Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What is the best name you've picked up on a drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gbrott

I'd be interested to hear the quality of the names everyone has picked up as they expire. Let us know any domains, and if you used a third party service to get them...

thanks

Domain summit 2024

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the ones that I have snapped:

0m.com with snapnames
4x.org with nicgenie

:razz:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What best names? All my best names were picked up by UltSearch and Buydomains, names that I was eyeing for over a year :mad:

Bring on the WLS! There is just too much coincidence here not to suggest that the system has a loophole the size of the grand canyon which certain parties are exploiting to the full.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>Bring on the WLS!

Some people never learn, do they?

But anyway, it's hard to pick out the best name I've got on a drop, because it means going through well over 1,000 names.

webmaster.net spings to mind, but it's not a big money earner right now. The others are the ones paying for my food and lodging.

I just yearn for the days before that idiot "guru" let the cat out of the bag.

L

Lunker

Lunker.com
Solvent.com
popbands.com
1FM.com
Some 3 letter dot coms.
Alomar.com

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole What best names? All my best names were picked up by UltSearch and Buydomains, names that I was eyeing for over a year :mad: Bring on the WLS! There is just too much coincidence here not to suggest that the system has a loophole the size of the grand canyon which certain parties are exploiting to the full.

Agree Mole, fail to understand why so many here are against WLS. It seems like it would definately level the playing field.

Almost every good name I try to grab was taken by either the Chinese or BuyDomains 12 to 24 hrs earlier. :mad: They must have an unfair advantage. WLS may stop that!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Lunker, Did not know you were still active as I thought you had 'retired' from the domain wars long ago.

Those wars at Afternic chat were really something when it was in its heyday about 2 yrs ago and you were the number one combatant from what I recall both at Chat and with the Auctions. I will not be going in to any details.

Isn't it amazing how AN screwed everyone shutting down access to everything with no notification or warning. What bastards!

NetShooter

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CyberGates.Net

S

SiteTutor

one of our owners, picked up a 'live' site, hosted & all.. off a drop list.. it's still a live active site also, and get's traffic, and she only paid for the cost of registration for $8.95

www.EarthBoard.com

you don't pick up "live" sites from drop lists unless you enter the same nameserver details as the original and its still set up on the ns's - if you do that you are basically stealing the hosting as you have no contractual relationship with the host.

S

SiteTutor

well, it sure did happen safesys.
was found on a expired name list..
and was a live site with traffic.

yes, it's the truth.

S

SiteTutor

and the previous owners have even written us about buying it back. we'll see.

You register domains and you set up nameservers when you reg. Those nameserver point to the hosting.

so its either not as you say or someone stealing hosting. period.

just looked at the site, and its a targetwords page.

i sure hope "she" is smart enough to have changed the affiliate code otherwise "she" paid for someone elses income.

Yes. domains and hosting are entirely seperate - by regging a domain you don't get hosting.

S

SiteTutor

right..
but in this oddball case
it is exactly as i tell it to you..

this is what happened.
we reg'd the name..
had no clue at the time it was a 'live site' nor that it was hosted.

it's free hosting through myDomain anyways.

but when we found the name on a drop list.
we immediately reg'd it.

i had no clue till i typed the name into the search browser
that it was 'live'

it's still as it was..
we have never changed any of the content etc.

i have no clue the amt. of traffic.

You clearly don't have a clue, but this is what happened.

"she" regged a domain and used the mydomain nameservers - this essentially brought into play the previous redirect set up by the previous owner (who also used mydomain). That suggests that "she" is not getting a penny from targetwords and is making money for the previous owner.

Priceless.

S

SiteTutor

don't really need the cash safesys

but thanks for being so positive & uplifting..

i don't believe that for one second. given how "she"/"we" believed in aggressive marketing (yet hadn't sold a domain) its clear that making money is a priority.

making money for someone else, and then posting about how the domain has "traffic" is just about the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom