Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vision, thank you, I think you have just proved my point!

How many of these companies that you mention also have a main gTLD site?

How many of these companies expect to get consistantly more traffic to their .mobi site over their gTLD site?

Your posts are so monotonous in their 'WOW! This is fantastic - look at this' attitude that they turn most domainers off!

Let us put it simply, after more than a year of existance how many of the Fortune 500 companies have a fully functioning interactive .mobi website? If it is 251 or more then that is news that would be interesting and worth an announcement.

The thread you started earlier about the senior management of .mobi, hell that is a disaster, all that experience and they could not even run an auction at Sedo, and worse still they tried to shaft the winners of the auction, now that is news but I don't see you commenting on that!

So MTV are unleashing a global marketing campaign for MTV.mobi, great, marvellous, how much are they spending on this campaign and how much is their total advertising budget this year? Put things into perspective and give the facts, not just a potted version to suit your needs. Exactly the same can be said for your last sentence.

I can issue a statement saying I drank 12,000 cups of tea, WOW, how did I do that, simple in my lifetime (example only), but do you see without all relevent facts anything can be made to look like it is newsworthy, unfortunately though under examination they are not.

Edit...

By the way the news about MTV.mobi could be the best news yet for .mobi as it will give the chance of penetrating a huge ready made audience ripe for turning into consumers of the service, and in the developed world at least a relatively very wealthy audience.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you .mobi lovers stopped getting so huggy-huggy with each other, and pulling out the shotguns and the chainsaws anytime anyone said a thing against .mobi, I believe there wouldn't be any .mobi haters.

hell dot mobi, you guys start crying when someone even criticizes dot mobi employees...talk about deep love

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you .mobi lovers stopped getting so huggy-huggy with each other, and pulling out the shotguns and the chainsaws anytime anyone said a thing against .mobi, I believe there wouldn't be any .mobi haters.

hell dot mobi, you guys start crying when someone even criticizes dot mobi employees...talk about deep love
This means so much coming from you.

Hey, how about that zagat site.

Bunch of losers, aren't they.

smooth fox terrier number 5.

neat little fella.

Beagle won the Hound group. My dad used to raise beagles. The Beagle was first, the PBGV was 4th. We have a PBGV. He is actually laying next to me asleep and could care less about the Westminster show or .mobi.

51 Labrador Retrievers were entered and I know that they have already had their breed competition. Trying to find the winner. We have three Creme labrador retrievers.

Oh, I'm sorry. I got distracted.

Who's turn is it?

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read again - this time try not to ignore the facts already posted.

Please Acro, if you see any 'facts', list them here.

And so on.

Billbo, your whole argument is that these posts are not news. Well obviously they are - it might not be news that you personally are interested in, but it is for some of us. It shows us that day by day, more mega companies have taken the decision to build out a mobile site using their .mobi name. It shows what way they are thinking. These companies form the basis for how we do business, how we shop, how we are entertained. Far greater news value than whatever any domainers personal viewpoint is.

And they don't make such decisions lightly - think how many meetings would've taken place about which way to go on something like this. How many $s have been spent with PR firms, marketing consultants, etc.

Another point of yours - why do you keep asking if their site was developed in-house? That's what in-house development teams are for - that's why they employ them. It's like wondering why they get someone from credit control to chase outstanding debts.

Finally, you say there are far more major companies without a .mobi site, than with one. While this may in essence be correct, we can be sure that by the end of this week, the 'have-nots' figure will be less, and the 'haves' figure will have gone up; inexorably weakening that argument, bit by bit.

So getting back to the question posed in post #1. Can anyone explain their true reasons for trashing such threads, 'cos if you didn't care, you wouldn't. And so, if you do care, as you surely must, it shows you have a desire - either for it's success, or it's downfall. So guys and girls, be honest, which is it?

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jasdon, i don't know about mobi haters here but what i do know is that 90% of Mods over at NP are IDIOTS that explains why they are .mobi haters

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While I'm not saying wither or not I think the .mobi will be accepted into our society; I think

we all need to come to an acceptance on one thing.

These threads are all the same.

One thing everyone needs to take into consideration, is that everyone here has made some kind of

investment in this business. Some investments as low as a few bucks, and others within a 6 and 7

figure budget. Reasons why a tld could prosper, or flop; are already on the table. There are

pro's, and there are cons. Those that have invested in the TLD are most likely either taking

their chances, or actually believe they will prospher. Who's to deny that to them?

Those that haven't invested in the .mobi in most cases think the mobi will ring its way to

mobiland.

I think that some of those that are anti mobi are only trying to advise; what they believe to be

the best thing to do. If I thought my brother was doing something I didn't think he should do, I'd

tell him. and I'd start by explaining to him why he shouldn't do that. I wouldn't be mad at him, I

wouldn't fight with him or make cutting remarks. If I spit in his face, do you think he would

suddenly say, you know what Andrew, your right. Most likely not.

Either way, in the end, if people don't invest in the .mobi, that's what they have decided on. And

the same for those who have.

Arguing. pointless, useless posts, bump after bump. Member to member criticism regarding something

that someone invested their time and money in. wither you believe in it or not, no ones

investments should be degraded.

I don't think anyone here realizes what potential this community has. Our community is a major

structural support beam on the future of the internet, we've gotta do better then this.

I understand that people just want to express their reasoning. But it creates battles and

criticism and cutting remarks. Does that make domainers look good? Why n o t converse your

ideas... direct your posts towards your explanation and not towards each other. I think that with a

little more professionalizm and a little more understanding towards everyone around you... We can

do some much bigger things.

On a side note...I have never baught a .mobi, but that's not to say where I stand.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying Andrew, but I don't agree with a couple of points;
"I think that some of those that are anti mobi are only trying to advise; what they believe to be the best thing to do."

Where is the advice then? The most used 'excuse' is that they are 'trying to help noobs', so again, I'll deal with that;

Noone is trashing the .mobi threads to help noobs - if anyone wants to help the competition, tell them what to buy, not what they shouldn't buy. Besides, by telling people not to buy, may turn out to be extemely bad advice - who's to say? (check out the latest DNjournal cover story). Hell, I hand reg'd a .mobi two weeks ago and have turned down a $500 offer for it - this name was out there for anyone to grab. If I listened to the anti-mobi gang....

I don't think anyone here realizes what potential this community has. Our community is a major structural support beam on the future of the internet, we've gotta do better then this.

I think you need a reality check on this. The domain community as a whole is just a cottage industry that has barely any influence on the future of the internet. The main hitters on the internet have made up / brand names - what does that tell you?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Please Acro, if you see any 'facts', list them here.

Myself and others have done so, numerous times. I am not gonna play a game of "I know you are but what am I". If you're beyond education, let others to be educated.

freeconnect2000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So your crystal ball is clearer than ours huh...interesting. I guess we should bow to you feet and thank you for the future as it will be...what power you must feel....

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So your crystal ball is clearer than ours huh...interesting. I guess we should bow to you feet and thank you for the future as it will be...what power you must feel....

You see...it's infantile crap like this that I'm talking about. Why don't you use your energy for something productive?

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let us put it simply, after more than a year of existance how many of the Fortune 500 companies have a fully functioning interactive .mobi website? If it is 251 or more then that is news that would be interesting and worth an announcement.

over half the f500 companies, well that certainly is asking a lot!

i can tell you one thing... more fortune 500 companies will have a .mobi address as opposed to .net / .info / .biz or .org - maybe even combined.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namewaiter, the difference is that those who invest in the .net, .info, .biz, do not keep on making threads that in reality are just general hype of a suffix!

So after more than a year the majority of the biggest companies have decided there is no rush to get a .mobi site. Accept that as the starting point. Now what would be of interest is a running count showing when these companies do decide that a .mobi site is important enough so as to develop such. If within the next year the majority still do not develop such sites then the question would have to be asked as to why not.

You say 251 out of 500 is asking a bit much, but I am sure the majority of these companies even have in-house departments specifically charged with dealing with the internet, and they will also have external consultants advising them on such. The fact that by the looks of it the majority have not developed such sites already must mean that the advice they have received from their advisors is that .mobi is not worth developing 'for them'. Why this is so should be looked at and examined.

The news that MTV.mobi is to be developed is 'big news', obviously the MTV corporation has examined the market and decided that this is one market where the .mobi could make significant inroads in the market (and rightly so in my opinion).

Please understand that I am not 'against' .mobi in its entirety, I am against this constant hyping of the domain suffix, and as I have said (now repeatedly) this constant and often meaningless hyping is actually counter-productive.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When will you accept that to some of us, it IS news!

The world doesn't revolve around Billbo.

You are ignoring the fact that some of us extract useful information from such posts, when what YOU should be doing is ignoring the posts, if indeed you get nothing from them. Wouldn't that be the sensible thing to do?

And all this talk of 'hype' is as childish as the MPs in the House of Commons trying to drown out the speech of an opposing speaker. Grow up.

Would you write to the BBC, telling them to stop hyping the Iraq War;

Dear Director General of the BBC'

I wish you people would stop hyping the War in Iraq.

It is not news to me when 4, 5 or 6 people are killed by a suicide bomber - please only report in future when the death toll reaches double figures.

Sincerely

Billbo et al

What about the families of those injured or killed, or even those who have friends in the region? Same story with two totally opposing views.

Don't like the threads? - don't read 'em. Can't see the value in them? - don't read 'em. Pissed off that the names you bought don't produce anything? Tough; that's not our fault. Simple.

By using the intimidatory tactics of the anti-mob, you are trying to stifle freedom of speech. It's bullying at a basic level.

I've seen it happening with IDNs to a lesser degree. Potentially IDNs can be a threat to holders of traffic portfolios, and so can .mobi. I bet if you cross reference the anti-mobs you'll come across many of the same names. This was never the case with any other extensions / formats. Go figure!

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jasdon, you clearly show that constructive criticism is something that you are unable to understand. Again you demonstrate that rather than debate a point where serious issues have been raised and supported by argument that you would rather ignor them. Now as I have said elsewhere in this thread I read the posts because I am a domainer, a professional domainer, and that means that however unfortunate it is I have to read the posts. Obviously you have either read my previous posts on this thread and forgotten what I wrote, or have not read the posts, or decided to totally ignor what I have said in previous posts.

I agree totally, the .mobi domains I bought were a bad investment (except for one by the way, but news of that in the comming weeks I am sure), and that bad investment was my fault, nobody else is to blame. It was I who was taken in by the hype, therefore my fault.

But there is a fundamental point developing here about the forum, and it is this. If a post is made publicly then members are allowed to respond to that post, we hope in a professional manner, to debate any points raised and to aire varying opinions. You, it would seem, would rather only those who agreed with an opening post on a .mobi thread should be the only ones allowed to reply. This is a ridiculous stance on a forum open to all members, why should your pet love of a suffix be any different to that of any other member. All members, who qualify by membership status, are allowed to post and comment on any thread that is posted, that is our right, and to try and discourage members from posting as such, is in my opinion, is alien to the ethos of this forum.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jasdon, you clearly show that constructive criticism is something that you are unable to understand. Again you demonstrate that rather than debate a point where serious issues have been raised and supported by argument that you would rather ignor them. Now as I have said elsewhere in this thread I read the posts because I am a domainer, a professional domainer, and that means that however unfortunate it is I have to read the posts. Obviously you have either read my previous posts on this thread and forgotten what I wrote, or have not read the posts, or decided to totally ignor what I have said in previous posts.

Can you qualify this by pointing out which serious issues have been raised in this thread, that I have not already addressed (within it)? Or was it just another useless blanket statement to try and throw the reader into thinking I hadn't addressed each issue?

I asked Acro to do the same when he tried it, and I'm still waiting for the response. So now it's your turn - qualify it!

I have ignored nothing, and have responded to all points.

But there is a fundamental point developing here about the forum, and it is this. If a post is made publicly then members are allowed to respond to that post, we hope in a professional manner, to debate any points raised and to aire varying opinions. You, it would seem, would rather only those who agreed with an opening post on a .mobi thread should be the only ones allowed to reply. This is a ridiculous stance on a forum open to all members, why should your pet love of a suffix be any different to that of any other member. All members, who qualify by membership status, are allowed to post and comment on any thread that is posted, that is our right, and to try and discourage members from posting as such, is in my opinion, is alien to the ethos of this forum.

Do you read my posts and then basically write the same? In my previous post I wrote about you ignoring facts, and about freedom of speech on the forum. Please try and be original.

On an unrelated post, I saw that you were trying to police the forum to try and make it more professional (Adam must be pleased to have you on board), does that not extend to the .mobi section, or is trashing threads there fair game? Notice I only talk about 'trashing' threads - I have no problem with reasoned comments or opposing views, providing they are backed up with substance.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jasdon,

Re: post 38.
"all I find is a very small handful of domainers who self congratulate each other."

I then state
"the same handful of domainers of .mobi investors who take umbridge that I should question their ideas."

This is followed by
"no reasoned argument is allowed by the handful of domainers."

These points you have not answered, but more clearly my post #41 you have failed to answer the points raised there.

I do not 'police' this forum, what I and a growing number of members do though is to try and make this forum more professional, and we do that because we realise that the moe professional we members are the better it is for us as individual domainers and also for the forum members as a whole, including yourself.

Finally, it is without doubt that you did say/imply (depending on how you read it) that 'I' was bullying and trying to stiffle free speach, this I contest and in actual fact point out it is you who are trying to get people to stop posting opposing opinions to your own. The readers of the thread will decide whose argument carries most weight on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom