Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Where's CoolHost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(Banned)s
Originally posted by nameslave
CoolHost.com (now banned)'s

Originally posted by DomeBase

Hi Steve, It looks like CoolHost will not be responding to your inquiry here, but NameSlave has good information.

What does that mean (BANNED)'s .. how can .. 'coolhost' .. be banned ??? ... h?h .. what for ..

I posted in the wrong darn place ... i didn't see all this B4 ..

And i still am no wiser as to why anybody was banned ... nice of Greg to offer refunds though .. :)

Domain Summit 2024

Kbeb

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What happened to Coolhost? Still lots of space available at DS. Friendly caring environment too. :):laugh:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kbeb
... Friendly caring environment ...
This is exactly what we are trying to do lately: turning DNForum into a professional and business-like meeting place that is user-friendly to domain owners, instead of a fight club.

Restecpa

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sole smiley posts and other unrelated nonsense crap that is latelly being posted by quite a few members are pretty disturbing. They are posting them just to raise their postcount, and such a flooding is something that shouldnt be allowed. Im not sure if banning is a right punishment, but something had to be done.

PS: There are some members of this forum that are still doing this, I hope theyll learn a lesson before its too late.

M

mole

An owner of a website community can effectively chose to do anything they wish with their members with and without notification if they desire unless there is a clause in the paid membership agreement that says that notification will be given prior to a banning. There is none. Therefore, the argument is moot as to why paid members are banned without notice.

To run a community - you need to deal with (1) fraudsters/cheats and (2) trouble makers/trolls on a daily basis. The best thing tool you have to do this is instant banning. It is always a judgement call, and the owners do have full rights to make the final call based on their what they perceive to be threats to the community or conflicting interests.

DNF was started in April last year as a casual place for domainers to hang out - to learn from each other, to ask for help, to get connections, to do business with others, and to basically have fun/jib/banter with similar minded people.

I don't think this has fundamentally changed much. This is not a DK private board where the culture is closed and guarded.

Nonetheless, there will be times when there is a need to put members on 'Chill-Out' mode. Many times, members could had have a bad day at office and then come here to let go steam. On professional forums, it takes mods/adminstrators with great skill to diffuse situations through timely and counselled postings, PMs to the offenders, and then make the reasons for terminations fair and as a notice of last resort. Skilled mods/admins know that it is not good to cut the nose to spite the face. Stopping the damaging postings of errant members is only a small part of the equation.

The signals these actions ripple out to the community is often the most crucial part. Was it fair? Was it fair? Was it fair? ad infinitum - is a signal that this situation was not managed as well as it could have been.

Done with Iraqi execution brutalness, bad karma can be the only consequence. People remember, and when the time comes, they will flee to greener pastures, and the cycle goes, and goes.

I remember how hard NamePopper worked and tried to be a fair and friendly steam diffuser - to the point of himself getting emotionally screwed in the process. If anything, we should all appreciate the efforts of at least one individual here who showed us what a true moderator could be. It is always the easiest thing in the world to slice off tongues, it is probably the most difficult thing in the world, to reform them.

But isn't that what building respect is all about?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, time for my $.02

I am sure the Admin will be reading this, so I'll keep it short and sweet....

I believe in 2nd or 3rd chances, people have bad days, people say things they regret, I always looked up to Coolhost as a senior member, just because he said some things management did not agree with does not changed the fact he gave TONS to this community and he should be brought back ASAP. I would also like to see what he said to get him banned in the first place.... and I would also like to hear CoolHost defend himself in a post to all members, we can then decide what best to do with him.....

ps - anyone want to sponsor me for a platy membership :) ?

FA

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fastautos
I would also like to hear CoolHost defend himself in a post to all members, we can then decide what best to do with him.....

Is it really for "we" to decide what to do when this site is "owned" and run by someone who bought it?
If you bought a business and someone caused you grief would you deal with them, or ask all of your customers what to do?
I have no axe to grind with coolhost but it is for the owner of the site to decide how to deal with those who he feels cause him grief.
Just my opinion.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
It's true it is a business, but is also just as true that it is a community and it is the community that makes the business. If you want the business to prosper you have to let the community prosper and that doesn't work in the form of a dictatorship.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regarding the deletion of threads:

I think a good solution would be to edit the objectionable comments and note that they've been edited by a moderator. And if the thread gets out of hand, close it. That way it's still viewable, but the controversy dies down. A lot of successful forums operate this way.

The entire deletion of threads doesn't sit well with me. The problems being addressed in the thread will just pop up again.

And I am so glad to see one of those members gone: thousands of posts, none of which contained anything informative or useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com