Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed who actually uses .us ?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
the u.s. market is biiiiiiig enough. so, nobody in the u.s. really cares whether the world cares. if it becomes popular among americans thats plenty and more than good enough.

Bingo.

Localization will have a huge impact on the internet (and domain values in the years ahead) now that is imperative for virtually all business to have an online presence. Look at your local newspaper. Here in Tampa a full page ad in the Tampa Tribune that reaches readers in ONLY ONE CITY costs $10,000 for a one time appearance! It will be far more cost effective for businesses to buy domain names with a locally targeted extension (that work all year round) than these vastly more expensive forms of short-term media. The .US extension obviously fits perfectly for every one of those millions of American businesses that don't care about marketing to a whole nation or even a whole state for that matter. The potential in America alone is mind boggling.

In the past a major roadblock for businesses taking the web route was the difficulty surfers would have in discovering their locally oriented website. With the rise of search engines that index everything, that problem is going away. If I want to find sites about Tampa restaurants Google will give me that information immediately and point me to the ones that have their own websites.

I firmly believe that the domain industry's next class of millionaires will include those people who had the foresight to acquire the excellent words, terms and 3-letter acronyms in .US. As I mentioned in a post above, it's not about the corporations, its about selling to the massive (and much larger) small business market that has been priced out of .com.

Domain summit 2024

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
please..

The leader of the new extensions is Duke.

Hands down, no doubt about it.

He was the first one.

Nobody here except him and elequa had influenced me to go after some info/biz and even us.

Duke is very wise. Watch his sales threads to see what to invest in :)

- Jordan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
He was the first one.

Actually I wasn't. I came into the business two weeks after the .US rollout so I missed the best names, but I have been playing a helluva game of catch up! There are several guys around here who were there from the beginning and have much better portfolios. I just stick out because I yap so much!! :-D

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the only thing about .us i don't like is the actual sound of it.

to me it sounds a bit awkward both verbally and visually... all these other extensions roll of the tongue more easily, and they look better.

just wish they had it as .usa as oppose 2 .us. i think that would have been smashing.

and don't underestimate the value of these kind of things on the 'influence makers.' people are basically engaged in all sorts of vanities. and so imho the .usa extension would have been much quicker accepted that .us is.

i think that was a major oversight on the policy makers' part.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
him and elequa had influenced me

By the way, tomorrow - July 2 - is Elequa's birthday. Let me be the first to say "have a great one!" to one of my favorite people in the business. He has aways been willing to help anyone who asks, expecting nothing in return. I think he's getting too old to blow out all of the candles alone, but he will probably have a couple of supermodels on hand to help with the task. :)

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Actually I wasn't. I came into the business two weeks after the .US rollout so I missed the best names, but I have been playing a helluva game of catch up! There are several guys around here who were there from the beginning and have much better portfolios. I just stick out because I yap so much!! :-D

He's talking about me. :-D Now, should I keep EGO.US or sell it?
Doc

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Doc

By all means sell it. I have $50 waiting here with your name on it. :-D

Ooops...I forgot. $100 is apparently the current going rate for the best .US domains. OK, I'll bite the bullet and send you a C note!

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Doc
Nah keep it ;)

You have some nice ones too stoc, personally my confidence in .us is in the cities and three letters.

Ofcourse some of the nice one worder's can't hurt either ;)
- Jordan

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
You have some nice ones too stoc

Pay no attention to him! He's just a showoff. I think the business would be better off if he would just go away (and leave his portfolio behind with me for safekeeping). :-D

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like that guy. He is a good business person. I do agree he's cheap. I list my domain name's at below wholesale and he still asks the question so I saw a domain name I had to have and bought just for people let him. And when they ask me for a discount I will agree If they sign up at cheaps.org just so we can later identify them and when someone really wants to give away a domain name he can go to cheaps.org and send there offer to the member's there. It will be a free service.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
I firmly believe that the domain industry's next class of millionaires will include those people who had the foresight to acquire the excellent words, terms and 3-letter acronyms in .US

Millionaires? Me? You? Us? :-D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:

Yes...but you do understand that I meant ALL of our money pooled together (in about five years) would be a million? :-D

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
the only thing about .us i don't like is the actual sound of it.

to me it sounds a bit awkward both verbally and visually... all these other extensions roll of the tongue more easily, and they look better.

just wish they had it as .usa as oppose 2 .us. i think that would have been smashing.

and don't underestimate the value of these kind of things on the 'influence makers.' people are basically engaged in all sorts of vanities. and so imho the .usa extension would have been much quicker accepted that .us is.

i think that was a major oversight on the policy makers' part.

on the contrary for example when ever you see The US in the news it's always refered to as The US never the usa also its one of the few extensions that form phrases for memory retention ie:: click us ,,,help us,,pay us,,,,join us etc,,,,,,,,,look at US magazine,,,,

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zouzas said:
on the contrary for example when ever you see The US in the news it's always refered to as The US never the usa also its one of the few extensions that form phrases for memory retention ie:: click us ,,,help us,,pay us,,,,join us etc,,,,,,,,,look at US magazine,,,,

well, that is because a lot of americans r lazy and have generally short attention spans and they tend to shorten even the short words: from joseph to joe, from robert to bob, and even from alex to al.. so what is one to expect from three long words? d:)

besides what is the "u.s." anyway? "united states".. of what, whom, where??? i mean that term is used so widely in america today, yet it is not even 100% correct, because it is very generic, in addition to being only partially true. yes, it is used a lot in news, but american news. in fact, you have to remember that internationally most people really don't know what "u.s." is, but they do know what "u.s.a." is.

you have to realize that world over the AMERICA is the strongest brand name. and 'not united states'. its the AMERICA that carries the WEIGHT. so i just find it bad that the most important piece is missing. as in America.

i also disagree with the 2nd part of your note, i personally don't think that makes much difference. in fact, a lot of keywords would benefit from exactly opposite. for example: 'force.usa' as opposed to 'force.us'; 'beautiful.usa' vs. 'beautiful.us', 'newyork.usa vs. newyork.us..etc..

so i still think that it doesn't make perfect sense as it would have if it was .usa as just in that sense would have been immeasurably more shinier, and prestigious, especially internationally. and especially after the american public was so used to three letter extensions .com, .net, and .org, 4 so long.

anyway, that's just my opinion.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
well, that is because a lot of americans r lazy and have generally short attention spans and they tend to shorten even the short words: from joseph to joe, from robert to bob.

Short attention span? That's ridiculous. By the way, no one in the States says Bob anymore....we just "B". :-D

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:

You, Duke and my ex-wife. Excuse me for going on. I meant C,D and my E-W.

By the way why does BFD claim to not participate in I, B or US when they clearly carry many at their WS? I'm also confused with the reason for Ps limited success competing against DC, GC, GD and BH on B, especially since they have over 40 registrars lined up. Does anyone know if EDC, NW, GD or SN are going to expand into catching US?
Doc

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
You, Duke and my ex-wife. Excuse me for going on. I meant C,D and my E-W.

By the way why does BFD claim to not participate in I, B or US when they clearly carry many at their WS? I'm also confused with the reason for Ps limited success competing against DC, GC, GD and BH on B, especially since they have over 40 registrars lined up. Does anyone know if EDC, NW, GD or SN are going to expand into catching US?
Doc

You must be from the US :-D

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what's incredible is how all of a sudden perception of all the forum members about .us name has changed virtually overnight! since the three letter .us buying frenzy was accomplished via this board, all of a sudden - the sellers, who were practically giving their .us domains for free or for $20, started asking three or four figures. some of them even suddenly decided to hold onto a name or two in hope of becoming millionaires in next few years.

it's incredible when u really think about it. i mean, in reality and business world and domain climate in america nothing has ever changed in the last few days, but among resellers here all of a sudden everyone started behaving differently. all of a sudden everyone became confident about their .us names, started walking with a swagger. bla, bla..

i have to admit, that was brilliant move on blink's (and zouzas part) to engage the so called 'herd of followers' into 'defensive registrations'.. etc.. whether all this would be worth it or not, remains to be seen, but purely from strategic point of view i think that was one of the better moves i saw :)

however, the only danger i see is that these newly confident .us domainers will be pricing themselves out of weak .us market that is not really mature at this very moment. so even mediocre names now will be sitting & waiting for 'better times' in many cases (which will discourage development) and only so that they could be offered the same prices they could get today - but, only years from now.

having said this, i'm bying one-word .us domains 'wholesale'. look 4 specs in the 'domains wanted' :)

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find similarities between the domain market and the stock market. If you're looking around and using words like incredible, always consider the "greater fool" rule of the stock market. That is always know who the "greater fool" is. If you don't know, it's you. No insult meant, but it's a key rule of thumb that keeps a player out of long term trouble. Another is don't fight the tape. When a trend becomes obvious, don't get in it's way whether you agree with it's reason for existance or not.

In the example of the .US trend towards rising prices, don't fight the tape, as there are many reasons for the recent shift upward. Blink is just one of the players hoping to take advantage of it early, he's certainly not the reason behind it. Not any more than an investor being blamed for a price increase of a stock simply by wanting to buy that issue at last weeks prices (before the merger announcement).

The "merger" in the .US market happened just recently.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
EDIT - SE INDEXING

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators