Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld CIRA's EPP Migration ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like everything went off well as planned by CIRA and the system is back live, although the Registrars are yet to go live. Interested to see what has really changed.. and how all this will work out in the days ahead...

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tried to renew a domain and the 10dollar.ca system gave a message that said wait until Oct.14 until after 2:00pm.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sold two websites yesterday so I'll get to try out the new system once escrow is cleared. Anything would be an improvement over where it was but hopefully I don't have to wait too long for the registrars to get up to speed.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they killed those useless profiles that most registrars don't know how to deal with anyways.

Registrant transfers have always been a nightmare.

-=DCG=-

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://registrants.cira.ca/user - brings up a 404. The profile is not so bad - at least you can see all your domains under one registrant profile even if they are across numerous registrars.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it gonna be hard to track down those names now that are with other registrars??

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well escrow money just cleared and waiting to hear from two registrars just how they are handling the changes. I don't see anything new under either sibername or namespro.ca.

Namespro.ca customer service sent this:
With the new CIRA EPP system, the registrant ownership transferral process (where the domain is renewed for another year and hence costing $12.88 + tax) has been lapsed. Instead, we can simply move the domain on your behalf to another registrant profile, provided that the domain has been registered or transferred for more than 60 days. As a result, the process is now free of charge (as the process does not induce any domain registration extension).

Still unsure how this will work should the buyer want to move the domains to another registrar...

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Edit - just got this from sibername:

The system upgrade at CIRA has been extended another 24 hrs and so we might want to wait for another 24hrs for these functions to be working fine.

Anyone else selling/transferring domains today?

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Canadian Domain Name Services (cadns.ca) were up and running shortly after CIRA opened back up. Registered a couple of names with them first thing and I can see my EPP codes. They are the only registrar I have seen so far who appear to be completely updated with the new system.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they killed those useless profiles that most registrars don't know how to deal with anyways.

Registrant transfers have always been a nightmare.

-=DCG=-

Waiting to process a sale.

Still prefer the previous system with namespro who knew what they were doing.

Only advantage to this is not having to pay renewal fee (which i always tacked onto the sale invoice anyways).

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It appears the person who bought from me is going to use godaddy - they are telling him that we will have to wait till the end of the week or the start of the next for them to be able to handle the transfer.

namespro - now but manually with assistance from customer service
sibername - tomorrow at the earliest but not sure if it will work
godaddy - couple of days or more
cadns - ready to go
others - ?

I don't mind waiting a few days - the sites still earn revenue! :eek:k:

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We've been ready since this morning. Considering CIRA's EPP test server has been available for several months now I'm somewhat surprised other registrars are not.

All our clients can retrieve their EPP codes in our client area and we can receive transfers via EPP codes now (which makes for instant transfers).

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Well escrow money just cleared and waiting to hear from two registrars just how they are handling the changes. I don't see anything new under either sibername or namespro.ca.

Namespro.ca customer service sent this:

Still unsure how this will work should the buyer want to move the domains to another registrar...

Registrar transfers will still incur a fee. The registration period is automatically extended by a year. Even if the domain is already registered for the CIRA maximum of 10 years, a 1 year fee will still apply (but will not extend the expiry date).

Additionally, registrar transfers cannot occur within 60 days of the domain being registered, or within 60 days of the domain having just been transferred from another registrar.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We saw a domain at webnames change registrants immediately. The only problem is we did not instigate, authorize or approve the change.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We saw a domain at webnames change registrants immediately. The only problem is we did not instigate, authorize or approve the change.

?

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
QM,

So what's the process like now to transfer domains into namespro?

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is where things get a little more complicated. When a domain expires (ie not renewed before the expiry date), it now enters an "auto-renew grace period". The domain can still be fully functional during this period (although the registrar can disable DNS on the domain during this period it if they choose). The registrar is charged money when the domain enters auto-renew grace. However we can get that money back by "deleting" the domain. Which is obviously what we would do if the registrant did ultimately not renew. Domains are in this auto-renew grace period for 45 days. If we don't delete the domain by the end of the 45 days, it goes back to registered status.

If the registrar "deletes" the domain during the auto-renew grace period, it then goes into "redemption grace" status for an additional 30 days. During this time DNS does not work at all, however the domain is still available for renewal. After the 30 days of redemption grace are up the domain is gone for good and it goes to TBR.

So in theory, we could wait until the 45th day before we "delete" the domain, and then wait another 30 days, before finally deciding to renew. Or alternatively, some registrars may just delete the domain right away after it "expires", and then there are only 30 days of redemption grace.

So basically, depending on the registrar, the period after a domain expires while you are still able to renew it is at least 30 and at most 75 days.

To be on the safe side.. if you insist on waiting until the last minute, I would do it after 29 days. I would hazard a guess that many (if not most) reps at registrar's won't really know how their system works, and how much time you really have... so it's better to be on the safe side.

DomainSpace

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
https://registrants.cira.ca/user - brings up a 404. The profile is not so bad - at least you can see all your domains under one registrant profile even if they are across numerous registrars.

Agreed. I just registered 2 new domain names and in past we just put another domain name and email into the forum and it copied our information. Well it didn't allow me to do that for the .ca (privacy reasons it stated). So, I had to register fill out the new CIRA registrant for these domains. I then got an email that stated the following - DomainName is active in the CIRA registry. It may not work on the internet for up to 24 hours.

Last edited:

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just sold my first domain to an enduser under this new system. Going through the process now so I will keep you updated on how easy I find it. Going through Namespro.ca so I expect it to go pretty smoothly.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the registrar "deletes" the domain during the auto-renew grace period, it then goes into "redemption grace" status for an additional 30 days. During this time DNS does not work at all, however the domain is still available for renewal.

Should you not say "still available for redemption" ?

Another change made exclusively for the benefit of the registrars - to legally extort a redemption fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators