Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Worst Registrar....

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WeTLD

Originally posted by RealNames
WeTLD said "I do know Afternic's services/support "suck with gusto" but am not ready to parlay the blame over to "Register.com" because Afternic sucked before the buyout occured."

Dave, That is not so from what I recall, Aftenic was good BEFORE the buyout. I recall they always replied to emails and even had an official visit the chat room and forums once in a while to help out.

Prior to the buyout Afternic was highly respected and gave good personal help and support. It went downhill almost immidiately after the buyout took place. They continued sliding regularly for approx 2 yrs to the point they gave zero support on any subject and finally shut most features down with no notice.

I'll have to disagree. I had nothing but heck trying to finalyze a sale I made through Afternic and in the end I wound up contacting the buyer and finish the transaction between us directly. Afternic had been in business about six months.

P.S. Hope to visit you at the new Prescott Mall this summer! :)

Look forward to seeing you!

Cheers,

Dave Sullivan, WeTLD

Domain summit 2024

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure they had occasional problems and complaints before the buyout (such as in your case), as any company has.

However, the big decline and ignoring member support issues I am almost sure started after the buyout. Anyone else here familiar with the timing?

P.S. Any success marketing your excellent name CityOfPhoenix.us ? I wish I had that name, which may turn out to be valuable due to its uniquenesss. ;)

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with realnames

One thing I recall was the Engineering.org sale on Afternic went for over $200,000 in a bona fide auction. By the way is this the record for a .org?

Afternic was well respected before the the sale to register.com. But after the sale nothing but complaints about poor customer service. A classic symptom of the new owners having to cut back after spending millions to aquire the company. Somewhere in the range of $40,000,000 I recall.

By the way take a look at the stock of register.com over the last few years from over $100 to a low of $5 - $8 range

Register.com Stock at Yahoo

This speaks volumes.

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
NetSol: expensive but lousy support. The whole world knows it.
Never reply customer's enquiry, or reply after 2 weeks, giving
you a general answer, which can be found in FAQ.

EasySpace: same.

Register.com is doing ok coz they usually get back to me within 48 hours.

Originally posted by Nic
The top 2 are the worst .
Netsol.com and Register.com

(its not an opinion... its a FACT)

4domains.com more worst those two
each domain have one use name and password
worth thing you can not choice use name

Originally posted by Nic
The top 2 are the worst .
Netsol.com and Register.com

(its not an opinion... its a FACT)

Agreed 100%.

I will never forget Register.com's preposterous move to initiate "automatic" renewals of your domains through the credit card # they had on file for you. If you wanted to "opt out," you had to do so manually, one domain at a time.

I phoned them up and demanded they opt me out on all my domains, which they did after some back-and-forth.

Any company that would pull a desparate stunt like that gets zero respect from me.

Miles

E

EroGenius

Originally posted by Namethink
Any company that would pull a desparate stunt like that gets zero respect from me.
Miles

I probably have bad self-esteem, but I didn't mind that too much. They let you change everything over yourself with a bulk-manager interface. It's not too bad. Was a bit odd though.

Register.com has been my salvation from NetSol, and over time has just become pricier than I can afford... the feature however were nice.... until I ran into DiscountDomainRegistry.com. They let me change settings on domain en masse, which is very nice... for instances, changing the DNS records on 50 domains in one swing. I still appreciate what they offered at a time where NetSol was convincingly getting people to pay $100+.

I had to let more than a few friend now what was up.

Register.com is still VERY cool for me. If I had money pouring out of me, I'd stay with them, but economics say otherwise. I have a moutain of domains still with them, although I may start transferring them in the next year or so.

~ EG

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't know anything about Register.com, but I have dealt with Netsol. They "accidentally" deleted one of my domain names.
At first they denied it was ever registered with them, but then I whipped out the old "welcome" email from Verisign, specifically showing the registration and the expiration date (06/02/03).

Long story short, even though they admit it was deleted by them (at least they admit it over the phone), they won't issue a refund.

I can live with losing the $35 reg fee and the few hundred the name was worth. But what I don't understand is their short-sightedness. They didn't just screw me out of $35+, they screwed themselves out of thousands more in potential customers.

All they'd have to do is look at the number of folk$ who've read this thread.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RacerX Verisign and Register.com. The two most crooked registrars by FAR. Enom is a close third in the crooked dept. The best registrar hands down: opensrs.

It's too bad OpenSRS has such a high wholesale price ($10) which their resellers pay. They have not changed it in ages but prices paid by others have declined as much as 40% or more while OpenSRS stays with the same fee structure from approx' 2 yrs ago.

This is why myself as an OpenSRS reseller is seriouslly thinking about switching to Enom, who's wholesale price is much lower. Plus, OpenSRS will not help in any way with installing their upgrades, forcing a high priced programmer to be hired if you do not have one on your staff or are not a computer geek yourself.

P.S. The programming cost of constant updates is greater than the profits for low volume resellers like myself. OpensSRS will not lift a finger to help out other than refer you to a suggested third party programmer. It's too bad theWitt (My Ostrich) and other OpenSRS experts here will not comment on these several threads about this. :rolleyes:

T

Tee

I'm disappointed with dotster lately. The customer service response time is getting worse and worse and they don't seem to know what they are doing. I did an info transfer that took over a month even though it was all said and done 5 days after the request. They use to be my favorite.

The worst has got to be the infamous Netsol/Verisign.

I've heard bad things about enom privately.

Register.com is too expensive and the whole auto charge of the credit card thing they started really turned me off to them. They should have offered it but not activated it by default.

I like directnic but don't know much about them.

Agree, NETSOL is by far the worst. No one close. Register was good when it was small, then it became horrible. ENOM is unethical, grabbing some domains for themselves instead of its customers. Directnic is great, he had a brilliant idea as an OpenSRS reseller and is doing amazing business.

T

Tee

Directnic is an open srs reseller?

What does it take to be a open srs reseller?

Anyone know where I can get info about this?

Thanks

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tee
Directnic is an open srs reseller?
Thanks

They are no longer an active OpenSRS reseller since they have become a registrar themselves.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As an Opensrs reseller for the past two years, I have always received excellent service and support.

I just recently signed up with eNom to try things out. So far I am *very* impressed with eNom's system. The prices are excellent as well. My transfers from OpenSRS and GoDaddy have gone very smoothly too.

I signed up through alldig's reseller program at domainhighway.com

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
is an opensrs reseller. Has been, and is now.

T

Tee

I want nothing to do with enom. I don't like godaddy either.

Sorry for my ignorance, I usually just stick with dotster or use exotic foreign registrars.

How does opensrs work? What is it exactly? Must I deal with a reseller? Is there an actual main open srs registry from which everyone else becomes a reseller?

I like directnic, but I'm sure I could do cheaper based on what I've seen people pay here. From where does directnic become an open srs reseller?

Thanks

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
already directly answered your question above.

Just apply to be your own opensrs reseller. Real simple. Just follow the directions. It takes $500 upfront and passing the rite test. After you are done you will wonder why you didn't do this two years ago.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ- As an Opensrs reseller for the past two years, I have always received excellent service and support. I just recently signed up with eNom to try things out. So far I am *very* impressed with eNom's system. The prices are excellent as well. My transfers from OpenSRS and GoDaddy have gone very smoothly too. I signed up through alldig's reseller program at domainhighway.com

I am also an OpenSRS reseller but seriously thinking about becoming an Enom Reseller instead due to their much lower reseller pricing vs the high $10 OpenSRS wholesale cost they have maintained for ages - while others have dropped their prices.

Have been trying to get some feedback on this issue from well known OpenSRS resellers here like theWitt (My Ostrich) to no avail as they do not reply to requests for the pros and cons, possibly because they do not want to say anything negative, I am guessing.

It's difficult to compete with Enom resellers only paying $5.95 or $6.95 wholesale vs $10 wholesale, which is the main reason I likely will move away from OpenSRS. OpenSRS is also highly resistant and negative on allowing bulk domain locking for some odd reason, something which would be a very valuable tool.

Another big negative is they refuse to help in any way installing their often updated versions, requiring a costly 3rd party programmer be hired to do the installation. :mad:

Please tell us more about the pros and cons. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators