Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion What do you register after .com is taken?

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

What do you register after .com?

• Longer .com

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • .net

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • .org

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ccTLD for your country

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • New gTLD

• Nothing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

base

Level 3
Reaction score
I would definitely consider an alternative way to word it in dot-com, but for the most part if it's a great name to begin with then most sensible alterations would likely be taken as well. I would look to see if any were for sale, for a ridiculously low price.

I like Bulloney's solution, albeit the extension seems a little redundant. Probably wouldn't go with a dot-org or a dot-net. There are great domains with those though, just a personal preference. If the name was breakable, like DomainNames, I would look to see if there was a new gTLD for it such as domain.names. Those are pretty cool.

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So longer .com @base?

I would definitely consider an alternative way to word it in dot-com, but for the most part if it's a great name to begin with then most sensible alterations would likely be taken as well. I would look to see if any were for sale, for a ridiculously low price.

Why do you think that is?

I like Bulloney's solution, albeit the extension seems a little redundant. Probably wouldn't go with a dot-org or a dot-net.

.org is the preferred extension for charities and non-profits.

There are great domains with those though, just a personal preference.

I don't like these. People don't know new Gs.

If the name was breakable, like DomainNames, I would look to see if there was a new gTLD for it such as domain.names. Those are pretty cool.

base

Level 3
Reaction score
So longer .com @base?

Why do you think that is?

.org is the preferred extension for charities and non-profits.

I don't like these. People don't know new Gs.
slickdots, your second question I'm not sure what your asking, why do I think what is? On some of your other observations, thank you. And a longer dot-com, yes for sure if it was sensible.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
So for example I wanted to register a name for my online reservation system and Reservations.com was already taken.....i registered Reservations.Online. In this case, what might have been a longer dot-com? btw, this is the case with 90% of my 4,300 .online domains. This is my opinion, but rarely is there a better .com that makes sense.
slickdots, your second question I'm not sure what your asking, why do I think what is? On some of your other observations, thank you. And a longer dot-com, yes for sure if it was sensible.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most people don't know what .online is.

So for example I wanted to register a name for my online reservation system and Reservations.com was already taken.....i registered Reservations.Online. In this case, what might have been a longer dot-com? btw, this is the case with 90% of my 4,300 .online domains. This is my opinion, but rarely is there a better .com that makes sense.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
"Most people don't know what .online is."

Thanks slick, but from my perspective therein lies the opportunity. You may wish to note that in another thread I started, Rob Monster was quoted saying .ONLINE is an extension worth pursuing.

While I own 4,300 .online great names left of the dot, in 99% of the cases the .com is either in use, parked for no apparent reason, hoarded, or so overpriced it's out of reach for the average "end user"

Your observation is spot on Slickdots. My challenge is to Educate! Educate! Educate!

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People don't want to be educated on new Gs.

They want .com or ccTLD. I know @jmcc research would agree.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score
People don't want to be educated on new Gs.

They want .com or ccTLD. I know @jmcc research would agree.
How do they know they don't want to be educated on new G's if they don't even know what "new G's" are? When the likes of Go Daddy steals from my account Reservations.Online, then turns around and tries to sell it back to me for 500K, this is the sort of education I'm talking about. "End Users" don't care what you or I have to say, but Go Daddy...now that's another story. Make sense?

base

Level 3
Reaction score
How do they know they don't want to be educated on new G's if they don't even know what "new G's" are? When the likes of Go Daddy steals from my account Reservations.Online, then turns around and tries to sell it back to me for 500K, this is the sort of education I'm talking about. "End Users" don't care what you or I have to say, but Go Daddy...now that's another story. Make sense?
Those are great points. Generally I find it presumptuous and bad form to speak for others on what they want or don't want.

That Reservations.Online domain is pretty neat, do you own it?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know there is little demand for new Gs. Despite what sales you see.

Those are great points. Generally I find it presumptuous and bad form to speak for others on what they want or don't want.

base

Level 3
Reaction score
I know there is little demand for new Gs. Despite what sales you see.
You must be kidding. Are you invested in a certain niche, I find often we don't know what's happening outside our area of expertise.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not.

I have never seen a new G on an advertisement on a truck or billboard.

base

Level 3
Reaction score
I am not.

That's surprising. You'll get there, I'm sure. I remember when new gTLDs were relatively unknown a few years back, but their foothold is undeniable now.

Bulloney

Bulloney and Biscuit
Reaction score

That Reservations.Online domain is pretty neat, do you own it?
Thanks Base, you and slick are both right. I've learned that very few "end users" actually know about domains period, much less new gTLD's. As for Reservations.Online i did own it for a brief period of time (even have a receipt for it) and when Go Daddy claimed they made a mistake selling it to me, they took it back. I refer to it as stealing it from me. Not long after they took it back they then sent me an email saying they would sell it to me for 500K, yes that's 500 thousand dollars.

I've met with several attorneys about this and even spoke with my friend Rob Monster. Rob (not a lawyer) told me I might have a case, but the 35 page agreement I agreed to when I bought the domain most likely limits me to $20,000 in damages. That said, until such time a lawyer will handle my case on a contingency, I've decided to tell the world the truth about the crooks at Go Daddy. As such I'm hoping they'll sue me for defamation which will bring attention to me and the new gTLD .Online. You may want to think of it as a marketing ploy on my part. Make Sense?

On another note, i do own Truth.Online and Whistleblower.Online that I plan to use to bring attention to the .Online extension. All i need is a "technical" marketing partner/genius to help me shake up the domain industry and EDUCATE "end users"

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you're planning on doing with that domain.

If you're looking just hold the domain name and resell it at some point, then that would be different than whether or not you're going to develop it.

If you're going to develop the domain, I absolutely would go with a .NET since that TLD showed the best search engine rankings (even better than .COM) in the SEO TLD Test that I ran recently.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen a nggTLD in the wild here in Okinawa. (I don't know how to otherwise classify it: new generic geo TLD)

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You go with .NET since that is a well known domain extension.

If you're going to develop the domain, I absolutely would go with a .NET since that TLD showed the best search engine rankings (even better than .COM) in the SEO TLD Test that I ran recently.

Was this a .OKINAWA? I didn't even know this was an extensions until I just looked it up.

Generally I noticed in Japan they don't care about domains. They use hyphens and all of that.

I have seen a nggTLD in the wild here in Okinawa. (I don't know how to otherwise classify it: new generic geo TLD)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Was this a .OKINAWA? I didn't even know this was an extensions until I just looked it up.
Yep. There's also .RYUKYU for the Ryukyu Islands in which Okinawa is a part of, but I don't think the two are affiliated. Never seen this one in the wild though.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators