. The current system is a total sham.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>Yes, of course. The current system is a total sham.

If the WLS gets adopted you newbies can kiss goodbye ANY chance of getting anything decent. At least now you have a chance of bidding for something via NW.

What you must realise is that there are some big players out there, with lots of throw-away money that will be used to buy up all the WLS subs on ANYTHING DECENT likely to drop in the next year. They're the guys that get most of the good names now.

And yes, we've already build our lists, and are putting Snaps on all of them in case they do grandfather those.

So if you don't think the WLS is a BAD THING, you need to change your opinion and fight it for all it's worth. I'm fighting it tooth and nail.

If it goes through I won't be to blame, but I'll be rich(er) because of it.

Most of you will need to get new jobs.

I don't know - I like the idea of being able to plan on owning a name if I have the WLS, and I know that the owner is out of business or has incorrect contact info and cannot renew.

I'm tired of simultaneously using Snap, NW, Expirefish, and my own devices to go after a name I want, and still sometimes missing it to the Koreans, Ultsearch, or Buydomains.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, I would rather have one place monopolize grabbing drops than deal with SnapNames and several other firms and my own efforts.

That's why I am in favor of WLS but too bad screwed up and poor cust support NetSol will be handling it.

It seems places like SnapNames usually manage to grab the marginal names for me but almost always lose out on the real good names. :mad:

Usually BuyDomains.com grabs it first, or sometimes a Korean or Chinese firm gets it. WLS will level the playing field and is a good idea.

As I understand it, WLS will be sold to registrars like domain names. I think that an end user never has to deal with anyone but the registrar he or she buys the WLS from. Is this correct?

Does BuyDomains own some registrars? Lately, Buydomains has been acquiring a ton of names-more even than they used to. It looks to me like they might have bought Domainzoo, and maybe part of a few other little registrars. Anyone out there in the know please enlighten me.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Your rational is ridiculous. The 'big players' are not going to blindly place ALL their money on ALL possible WLS subscriptions. It is stupid to believe that. If that were the case, they would already be placing ALL their money on ALL snapbacks, which they are not doing. Yeah, I see you fighting it 'tooth and nail', and you support the rip off registrars like Signature Domains, Namewinner, enom, etc. Those are crooks in this current shame, and Signature and Enom do not even publish their policies on their drop getting policy. That right there tells anyone that Enom and Signature operate backroom bull***t tactics to try to compete. But the likes you claim this is 'fair play' and a 'competive market' at work! Yeah, go ahead and continue to believe that 'auctioning' the following sample of names

Performance.com $12,000+ (Signature Domains)
Rok.com $5,000.00+ (Signature Domains)
Playgirl.com $11,000.00 (Dotster)
Tabloids.com $3,000.00 (Dotster)
Compare.com $5,000.00+ (Dotster)
acts.com $3,000.00+ (Dotster)

is even 'fair' according to ICANN's very own rules of 'bad faith'. Yes, the current system is a total sham. WLS, now and forever. The 'big players' have not beaten me on snapback placements, and they will not beat me on WLS placements, guaranteed.

Firstly, its not the domain thats auctioned its the service to attempt to acquire it. Thats why its not a breach of the accreditation agreement.

Drew makes sense, and its something I've been saying for a long time too - people who think the WLS will help those outside of the doman business are being very short sighted. Domain people have the time, knowledge and resources to mine for the best names to register via the WLS - they also know the returns they can make.

The scraps will make it further down the food chain - but the cream of the crop will be taken by the same people who do it now. The WLS is nothing other than a means for Verisign to generate revenue from drops.

The big players don't currently rely on snapbacks - they have their registrar direct contacts etc - but when WLS becomes the only game in town expect for a very different environment.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The current system is rotten AND the WLS is rotten,too.Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators