Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld What would you buy if you had an extra 50-100K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddys4

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you would buy if you had some money lying around...

Would you:
Invest in stocks, commodities, etc
Invest in a domain name(s) / portfolio of domains
Buy an existing website.
Pay off your mortgage

Feel free to add anything else not mentioned above.

As well, if you were to buy some domain(s).
Would you buy a .com or .ca?
What name(s) would you buy?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
#1 start a new internet company/service
#2 pay off some mortgage
#3 buy some .com's and .ca's
#4 go on a vary long vacation
#5 donate some

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what some of you would buy if you had some money lying around...

A bank account because money should not be just lying around out in the open like that.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Undeveloped Land and Waterfront property.

I have made an extremely nice, sizable profit (3x - 5x my investment) in selling waterfront property.

Getting ready to list another lot on Lake Norman, outside of Charlotte, NC.

We'll take a chunk of that money and purchase another lot or two.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Buy a foreclosure home in the United States. With their record low prices and our high dollar it's a major win. They will not stay in the hole much longer. :eek:k:

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I had $100K hmmm $50 is ok but not enough to make all my plans work properly(can be done but will take longer). If you are talking about the long run then there is a lot that can be done.

Well the mistakes I have made in the last 3-4 years and the things I have learnt, I can tell you that if I had that money sitting in the bank for me to invest right now, I will def turn it into 7 figures a year income through multiple streams in 2-3 years max. This time around I can def do it with all the knowledge and exp I have acquired by making some mistakes and learning from other people. I won't go into details but I do have a solid plan (I am working on it slowly slowly and will make it happen once the ball gets rolling) and in the long run when I have built a 7 figures a year income I will start investing it in commercial real estate and foreclosed commercial real estate which will be one of the best long term investment for my wife and I, my kids yet to be born and their kids yet to come.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Land. I like the waterfront approach from Doc Com. I would not keep that purchasing power tied up in paper or digital money. Especially not at this point.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Land. I like the waterfront approach from Doc Com. I would not keep that purchasing power tied up in paper or digital money. Especially not at this point.
I am actually seeing bank owned waterfront property coming on to the market. I just found (on the internet) a lot (bank owned) listed at $99,900.00. Waterfront lots in this subdivision are selling from $175K-$250K. I sold a lot in this subdivision two years ago for $175K. I would not be at all surprised if this lot is already sold and I found it listed just two days ago.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Buy a foreclosure home in the United States.
If you are talking for personal residence, then perhaps. But a great majority of foreclosed homes have been trashed, trashed, trashed. It would have to be a major bargain as most need some serious renovation.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

They will not stay in the hole much longer. :eek:k:
Guess again. Those that have been riding it out over the past two years have walked away. Many cities and municipalities that have been safe are now getting hit hard.

Bank foreclosures in reality are up but the reason they showed a dip in the market is because of the new financial regulations passed last fall and took effect in February. In other words, many of the newer foreclosures are tied up in paper work back logs.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would develop 1 domain .com - $35000 on development/php and $65000 on marketing.

I wouldn't bet the farm like that. When asking myself "How much can I invest?", never will I sink more than 50% of what I've got to invest into one particular investment.

Suppose something goes wrong with your site and you lose everything? Suppose an unexpected expenditure comes up that will cause your new site to sink or swim? You want to be ready for the worst to happen. Because it just might happen.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In other words, you always need to have a backup plan.

Exactly. Never put all your eggs in one basket. Because that basket might suck.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

However, it is impossible to plan for the unexpected - the best you can do is know what the worst that can happen is and best prepare yourself for it.

In the case of developing a website, the worst that could happen is that it either gets shut down, or nobody uses it.

If you invested $100,000 of your $100,000, what does that leave you with? Nothing!

By investing only, say, $40,000, that leaves you with $60,000 to start fresh with, out of which you shouldn't invest more than $25,000 into your next venture.

As it is, today's most popular websites are built on the stupidest concepts (i.e. formspring) which I can guarantee you did not cost $xx,xxx to throw together from the get-go.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buy a foreclosure home in the United States. With their record low prices and our high dollar it's a major win. They will not stay in the hole much longer. :eek:k:

Another wave of foreclosures and overall price depreciation (price adjustments) are coming in the US. This isn't the bottom, and this isn't a U shaped or double dip recession. Plan accordingly my friend.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
About half to pay down debt and family vacation, other half to invest in domains and stock market.

For domains, probably LLL.com or super generic .com or .ca

For investments, maybe wait for a market pullback, everything seems high priced now. Or junior mining companies exploring with good potential.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buy a new house and if I have any money left over new equipment - new PC, software and maybe a nice TV / Blue-Ray player and surround sound system. :)

Although I might put an offer in on a LLL.com, too.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buy a new house and if I have any money left over new equipment - new PC, software and maybe a nice TV / Blue-Ray player and surround sound system. :)

Although I might put an offer in on a LLL.com, too.

I was going through a list of available closures in Massachusetts and a lot of nice homes for under 50K!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Surprising, it seems I'm the only one with faith in the US economy.

And I look at it this way - $100k in Canada will barely buy you an empty lot in the far away suburbs of any Canadian city but in the sun-belt you can get a near new view-home for that. A 10% drop on a house that you can use as a vacation home until prices come back is not a bad deal for a Canadian imo.

We keep hearing in Canada that a housing correction is coming - but it's been the complete opposite - all during the recession home prices continued to climb. You can buy seven investment homes in the American sun-belt for the price of just one median-priced home in Greater Vancouver. There's just more potential for profit there than here for property investment at this time imo.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ive heard the property taxes are much higher for non US residents, up to 2x-3x more, the mortgage payment is not the issue... its the property taxes and condo fees that will start drainging your cash flow.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ive heard the property taxes are much higher for non US residents, up to 2x-3x more, the mortgage payment is not the issue... its the property taxes and condo fees that will start drainging your cash flow.

depends on the state/county. Some are very affordable and they know full well that a large percentage of the homes are owned by Canadians - they don't want to kill that gravy train. One culdesac that my wife and I were looking at in phoenix had ten homes - eight owned by Canadians and we would have made nine! We didn't buy there - it would have been too much like home minus the weather! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom