Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

discussion What do you register after .com is taken?

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

What do you register after .com?

• Longer .com

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • .net

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • .org

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ccTLD for your country

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • New gTLD

• Nothing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interested to know what domain extensions people register if the .com they want is taken?

I have my own preferences but I'm interested to hear others thoughts.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i would consider a longer .com, maybe three or four words if appropriate
but that would depend on the keywords of the name.

might even consider .org, if it was relevant.

imo...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't up there: It's usually neither shorter or longer, but an alternative in .com.

Ex: FunWarehouse.com is taken but MerryWerehouse.com isn't. Bad example as the latter could have a Christmas connotation but didn't want to spend 30 minutes finding one. :p

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I would say as Amplify and Biggie: Different / Variation / Longer .com (Longer only if Different and Variation don't get anything good). By "variation", I mean "Get...", "The..", etc. Not really "longer", but still a bit.
Maybe ccTLD if the project is indeed linked to a country (often NOT the case)
Alternatively, I like .info or even .site and maybe .xyz (rather than the rest)

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
I was looking to register Navigator.com a few hours ago and it was taken as were the .net and .org. However I was able to register one of the few new gTLD's that were available Navigator.Online. Probably a stupid move, but when I saw that Nameworth valued Navigator.com for three million dollars I thought I might take a leap of faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Depending on the used words and field of interest, some names are good in org, net or even io but I would look for something longer in com first, however recently with the MetaVerse mania there was a name in com taken so I decided to reg the net one.
For wikipedia related websites i have reg most in org but also longer in com just for redirection to be used.
I have only one xyz domain and had to pay almost 100USD for a registrar premium 3L word, but hope it will pay off the investment, I don't plan to reg other xyz names.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have only one xyz domain and had to pay almost 100USD for a registrar premium 3L
They wanted a couple grand (with the same renewal) for my daughter's 4 letter uncommon first name. 😬

Got lucky there. Also, forgot that I own one xyz domain, but I think I'm still at 99.9% com ownership.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i would consider a longer .com, maybe three or four words if appropriate
You believe a longer .com is always best?
but that would depend on the keywords of the name.
I'm launching a website on a .net domain. We will see if I regret it. 🤷🏽‍♂️
might even consider .org, if it was relevant.

imo...
Yeah I use a .org for a charity project. I don't even know if we own the .com domain.
Mine isn't up there: It's usually neither shorter or longer, but an alternative in .com.

Ex: FunWarehouse.com is taken but MerryWerehouse.com isn't. Bad example as the latter could have a Christmas connotation but didn't want to spend 30 minutes finding one. :p
So you would do alternative .com domain @amplify?
I would say as Amplify and Biggie: Different / Variation / Longer .com (Longer only if Different and Variation don't get anything good). By "variation", I mean "Get...", "The..", etc. Not really "longer", but still a bit
I consider that longer and alternative.

I was looking to register Navigator.com a few hours ago and it was taken as were the .net and .org. However I was able to register one of the few new gTLD's that were available Navigator.Online.
Hope you didn't pay a premium @Bulloney.
Probably a stupid move, but when I saw that Nameworth valued Navigator.com for three million dollars I thought I might take a leap of faith.
Automated appraisals should not be trusted..
A different .com,
I hear you. What type of different .com domain?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hear you. What type of different .com domain?

I have a few cctld and a ntld but they all make money. I have two .net's that I registered years ago before I could afford the .com.

I used to register a lot of key words, floridarvsales.com, etc.. Now if I can't find the name I want in .com, I look for a different subject. I don't want to spend money on a compromise.

I watch the drops and will bid what I can afford. If I hand register a domain, it's usually a typo or a better version of another domain.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a few cctld and a ntld but they all make money. I have two .net's that I registered years ago before I could afford the .com.
You mean parking PPC revenue?
I used to register a lot of key words, floridarvsales.com, etc.. Now if I can't find the name I want in .com, I look for a different subject. I don't want to spend money on a compromise.
Good way to do it.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You mean parking PPC revenue?

A lot of businesses use really bad domains. Plurals, dashes, numbers, etc. I joined car dealer forum once and listened to the "experts" that provide DMS and websites. I would ask a question and a two pages of copy and pasted SEO advice.

When I pointed out one of their clients was using a domain with a dash and a competing dealership had the better domain, which meant the dealership was loosing 10% or more of their traffic to it's competitor they freaked out and asked me WTF was I doing in their forum ( wasn't their forum ).

Buying a good domain isn't just good for your business, it's good for your customers too.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you would do alternative .com domain @amplify?
I would definitely pick an alternative, whether it be longer or shorter. However, I would try not to exceed 3 words with the first being something like "the" or "a" unless it has a jingle to it to make it easy to remember or is a commonly used phrase such as "Throw caution to the wind" (throwcautiontothewind.com).

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of businesses use really bad domains. Plurals, dashes, numbers, etc. I joined car dealer forum once and listened to the "experts" that provide DMS and websites. I would ask a question and a two pages of copy and pasted SEO advice.
Most people think they know about SEO and digital marketing.

They know nothing. 🤦🏽‍♂️
When I pointed out one of their clients was using a domain with a dash and a competing dealership had the better domain, which meant the dealership was loosing 10% or more of their traffic to it's competitor they freaked out and asked me WTF was I doing in their forum ( wasn't their forum ).
I only give domain and branding advice when asked.

It's a waste of energy otherwise.
Buying a good domain isn't just good for your business, it's good for your customers too.
Agree 💯!

"A good domain is for customers and potential customers. Nobody will care as much about your brand as you." is what I say.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most people think they know about SEO and digital marketing.
The best advice is to create well-thought-out content that you would be looking for if you were to be searching for it. People don't want to put that much effort into content creation and think there's a magic recipe for getting more traffic without having good content though. So, they'll pay hundreds to thousands and might see a bump because they're using proper markup or sectioning off content better, but that's about it.

Just my opinion...

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best advice is to create well-thought-out content that you would be looking for if you were to be searching for it.
This is the way.
People don't want to put that much effort into content creation and think there's a magic recipe for getting more traffic without having good content though.
Yes. Good content requires a lot of time.

So, they'll pay hundreds to thousands and might see a bump because they're using proper markup or sectioning off content better, but that's about it.

Just my opinion...
I see this all the time from shill marketing companies. 🤦🏽‍♂️

I go with a longer version of .COM or some alterntative .COM
Why not a shorter domain @Furquan?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Content is king, next to the .com that is. That's cause the .com can still receive type-in traffic with 0 work put into it. ;)
I own two .US domains that get great type-in traffic. 😄

Usually .com domains are best for direct traffic.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom