• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed Al Gore Wants My Domains ClimateProject.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Namestrands decides to not sell, that of course is his choice.

From what I read on this Forum, there are many of you that take these domain inquiries WAY to personal for whatever reason, whether it be politics or what have you, we need to remind ourselves that were in this business to make money, to provide a better life for ourselves and family, for those who have already achieved their wealth, by all means donate.



From a business standpoint, this is complete nonsense to say the least.

As someone with a degree in business management and marketing, I can only conclude you are blinded by greed as it has narrowed your viewpoint so much you cannot see anything beyond short-term monetary gain. That my friends is true business nonsense.
 
Namestrands, you and I seem to always see many things eye to eye, but if you choose "not to sell" for whatever your reasons may be..I think you are making a very unwise business decision and basically you have been given a golden ticket here to "cash in" with and do the right thing, but like all tickets it's only valid for a certain limited amount of time...because when this project fades certainly into the grey clouds of yesteryear and is all over and done with you will surely wish you had taken a fair chunk of that "not-for-profit" cash flow, which has to get spent now in other ways and not on the domains you own which they want to buy, this statement above of course is assuming you have disclosed all the information here, for all I know you asked them for $xx,xxx and they came back with like $500 or something max..was this the case?
 
you've never said what it was appraised at? $50?
 
Sell quick --

Record cold, snow and storms along the entire Pacific coast from Canada to Mexico already this year, central USA getting it's 3rd massive winter storm, ice flows in Canada growing southward at a record rate, trapping boats in the process, 2006 was the first hurricane season in many years with ZERO hurricanes coming ashore...

Al Gore's Global Warming myth has been thorughly debunked.

I gotta go find a heater - it's 30 in San Diego, far, far colder than normal.
Not to move off topic, but there are obviously two sides to this debate, and most of the scientific community would disagree that any "myth" has been "debunked." Global warming is a long-term trend, not an instant progression toward warmth everywhere ...

Anyway, here in the northeastern US, where we typically get heavy snowfalls during the winter, we haven't seen a single flake yet, and it's been in the 60s and 70s lately. I gotta go find a fan - it's far, far hotter than normal. :-)
 
we are all gonna die :sad:
 
I have removed the domains from parking and redirected them to theclimateproject website until such times as I make a either a business or a moral decision on their future.

I don't see how pointing your names to the buyers site will help you. If anything it will make negotiating more difficult for you imo.
 
I'd probably ask more about what is planned for the names. I'd want to see a full proposal before choosing to donate or ask for a reasonable price.
 
If you don't want to donate the domain, then a nominal amount $500-$1000 makes sense to me. But of course, this one hinges on both a moral decision and a business decision.

I wouldn't allow the matter to linger too long if it were up to me.
 
Without the background info I would have appraised these two domains at Low $xxx. Climate info just isn't a strong market to warrant a high price.

Knowing they will develop the .orgs automatically will send you some traffic you can make money from PPC. So your value to keep them, now goes up. They are now in fact traffic/revenue domains (assuming they weren't making anything before).

And of course the price of any domain goes way up depending on who wants it and how badly they want it. Knowing that an individual or company with money wants the domain, you can charge alot more. Whether you feel its gouging is up to you, as other people have said, you may feel just to get as much for it as you can.

In any case, base appraisal without all the background is -

Low $xxx.
 
AfterNIC Appraisals for those who were interested. - Potential Market Value.

ClimateProject.com - $4500
ClimateProjects.com - $1765
 
...and? What did they say back via email? :confused:
 
If these were my domains I would ask for what I paid for them and nothing more beyond a permanent link from their existing website(s). It might cost you a bit now in $'s but it could reap you more later.

Ask what you paid for them? your kidding right?

Yes, it "could" reap more, but I see nothing that indicates that it would.


Think of the good press - by them and what you can create on your own through press releases etc.

:greenconfused:
 
Told them that I do not wish to sell.

Why would you point the names at the buyers website and then tell them that you don't want to sell? You need to be straight with these people. Doing one thing and saying another looks bad. I would have invited an offer.
 
So you want to give them the usage of the domains and keep ownership?
I understand, they are YOUR domains but you don't think they are gonna try to wipo these domains from you?
 
I dont mind if the WIPO the domains. I owned 2 years before they launched, I am not trying to gain from them nor did I offer to sell it to them.

so tell me where is the bad faith? I would of thought all I had shown was good faith.

Why would you point the names at the buyers website and then tell them that you don't want to sell? You need to be straight with these people. Doing one thing and saying another looks bad. I would have invited an offer.

Thats the great thing about being an individual, we get to make our own decisions.

Granted when I first received the request I was somewhat counting the pennies, but hey if I can do some good with my domains then it makes up for some of the bad :-)
 
I have read a lot of WIPO cases, just because I find them so interesting....Your asking for big trouble Namestrands when you redirect to the infringed web site, it is "bad faith" at least from the cases I read when someone redirects. I suggest you park it anywhere else but there and do it right now.
 
I am sure there was more to it than just redirecting.

(i) circumstances indicating that you have registered or you have acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to the complainant who is the owner of the trademark or service mark or to a competitor of that complainant, for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name; or

(ii) you have registered the domain name in order to prevent the owner of the trademark or service mark from reflecting the mark in a corresponding domain name, provided that you have engaged in a pattern of such conduct; or

(iii) you have registered the domain name primarily for the purpose of disrupting the business of a competitor; or

(iv) by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to your web site or other on-line location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of your web site or location or of a product or service on your web site or location.



I dont believe any of the above apply
 
If the public get used to using the .com to get to Als page and then you point it elsewhere............then what ?

Cool name by the way. Good luck with it.
 
I'll have to look those cases up again, when I find them I'll post the links.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom