Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

WHEEEEHAAAAAA - 2nd time I sell a Premium Listing Domain at GoDaddy WHEEEEHAAAWWWWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I might try some domains as well.

Luke

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

rns621

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Your Premium Listings domain has sold!

Domain: *****.COM (5 letter)
Date Sold: 2010-Jan-06
Listing Price: $ 295.00
Commission: 30

this is my 2nd domain sold through godaddy. I love GoDaddy. Just got back from school, and got the notice :)
was the commission $30 or 30%? wouldn't 30% of 295 be like, $90 plus the $20 listing fee...

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've premium-listed what I have in GoDaddy but don't have much reason to move what I don't have there to them to premium list those domains. It's not just the 30% commission, but keep in mind they are primarily marketing domains for "under $1 per month" per their commercials. GoDaddy may get a lot of eyeballs, but a lot of those eyeballs are useless from a retail sales standpoint. Maybe when they start educating their customers on the importance of a high quality domain vs whatever they can find that's available, they can convince more of them to get premium domains showing up on their search, but until then, the domain has to be a "must have" and/or everything else they looked at has to be taken in order for a buyer there to be inclined to pull the trigger on a premium listing. It's obviously not a priority for GoDaddy - in fact the person has to make an extra click after their search to even get to the premium listings now, and then scroll down the list to even see them all.

GoDaddy is and has been actually one of the biggest deterrents to secondary market sales even now with their premium listing capabilities - they have by far the biggest reach of any company in this industry, and their focus is, was, and probably always will be to engineer customers that find domains that are available and register them for $7+/yr. That's been their bread and butter, that's what got them the market share they have, so they have no reason whatsoever to get people to realize if they have more money to spend that they can secure a better name for their business and increase their chances of success online. They have always played the "cheap" route and it's worked for them in getting "cheap" customers including us domainers. Compare their commercials with pretty much any commercial during golf tournaments for example (where the target market is businesspeople and investors, the kinds of people we would probably be most likely to make end-user sales to) and you can see that GoDaddy's market is simply not the same and not even close. That's part of why this industry is still not truly mainstream - the pioneering force in our industry is all about using sex to sell cheap products to beer guzzlers during the Super Bowl.

I'm not even sure the average non-domainer GoDaddy customer would even understand that the prices on those premium listings is NOT per year...they are after all paying monthly or annually for the products/services they buy there - they might not realize that the premium listing prices are one-time cost + the ongoing registration renewal fees instead of an annual cost.

So I'm not surprised I haven't sold anything there yet and wouldn't be surprised if I don't make a sale there all year - and in the meantime will probably still be yielding sales from Sedo, Afternic, forums, past buyers etc. as normal. I'm sure it may work well for some people but I just don't see it being truly AMAZING for anyone that's currently using the other means of reaching buyers that are out there.

Last edited:

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have not been paid yet, their payment process sucks

It can take up to 30 days to get paid. That is why I don't use them.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It can take up to 30 days to get paid. That is why I don't use them.

Now its 45 days, its no longer the 21st of each month. It's after 45 days after that they issue a check. It's pathetic, but it sold my reg fee domain and will continue to use them.

After 3 emails and 1 phone call, I finally got an answer.

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I refuse to let anyone take 30% + for a sale, it's just ridiculous IMHO, you can carry on all you like about how "great" this is, but i don't see it, If it's so damn good why don't they figure prominently in published sales figures?

If they just pulled their heads in and went with 10/15% max they would be on a winner and steal some market share from SEDO and the others.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Absolutely sure.

The reality? I believe that they names were "mistakenly" placed in the persons cart and they freaked out once they realized how much they paid.

Someone unfamiliar with the system can easily think that the domain was actually available when they checked.

That sounds like something that could easily happen. Just hand regging a name there is a real pain and confusing.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The premium name sales at Go Daddy is a good system, just add 30% to what you want to get out of the name and you will be happy if it sells.

The payment part needs to get a lot better, it should offer paypal and people should get paid right away, same day as Go Daddy gets paid.

-=DCG=-

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a Domainer since 1999 but never tried GD for selling my domains till recently. Today morning I sold my first domain for $250 less 30% commission. I get paid after 45 days.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a Domainer since 1999 but never tried GD for selling my domains till recently. Today morning I sold my first domain for $250 less 30% commission. I get paid after 45 days.

what's interesting, as an example:

if you sell your domain for 1k

you net $700

the 30% that godaddy retains, equals about 42.85% of the $700 you just earned

if they can earn that amount plus what they owe the seller and can hold each transaction for 45 days

da-da, duh da-da, go daddy go!

dat's a lot of compounded interest and a hell of a spread!

guess Bob ain't as dumb as Danica thinks he is :)

imo...

Deleted member 111831

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just listed about 100 names for 999-3999 - i dont expect to sell any but what the hell, its free

question: it says my listing is for 1.00000 months. do i have to keep re-adding them every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom