Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should I pay the $50 and sign up for Afternic?? It seems to have the best interface but some of the bids seem sketchy. Are people really paying that kind of money for quality domains? I have several in my possession with great potention. I've looked at a few other auction places but the interfaces suck compared to afternic. Give me some advice.

Domain summit 2024

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
stand by for the comments

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
but that has to be the 'newbiest' question in the last month here.

RacerX will keep it real simple for ya: You keep that Ulysses S. Grant safely in your pocket, and don't let Afternic even see his beard.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Or to put it this way :
Afternic sucks bigtime.

W

WeTLD

Afternic!

Stay away from the shill bid capital of the usa.

Nuff Said!

Cheers,

Dave Sullivan, WeTLD

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
K now what are my alternatives now that we've ruled afternic out? Should I start contacting people directly unsolicited?

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
try these :
greatdomains.com
sedo.co.uk
and i forget the new one...someone had posted it here somewhere

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Forget any domain auction site.They never do anything for you in terms of sales just because their whole concept is a wishful thinking but not a realistsic one.
Why?
Because the ENDUSER buyer is so NOT familiar with the idea of BIDDING on a domain he wants.An enduser buyer if interested in a domain wants to BUY the name, not BID on it.Even worse, most domain auction sites need the potential buyer to sign up with them before he can make a bid.
Which means domain auction sites by their very concept do everything to make it difficult and uneasy for a potential buyer to buy a name - not to mention the hassle of wading through 100000 of crappy names to find a decent one.
Better:
- Make a general "for sale" page for your domains and redirect them to it.
- Proactive marketing: Coldcall potential buyers.
- Develop your domains, hook up with an affiliate program/ppc and add a for sale link/popup to them

W

WeTLD

Originally posted by beatz
- Make a general "for sale" page for your domains and redirect them to it.
- Proactive marketing: Coldcall potential buyers.
- Develop your domains, hook up with an affiliate program/ppc and add a for sale link/popup to them

Excellent suggestions!

This is how I sold or leased many of my names as well. If you put your name/s on an auction site, it's like trolling in hopes you will get a bite. However, if you follow the aforementioned steps above you will be much more likely to hook the big one. ;)

In addition, I'd suggest looking into foreign markets to sell your names especially if you've got that category killer name.

Cheers,

Dave Sullivan, WeTLD

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So let's say for instance I had nabbed INSURANCE.US in the "round rob-ya" thing (which i didn't). Would I start calling up insurance companies in america saying he i'm joe blow and I have a domain name that I think your business could really profit from and it's easy to remember. Then give some talk about keywords and a lot of other fluff. Then I'd probably hear they already have a website so I hang up and move on to the next one? Should I be looking more for investors who are willing to shell out or the company (end user) who obviously probably already has a crappy website name they are used to and none of the cash to pay what I think it's worth? Most people want to get things for free or next to nothing nowadays.

Then finally email vs. calling on the phone vs. writing a letter.

Comments? Suggestions? Real examples?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that serious prospective buyers will be typing in that name into the address bar to see what's on the other side.

Fix your homepage. That's always the starting point.

beatz is offering free domainname logos for that :D

Originally posted by mole
I have no doubt that serious prospective buyers will be typing in that name into the address bar to see what's on the other side.

couldn't agree more, seems that how the vast majority of names are sold.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GreatDomains.com USED TO BE great: they have a lot of traffic from the buyers' end, and I sold a number of names through them and received payment in days (the fastest being 4 days and I got the cheque in a courier package). But then they start charging a $125 MINIMUM commission ...

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well all of my pages have logos/pictures and contact information on them. I have gotten a few emails from people pissed that I got the names but that's about it lol.

W

WeTLD

Originally posted by clemzonguy
So let's say for instance I had nabbed INSURANCE.US in the "round rob-ya" thing (which i didn't). Would I start calling up insurance companies in america saying he i'm joe blow and I have a domain name that I think your business could really profit from and it's easy to remember. Then give some talk about keywords and a lot of other fluff. Then I'd probably hear they already have a website so I hang up and move on to the next one? Should I be looking more for investors who are willing to shell out or the company (end user) who obviously probably already has a crappy website name they are used to and none of the cash to pay what I think it's worth? Most people want to get things for free or next to nothing nowadays.

Then finally email vs. calling on the phone vs. writing a letter.

Comments? Suggestions? Real examples?

eMailing prospects is not a good idea because the majority of them are deleted immedietly and thereafter added to the company's spam list.

Cold calling has been my best effort.

But don't call folks up and say:

"Hello, I've got a domain name to sell; Do you want to buy it?"

Bottom line is, you have to show the potential buyer why the name makes sense to them and how it would benefit them based upon factual data. This means you will have to do some homework on the potential buyer's company and discover just how much business they get from internet related activities.

Some companies simply have a single web page. Usually these company's aren't interested in furthering their internet presence.

Look for those companies that collect data from the end-user as your best prospects.

On some of my names, I show potential buyers how the name would benefit them by placing a banner or pop-up for them as a trial at the proposed URL, then collect statistical data on it's popularity. If they see an increase in traffic, they will most likely lease or buy the name outright.

Cheers,

Dave Sullivan, WeTLD

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WeTLD

"Hello, I've got a domain name to sell; Do you want to buy it?"

People do it here all the time :laugh:

W

WeTLD

Originally posted by mole

People do it here all the time :laugh:

Well My Lil Mole Buddy!

I'd laugh :laugh: too!

However; Your quote of my prose was out of context with the line of text preceeding it.

Cheers,

Dave Sullivan, WeTLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators